Nissan NV Passenger-Short term review and modifications

22,280 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Aggietaco
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here comes The Beast...

As promised, here is my long review of our new Nissan NV 3500 Passenger. So, how on earth did we decide on this? Well, Doc Jock and I, begining responsible and all, went and got her knocked up for a 4th time (little Gus arrived at the end of October). Oops. My first thought after doing this was "Suburban, here we come." And I thought long and hard about it. But a few negatives kept popping into mind. The two foremost being: getting 4 kids in and out will be a major PITA and GOOD GRIEF HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICE THAT IS NOT MUCH LESS THAN OUR FIRST HOUSE!!!!

The first person to turn me onto the NV was our own A&MArabie, who has one for his own huge family. So after some research, a test drive, and much thought, the SilverBeast joined the family on October 3rd. Since then, I've put > 4k on it, mainly in city driving.

THE REVIEW
-First off, this thing is a beast. It is HUGE. I mean really, really huge. Parking is a consideration, especially with garages. It fills the lane on the highways. The only vehicles taller are semis and the big sprinter types.

-The size, plus the 5.6L V8, means that it is also thirsty. I'm averaging about 12.5 in mixed city driving. The headgear (more on that later) knocked it down around 0.5 mpg. But considering number of people I'm hauling, it evens out.

-This thing was designed to be a commercial hauler for churches, daycares, and such. And the "creature comforts" show it. I fixed a number with my mods, but basic stuff like garage door openers and vanity mirrors and oil life aren't present. Not a deal breaker for me at all, but odd. The factory stereo was crap and no entertainment ability (fixed that). Considering who is buying these things (big families not commercial), I seeing this getting addressed when they are redone in 18/19.

-The seat flexibility is as advertised...if you are man enough to do it. It comes with 3 rows (plus 2 front seats), which will handle 12 full sized adults. They advertise 11ty billion different seating configurations, which is pretty much fact. We have ours set at "max legroom", where you pull out the back row and the bump the other two back a little. It is nice. But be aware, the seats are insanely heavy. And big. I can handle them by myself barely, and I'm 6'6". I don't see a normal sized guy being able to, no matter how strong they are. And the wife helping...ha!

-Interior space rocks. I can easily get all 4 kids in and out with no issues and have 2 more adults in the back part with our current setup. And tons of hauling space. It is awesome. No seat jumping, no having grandma climbing in the back (like in the wife's minivan). Easy and convenient. Toughest thing is the step up, but I'm there to lend a hand if need be.

MODIFICATIONS!
-Full length top rack from Aluminess Products. Will come in very handy for joint vacations and hauling kayaks around. And it looks boss.
-Sound proofing in the ceiling to dampen wind noise from the rack.
-50" light bar on front and 2 flood lights on back.
-LED light under the sliding door.
-LED turn signal indicators in the rearview mirrors.
-New Pioneer stereo.
-2 amps, which will allow better volume control in the back.
-Subwoofer (under front passenger seat).
-Took 6 speakers up to 8, with better quality.
-One 13" video player with a second 12" monitor which is a slave to the primary.
-Homelink garage door opener.
-Alarm.
-Numerous stickers, because why the hell not?

Fresh off the hauler

Base setup

Max-legroom with carseats

With headgear

Kayak rollers and lights

Video setup

What overnight looks like with 4 kids

Ol Jock 99
AG
Some other fun things:
-I've had numerous friends text me "hey, are you at _____" or stop by when I'm working at a coffee shop because they saw The Beast.
-I've had quite a few conversations with random folks about it. From Jeep guys, to big pickup dudes, to classic car folks, to the young black guy who called it the "dopest van I've ever seen".
-People tend to respect The Beast while merging.
Salt of the water
AG
Great review, way to make it your own! The beast is an appropriate name for sure.

Do they sell a 4x4 version? I know it's getting pretty hard to find a 4x4 full size van these days without getting someone like Quigley to convert it for you. Your tow hooks and led bar made me wonder.

Ol Jock 99
AG
No 4x4 and no diesel. Quigley does mod them, but that's an extra ~$12k I couldn't justify. I am curious if that gets changed when they are redone in 18/19.

The guys at Trophy Nissan, where I bought it, say they've sold more NV Passengers than anyone else in the nation at 400 since introduction. Of that 400, 9 have been sold to commercial entities like churches. The rest have been to big families. I'm sure Nissan will notice this trend.
KY AG
AG
You sir, are my hero.
The Fife
Nice review. I wonder if the demand will push Toyota to release the Hiace in the US. We had them as taxis about half the time while we were in Mexico and they weren't bad at all.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I have seen two of them out here in ETX being driven by "i gave birth to the whole team" moms. How big was the price jump to get into Mercedes' version? I would guess it was trimmed out a little nicer?
evan_aggie
AG
The US doesn't seem to like noseless car/vans a whole lot...not sure why. Or maybe that is what the manufacturers have inferred from long ago. I'm sure today it'd sell if the price was right.
evan_aggie
AG
You mean the Sprinter? I think that is $10-15,000 more.
Silvy
AG
quote:
Toughest thing is the step up, but I'm there to lend a hand if need be.

Next modification should be slammed.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
I have seen two of them out here in ETX being driven by "i gave birth to the whole team" moms. How big was the price jump to get into Mercedes' version? I would guess it was trimmed out a little nicer?

I looked them, but a couple issues. They are TALL. I think the base is 8.5 or 9'. Forgot getting it in the garage. Plus I wanted a truck. I take it camping, hunting, etc. You may do that with a MB in Africa, but not here.

I also read on one of the big family blogs about a crew that traded in their sprinter for a NV and how much more they like it.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Looks great. Time for an UpRev tune (or at least a BullyDog GT) and some long tube headers.
AggieGunslinger
AG
10-4, the Mercs are really tall. I really thought the price difference would have been much greater than that.
KY AG
AG
The Mercs are typical Merc-lolbad quality. A contractor friend I know has one and when it works it's great - but he's had it in the shop about 3 times a year since he's had it.
Ol Jock 99
AG

Mom asks us to bring 8 folding chairs at the last minute? No problem!
zap
AG
nice job
The Wonderer
lawless89
Time for some all terrains on that bad boy.
sts7049
AG
badass
Complete Idiot
You typed 5.8l, but is it really the 5.6l they put in the Titan and Armada? I had the 5.6L in a Titan and added long tube headers, performance exhaust, CAI, and Uprev tune - it's a good engine but that made it even more fun.

Growing up our family had full size econoline type vans, but sure why those still aren't more popular with the shorter nose and overall length. This NV looks even more unwieldy on the road, but I've never driven one to compare.
Picard
AG
Ol Jock 99
AG
Oops, you are correct. 5.6L. Fixed.

I've driven other full sized vans and this is no more unwieldy than they. I like the look of the Nissan are an aesthetic standpoint. It looks much more "truck-like".
aTm2004
AG
quote:

Nice Saddleback briefcase.
Drewmeister
AG
Did you compare the Ford Transit and Ram *cough* Fiat *cough* Promaster?

Personally I think the Promaster is ugly, and FWD is weird in a full-size van but probably not really a huge deal since minivans are all FWD. Probably gets better mpg, especially with the diesel. The Transit has the 3.5L Ecoboost and a Powerstroke I5 diesel; I'm sure both destroy the Nissan in mpg. I know I've seen some low-roof transits that look like they'd fit in garages easily, although the mid- and high-roof models are more popular among contractors (being able to stand up in the back must be nice). I don't really know anything about the passenger configuration, aside from "it exists", and have no idea how it compares to the Econoline.
Corps_Ag12
AG

quote:
The Transit has the 3.5L Ecoboost and a Powerstroke I5 diesel; I'm sure both destroy the Nissan in mpg.

This may be a silly question, but why isn't this in the F150 right now??
Ag03 CQE
AG
I had seen one of these ever until I went to the Fullness of Truth conference in September. They were everywhere. Definitely the new go-to for large families.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:

quote:
The Transit has the 3.5L Ecoboost and a Powerstroke I5 diesel; I'm sure both destroy the Nissan in mpg.

This may be a silly question, but why isn't this in the F150 right now??
Because ford is testing Land Rover's 3.0L V6 Diesel in the F150.
Dill-Ag13
AG
I salute you for going full van and skipping that mini crap.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Based on Land Rover history, that sounds like a bad decision.

I thought Ford sold all their stake in the Land Rover family to TATA Motors?
AgAttack
CanyonAg77
AG
Okay, I missed this the first time. Looks very cool in a weird way, definitely looks useful. Looks like the Love Child of a suburban and a minivan.

I find it interesting that a Texas dealer is selling a butt load of them, and not for their intended purpose. For those not old enough to remember, that's pretty much how the Suburban/SUV craze started. 'Burbans were work haulers and plain jane. A few Texas dealers started putting options on them like carpet, stereo, etc. and selling them as family haulers. It started taking off, and GM noticed, and the rest is history.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
Based on Land Rover history, that sounds like a bad decision.

I thought Ford sold all their stake in the Land Rover family to TATA Motors?
Replying for 5 months ago, but they still do business together.

The 2.0L Boost in the Evoque is a Ferd engine.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Thanks for clearing that up
JD05AG
AG
You missed your chance to call it the Canyonero

EMY92
AG
A neighbor down the hill from me has a maroon one. I've never seen more than 2 people in the beast as it drives by. It seems to be about the same size as the UPS truck.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.