Mystery object plugged into OBDII port

2,094 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A coworker bought a used Toyota about a year ago from the Toyota dealer. Car had about 46k miles on it, and by all accounts was a clean and solid car. He started having issues with the ABS, traction, and brake indicator lights intermittently coming on. Took it to the dealer, and they found this attached to his OBDII port. Anyone recognize this?

sts7049
AG
one of those Bluetooth obd scanner tools?
03_Aggie
Looks like it is/was tied to a GPS/ Fleet Tracking software.

http://www.logitrac.com/gps_hardware
sts7049
AG
nevermind, Google the part number. Looks like some kind of tracker to me.
p_bubel
Was it a fleet vehicle previously?

Xirgo Technologies (Advance Tracking Solutions)
Burdizzo
AG
Yep. I googled it, and found that after i posted the pic. My guess is this is a former rental car.
Burdizzo
AG
I am wondering if it is still in someone's database somewhere. I am thinking we should pass it around the office just to provide some fun data.
Burdizzo
AG
It also has a Sim card in it. Wonder what fun I could have with that.
Tagguy
AG
quote:
I am wondering if it is still in someone's database somewhere. I am thinking we should pass it around the office just to provide some fun data.

Anyone going to a track day? lol
Mookie
AG
I work for a company that does sub prime in house financing. We put the same device on our cars.
The Fife
In amazed that subprime buyers haven't figured out that box in the OBD port = taking device yet.
Mookie
AG
Some have. We get pinged when it gets removed, we send a tow truck.
aggieforester05
AG
Plug it into a big rid headed to central/south America.
Burdizzo
AG
Does it report the type of vehicle it is on? As in, does the lender know when it gets put in another vehicle and what the other vehicle is?
hatchback
AG
quote:
In amazed that subprime buyers haven't figured out that box in the OBD port = taking device yet.

The place that I worked in Dallas during high school hard wired them and stuffed them under the dash. One fell out, got stuck behind the brake pedal, and resulted in a totaled car because the driver couldn't stop.
Burdizzo
AG
We should have known something was up a few months back. This guy tried to get insurance from Progressive. They have a deal to lower your rates based on your driving habits, and they gave him something like this to attach to his car. I helped explain to him where to hook it up. He came back and said the port as just hanging loose which seemed odd. After a few days he said the unit from Progressive never worked.. Turns out the reason the OBDII port was loose we because there was also a splitter in it, and it was all crammed up under the dash. The port he had tried to hook up to was the loose end of the splitter.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I used to install those. Lol.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.