Quicker Sticker in College Station

42,666 Views | 171 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by maroon barchetta
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Your brake fluid is low and needs to be topped off before you pass inspection".

You picked on the wrong woman! I happen to know a little bit about what is under the hood of my vehicle and told you NO; my brake fluid is just fine. I asked him if it was below the "min" line and he said he could fail my inspection even if it was between min/max. WTF!

How many women a day do you scam?

EMY92
AG
The one I go to in Waco does zero repair type work. Therefore, they have no incentive to try to scam anyone.
dubi
AG
These folks always scam on the fluids and windshield wipers.
La Fours
AG
I don't know that I've ever seen an inspector open the hood of any vehicle that I've driven over the last 18 years.

I hope you told him to eff off.
dubi
AG
quote:
I know damn sure you told him to eff off.
FIFY
La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:
I know damn sure you told him to eff off.
FIFY

Toooshay.
OilAggie
AG
quote:
These folks always scam on the fluids and windshield wipers.

Yeah what's the rule on windshield wipers. Mine drug a bit and he tried to fail me. I said they work when it rains. Just not dry in his shop. He dropped the issue. But if there's a tiny tear on the end. Fail. Such bull****.
Code Monkey
Never saw the point of "safety" inspections, what a travesty.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
Its a PITA, but I know why...Its to reduce (not eliminate) the chance of you hitting someone with no brake lights, to prevent the guy with the bald tires from sliding into you because he couldn't stop, or the old lady from hitting the kid crossing the road because she couldn't see because her wipers were streaking or torn, .... It happens all the time, cars that shouldn't be on the road getting into wrecks, but I would hope that the goal of the inspection is, that maybe, just maybe, for a short amount of time, that those kinds of owners would get their cars within legal operating condition and not be a danger on the road....

Most of us here on this board, keep our cars in good shape and pass with no issues.

Its the people that 'forget' to change their oil, or properly maintain their car that the state needs to make come in for an annual inspection.
Duncan Idaho
Years ago the scam was your headlights weren't aimed properly.

It was $5 to aim them one time or $10 For life....
hatchback
AG
quote:
but I would hope that the goal of the inspection is, that maybe, just maybe, for a short amount of time, that those kinds of owners would get their cars within legal operating condition and not be a danger on the road....
Exactly why I wished there were annual inspections when I lived in Iowa. There were so many awful, terrible rust buckets on the road that weren't safe, but the owners felt no penalty for putting others at risk.
KY AG
AG
quote:
quote:
Its a PITA, but I know why...Its to reduce (not eliminate) the chance of you hitting someone with no brake lights, to prevent the guy with the bald tires from sliding into you because he couldn't stop, or the old lady from hitting the kid crossing the road because she couldn't see because her wipers were streaking or torn, .... It happens all the time, cars that shouldn't be on the road getting into wrecks, but I would hope that the goal of the inspection is, that maybe, just maybe, for a short amount of time, that those kinds of owners would get their cars within legal operating condition and not be a danger on the road....

Most of us here on this board, keep our cars in good shape and pass with no issues.

Its the people that 'forget' to change their oil, or properly maintain their car that the state needs to make come in for an annual inspection.

State inspections of this kind are nothing more than a worthless racquet. Some assclown lobbyist(s) keeps this in the books in Texas; I hated it when I lived there.
DBSwooper
quote:
quote:
Its a PITA, but I know why...Its to reduce (not eliminate) the chance of you hitting someone with no brake lights, to prevent the guy with the bald tires from sliding into you because he couldn't stop...
I was involved with an investigation where an 8-year old was killed due to low tread on the rear tires of a truck. After a couple of years the depositions were complete, a lot of money changed hands and it is one of the reasons why Discount Tire will now only install new tires on the rear of a vehicle (if replacing two at a time) as the tire manufactures request it.

Until you crack open the world of collision reconstruction, you never realize what "minor" things kill people daily in preventable collisions. Last time I looked we averaged 90 people a day in the US killed in collisions, and roughly 9 people a day in Texas.

The OP should have passed inspection, IMO.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
Years ago the scam was your headlights weren't aimed properly.

It was $5 to aim them one time or $10 For life....

Interesting.

The Mercedes dealer in Houston will align them for free, even if you dont get work done there.

I tried it 3 times over a period of 4 years and they never charged a dime.
The Fife
We have no inspections in SC and I haven't noticed any difference between the quality of what's on the road here vs. in TX.
BigRobSA
With no inspections in Iowa, you DO see cars that wouldn't make it through a TX inspection, but they're almost never the vehicles involved in accidents.
OilAggie
AG
Excuse my ignorance and not meaning to derail this thread. But how do you aim headlights. Mine seem to be in a fixed position. Is this only on newer vehicles.
dubi
AG
quote:
Excuse my ignorance and not meaning to derail this thread. But how do you aim headlights. Mine seem to be in a fixed position. Is this only on newer vehicles.
If you do repairs or replace the light assembly you have to re-aim the headlights.

Mr Dubi replaced the headlight assemblies in our 2003 civic and had to get them both aimed correctly.
Wildmen03
AG
Typically there is a bolt or two on the light housing, one for up/down and one for left/right. It varies a bit from vehicle to vehicle.
Goose
AG
The really cool cars apparently have adjustments for "front and back, and side to side" and are equipped with "switches" so that they can be adjusted while you're "rolling". At least that's what the kids are calling it these days. HTH.
dubi
AG
Mr Dubi's Speed3 has headlights that actually turn when you turn to light up where you are headed. That is pretty cool.
locogringo
AG
When I was in college that same place tricked me also. My window tint was too dark (dumb law anyway) so instead of telling me I fail, he acted like it was all gravy, checked me out and as soon as the my money hit his hand he said "here is a form saying you have paid and once you remove the tint, bring me this form and I will give you a sticker". I was pissed!! I understand that my truck didn't pass but that doesn't mean you get to pull some sheet like that.

Never used that place again. Not because they failed me but because they pulled that stunt.

I have learned now that if I let the wife take the trucks to get inspected they always pass. Something about a girl hoping down out of a dually in high heels makes the truck safer evidently. And she is similar to you dubi, in that she knows enough to know when they are trying something.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
On most domestic theres a reverse torx that is the adjustment screw.
Silvy
AG
Getting #RACETRUCK inspected

Tagguy
AG
If Silvy can pass inspections then anyone can. lol
dubi
AG
quote:
On most domestic theres a reverse torx that is the adjustment screw.
Domestic? What is that?
Tagguy
Silvy
AG
quote:
Domestic? What is that?

Power combined with a loss of traction. That's domestic.
Tagguy
AG
'Murica!!!!
dubi
AG
quote:
'Murica!!!!
Think about it. Domestics are made in Mexico and Canada. Imports are made in America.

The domestic labor unions have driven the plants out of the country. So who is actually supporting American workers?
Tagguy
AG
My last Chevy was built here in Texas. Le sigh. I miss my old GMT400

The Heep....well its a Heep. Doesn't matter. Heeep Braaaaaah
Tagguy
AG
But yes it is rather amusing that foreign makings are building in the US and US companies are having them build in other countries.
dubi
AG
quote:
But yes it is rather amusing that foreign makings are building in the US and US companies are having them build in other countries.
That was my point exactly......

Sad that "domestic" no longer means made in America.
Duncan Idaho
quote:

Like I said this was back in the day. I think they removed it as a test area because it was such a scam. Any car would fail the head light test.

Here is a picture of how you did it on cars back then
Silvy
AG
Companies are in business to make money.

It's cheaper for domestic companies to build vehicles within the borders of another country.

It's cheaper for Toyota to build in Texas rather than to import. They're not building here so they have the ability to put a sticker on a truck that says made by Texans.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.