Is invoice minus hold back ever NOT a good deal?

7,012 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
McKinney Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at a '14 pick up (new) and the Internet sales guy went straight to invoice minus hold back minus incentives. Understanding that there are plenty of other ways the dealer recoups profit (add-ons, trades, financing, warranties, etc) is there any way this isn't a great price? I came to them through a TrueCar pricing request and two different dealers went directly to invoice minus hold back.

TSW2012
AG
It's a good deal. May not be the best. What make/model?
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
It's a good deal. May not be the best. What make/model?
this
rhtexfish
AG
Is there a good place to find invoice pricing online? What is hold back? Looking at '14s and 15's right now too.
McKinney Ag
AG
'14 Ram 1500 Crew EcoDiesel.

[insert Ram jokes and xxx is much better here]

For the record, I am also considering the F-150 w/ Boost and have started working with the 1ags contact too. Just need to decide which one I want.

You can get invoice pricing by building the vehicle you want on Edmunds. Don't know that it's 100% accurate that way but I was able to spec out the exact truck matching the invoice the dealer provided to me.
lb3
AG
McKinney Ag
AG
I thought MSRP is suggested retail? That's about ten grand higher than the invoice price on this particular truck. Everything I've read says dealer cost is essentially invoice minus hold back... and then sometimes the dealer gets additional rebates from the manufacturer.
aTm2004
AG
If you're looking at a leftover '14 in March of '15, they're going to do what they can to get it off the lot.
MGS
It's not a demo is it?
McKinney Ag
AG
Could be? 350 miles on it. Thought demos usually have 1K miles or more on them. I've asked the salesman about it and waiting to hear back.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Also find out if any of the incentives require their financing and what their rate is. Lots of dealers drop their panties on the sales prices and put points in the loan or dealer add ons to make the sales price very attractive.
aTm2004
AG
Couldn't you always tale the lower price/incentives and then refinance a month or so later?
lb3
AG
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
Couldn't you always tale the lower price/incentives and then refinance a month or so later?
Yes, but you have to sign and agree sometimes. The dealer gets the money immediately.
Buck O Five
AG
quote:
'14 Ram 1500 Crew EcoDiesel.

[insert Ram jokes and xxx is much better here.

Do they teach you how to drive like a pick when you buy one, or do you just learn as you go?
Furlock Bones
AG
I don't think the brodozer crew is interested in the ecodiesel world. Can't roll coal.
GarlandAg2012
AG
quote:
Also find out if any of the incentives require their financing and what their rate is. Lots of dealers drop their panties on the sales prices and put points in the loan or dealer add ons to make the sales price very attractive.
Can you explain this a little more? I thought the concept of points on a loan was when you buy down the interest rate by paying more cash up front? Want to make sure I'm not about to get screwed by my dealer...although I'm planning to have my own financing lined up anyway.
03_Aggie
I wouldn't worry about it if you have your own financing lined up.

It's not uncommon to try and stick you with a higher interest rate when they go low on the sale price. They will get money if they can get you on a higher rate than the standard ford rate for your designation and amount financed.
91AggieLawyer
AG
quote:
The invoice is the suggested retail price. Dealers pay about 6% less than this. Then at the end of the year, the dealers get a rebate on each vehicle they sold which is on the order of another 6%. This rebate is called the hold back.
Although I'm not really into new fangled sayings, FAIL is the only way to describe this.

MSRP = suggested retail price. That's what the initials, SRP, stand for.

Invoice is the amount the dealer is "charged" for the vehicle from the factory. Its like the invoice you receive from your dentist or plumber.

Holdback = the amount the dealer gets from the manufacturer. It despens on the make (obviously) and varies from somewhere around 2-3%.

Rebates vary, but in general, they are amounts dealers get from the factory for selling certain lines (that aren't selling well, were overproduced, etc.). There are also consumer rebates but these are different.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.