Seriously looking for a new rolling toolbox

5,138 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by java94
java94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been wanting to upgrade my rolling toolbox for a while, but not looking to drop Snap-On or Matco coin. I have a mid-level 26" Craftsman now, but I want something bigger with ball bearing slides. Anyone here have a Husky box from Home Depot? I'm curious about the true load capacity of the drawers, and if they sag. I'm looking at this Husky box. A similar box at Sears is more than double the price. The similar stainless box (and matching top) at Lowes is more than double the price also. I know someone who has the 56" Kobalt, and the only complaint I've heard is the long drawer sags if you put too much weight in it, causing it to snag when you try to open or close it.

On other forums, I've actually seen people recommend Harbor Freight boxes over the Lowes/HomeDepot models. They have this one (and the matching top) that looks OK online, but I'd have to see it in person before I'd agree to buy it. Together, it's still more than the Husky.

I will say I thing the drawer configuration of the Harbor Freight box would suit me better, but I like the 'rolltop' style top on the Husky better, as I'm not real tall, so seeing into it may be easier.

So, any first-hand experience or solid advice out there?

Here are some pics:

Husky:

Kobalt:

Harbor Freight (just the top and bottom, not the sides):

Dill-Ag13
AG
The red harbor freight are hands-down the best bang for your $ around.
KRamp90
AG
Yep.

But you can get the Kobalt with speakers, to jam yo!
Duncan Idaho
Check Costco as well

But the harbor freight cabinet is one of their best deals
drumboy
AG
You can get a good deal on the craftsman ball bearing 26" if you watch slickdeals but it's still the smaller size. I have the 3 piece and spent less than $400.

I've listed over the kobalt for years but heard the HF is good quality.
KY AG
AG
My local Sears has scratch and dent models that are some really good deals from time to time. I would keep an eye out for one of those.
java94
AG
I stopped by HF tonight and checked it out. I do really like the drawer configuration and it seems very solid, more so the the Husky. One disappointment is the 20% coupons aren't eligible on tool boxes.
AggieBQ03
AG
I have the bottom half of the Kobalt in that picture. Has always worked great for me and hopefully I never have to buy anything else. Has always worked great, though mine isn't loaded full. Mostly kept my basic tools and a bunch of my RC Truck stuff in it.
Gigemags05
AG
I have the husky 40" tool box and I love it.

[URL=http://s79.photobucket.com/user/Jfisch10/media/984FB176-B32F-4486-B246-90F0139419B4_zpscpc5jhlq.jpg.html][/URL]

It was $300 at Home Depot. I've got it full of tools and the drawers work just fine.
Naveronski
AG
As a machinist by trade, I spent a lot of time in shops.

The Husky guys complained about never getting their money's worth.
Harbor Freight seemed to last longer, and ended up being quite worth the money. I have one of these.
Snap On is always a favourite, but expensive.
classicdoug
AG
Buy the Harbor Freight. Put Snap on emblems on it. Profit!
drumboy
AG
quote:
Buy the Harbor Freight. Put Snap on emblems on it. Profit!

I was at a friends house today and he had this HF cabinet with MatCo stickers. I complimented him on it just before the top slammed down almost clipping his head and scaring the shlt out of me. That's when he told me it was a HF.

http://m.harborfreight.com/26-in-4-drawer-580-lb-capacity-glossy-black-roller-cart-61634.html
java94
AG
Thanks for all the input... I pulled the trigger on the HF box today... Out with the old and in with the new...

lb3
AG
lb3
AG
Naveronski
AG
Box looks good, Java. Plenty of space to store... The tools to make shelves!
java94
AG
quote:
Box looks good, Java. Plenty of space to store... The tools to make shelves!
Yeah, seems like I clean up every 6 months or so, but it doesn't take long to get that way again...
drumboy
AG
quote:
Thanks for all the input... I pulled the trigger on the HF box today... Out with the old and in with the new...

You already need another big toolbox.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
You keeping the old one?
java94
AG
quote:
You keeping the old one?
I have a co-worker that says he may want it. If that falls through, it will be for sale.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.