Thoughts? Tirerack.com to NTB install

7,318 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by schmendeler
pnut02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I typically am a Discount Tire guy, but I found a pretty good deal on Tire Rack for new tires. Are there any charges I'm missing? Has anyone gone this route?

Tirerack charges
Tires: 84 x 4 = $336
Shipping to NTB: $66.82
sub-total (no tax): $402.82

NTB charges
Mounting/Balancing: 11.25 x 4 = $45
Rubber Valve Stems: 1.99 x 4 = $7.96
Disposal Fee: 2.00 x 4 = $8
Taxes: $5.03(?)
Am I missing something else?
Overall total is $463.78

DT charges the following
Tires: 117 x 4 = $468
Disposal Fee: 2.50 x 4 = $10
Valve Stems, Lifetime Rotations: free
Installation/Lifetime Balancing: 16 x 4 = $64
Taxes: $39.44
Total: $581.44
Mookie
AG
i always order from tire rack and install at austin infiniti. good process overall.

does the car have tpms?
pnut02
AG
No, does not (2005 Saab 9-3 Linear). I think I will pull the trigger. $120 is $120 in my pocket.

edit: are there any additional charges I'm missing?

[This message has been edited by pnut02 (edited 2/27/2012 2:27p).]
sts7049
AG
replacement certificates?
pnut02
AG
Not worried about replacement certs - don't plan on keeping the car too much longer.
TX_AG_10
AG
Are they the same tires? Doesn't Discount price match competitors? Or is that just local? I'd go to Discount and tell them you found them lower at TireRack.
pnut02
AG
Same tires. I've tried that in the past with DT but was a pain to haggle with them. Maybe it's changed, I'm not sure. I went ahead pulled the trigger on Tirerack. I figured I'd at least save some money on tax.

[This message has been edited by pnut02 (edited 2/27/2012 3:53p).]
Aggietaco
AG
I usually walk into Discount and say tire rack has the tires for this much. Guy says OK and adds on mounting, balancing, disposal and taxes and I go on my merry way. Plus, I choose to give Discount as much business as possible.

I'd get a written quote from NTP just to be on the safe side, or ask them to match as well.
robertcope
I do the TireRack/onlinetires->NTB/DT thing all the time. No big deal. It's amazing how quickly they can get tires to your door.

robert
Silvy
AG
DT always price matches Tire Rack for me
BrazosDog02
AG
Me too. I managed to get DT to not only match, but beat them by about 30 bucks a tire.
CrockerCock00
AG
Yeah, like others have said, DT will price match them. Also, a DT manager told me that Tirerack has their IP blocked, so they cannot pull up Tirerack's website from their store (not to say they can't via a phone, but their corporate proxy is blocked).
schmendeler
AG
i've more than once had discount tire match the tire rack price. it's kind of comical how easily they can change the price of their tires in the computer for that sale.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.