M1010 camper build

14,556 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cav_Jock_07
WheelinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This doesn't seem to be the norm here, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

I bought this a little over a year ago with grand plans. The pipe dream was for a 12V cummins, NV4500, NP205, clean everything up, and make the rear into a mini camper. Time, money, etc... has prevented this and I don't see it happening anytime soon.

A little back ground about this CUCV. It's basically a 1985 chevy one ton 4x4 with beefed up springs. It has a 6.2 diesel, TH400,and a NP208. For axles it has a Dana 60 front and a 14 bolt in the rear with a factory detroit both with 4.56's.

It has a truly ******* electric system. CUCV's had to have a 24volt starting system to meet Nato standards. Basically so jump starting would be compatible. On CUCV's only the starting system and glow plugs are 24V, the rest is normal. Most CUCV's have two 12 volt alternators. The M1010 being an ambulance is different than the other CUCV's. It came with two 100 amp 24 volt alternators. It has a magical blue box that is a combination battery idolater and voltage regulator. It is notorious for dying in a spectacular fashion, such as burning up in flames, unpredictably. My M1010 came with one of the 24 volt alternators removed and a 12 volt installed. I haven't investigated what is really going on, as my original intent was to rip everything out and replace the motor.

Also special to the M1010 is air conditioning, but not typical AC. The cab has no vents in it, rather the evaporator, vents, etc... is in one unit above the cab blowing directly into the box. I'm fairly sure this doesn't work at the moment, but haven't troubleshooted anything yet. I definitely want AC in the cab. Now whether thats through an underdash unit, or kludging a stock system in I'm not sure. I don't have enough experience with AC systems to know how to spice another evaporator into the system.

My current plan is to leave the drive train stock. It will be slow, but at least I'll be able to enjoy it. After a few years maybe I'll know if it's worth the time, money, and effort to do a more elaborate build.

I'm going to lift it enough to put 35's on it, as I have a nice set laying around. I'll also do crossover steering and a disc brake conversion on the rear.

Flame away!

The Wonderer
AG
You should probably kick out the black cat that stays in it before you do anything.

Looks like a good project that could be a lot of fun.
CanyonAg77
AG
Crazy project, looks like fun. But....
quote:
I'm going to lift it enough to put 35's on it

Lift + 35s + really high center of gravity + off-road = Really Bad Idea

At least in my book.
WheelinAg
AG
I agree with you, but the lift is going to be as minimal as possible. Also, fender trimming isn't beyond me!

CanyonAg77
AG
8 and a half feet tall and 7300 pounds.....a lift of any kind would be low on my list.

Have fun!
Cage_Stage
AG
Cool project.

I'd leave the 6.2. Those CUCVs rarely had more 30,000 miles on them from tooling around bases by the time they were retired. Depending on use since then, I bet the thing has less than 50,000 miles on it. Seems like a shame to rip out something with a lot of life left in it. And, the 6.2s are bulletproof, with reliability, longevity, and power to rival the NA 5.9s of the era. Put a Banks kit on it if you end up wanting more power.
p_bubel
Flame?

This. Is. Awesome.
CATAGBQ04
AG
Awesome

Yeah...throw that Cummins money at a Banks kit, will really wake up that rattler.

http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/156/11

[This message has been edited by CATAGBQ04 (edited 10/12/2010 1:24p).]
BigRobSA
I don't see any FAIL in the OP's ideas at all. Seems like it'll be a beast when it's all done.
WheelinAg
AG
Canyon, I'm not an idiot and it's not the first 4x4 I've built. I've rock crawled for a number of years now. Started with a a stock K5, went to 3/4 ton axles and 35's, then went to 1 tons and 38.5's, then to the junk yard! I've driven lifted vehicles and know the importance of low center of gravity. Moving on...

I know the benefits and pitfalls of the 6.2. I've looked into putting on a turbo, etc... The problem lies with the transmission as it's a 3 speed auto. I'd want to standard and the only way I'd go that route is with an NV4500. So a turbo plus an NV4500 starts to add up. Almost to the point of a 12 valve turbo cummins with an NV4500. Oh and who ever said these usually have low miles is correct. This one has ~30k.

So, anyone have thoughts on the AC system?
CATAGBQ04
AG

And you're right...a take out 12 valve and tranny would probably be cheaper.

Hell...see if you can buy and entire truck ala the recent dually project on TRUCKS.

[This message has been edited by CATAGBQ04 (edited 10/12/2010 3:20p).]
BigPuma
AG
quote:
You should probably kick out the black cat that stays in it before you do anything.

this
sts7049
AG
what the hell happened to the windshield?
Street Fighter
AG
Street Fighter approves of this post. Let us know if you need some help.
CATAGBQ04
AG
Ditto...have beer will travel
CanyonAg77
AG
To quote Steve Martin:

Well, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXXCCCCCCCCCCUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEE ME!
WheelinAg
AG
****, I guess I move a little slow sometimes on projects. Lots have changed since this post, but my love for square bodies and this vehicle hasn't. Enter an 8.1 and Allison!

Waiting on a fuel pump to hopefully get it to start.
sts7049
Dill-Ag13
AG
Pic no worky for me
Dill-Ag13
AG
If you don't update the picture link this will be the biggest troll in TexAgs history
Ag for Life
AG
This is obviously not a build by MF Barnes.
hatchback
AG
Sooo... what happened with the project from the original post?
WheelinAg
AG
hatchback said:

It got used as a tailgating vehicle for a number of years and just wasn't a priority. The cousin ****er truck in the above picture will be scrapped after I get what I want from it to transplant into the M1010. 8.1/allison/tcase rear axle, gauges, etc...
GeeBee
AG
And then?
TxAg20
AG
hatchback said:

Still at Brave Motorsports.
Furlock Bones
AG
TxAg20 said:

hatchback said:

along with a certain jk.
CATAGBQ04
AG
Furlock Bones said:

TxAg20 said:

hatchback said:

along with a certain jk.

Cav_Jock_07
Got any updates? Need to get that big block into the M1010!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.