Selling a used car - title / reg docs?

536 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Someone posted a link to the docs you need to fill out when you sell a used car privately.

Anyone have the links?

I assume you just
- sign over the title (there is no lien)
- send in a change of registration form

Do you have to do anything to report the sales price / their tax?

I am guessing I should just accept cash or a certified check.

bthotugigem05
AG
They're on the state DPS website I believe, they'll have to show a bill of sale to register the car, so the state can see how much they paid for it for taxes and all that.

[This message has been edited by bthotugigem05 (edited 11/25/2008 9:35a).]
Sazerac
AG
I know google is my fried.

ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/pio/casbrochures/buying_used_cars.pdf

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/forms/vehicle_titles.htm

Mookie
AG
130-U form on the tx dot website. just fill out the shaded areas and leave the rest for them. i would have them fill it out at the time of sale and copy it for you.

there is also a VTR-346 form that will alert the state that you no longer own that car/plates. it is not required but i highly recommend it. have the buyer fill it out and sign it when you do the transaction. i would take it back and turn it in myself to ensure that it is done.

don't forget the plates are now YOURS... they transfer with the owner. the buyer can go to this webpage https://vision21.txdot.gov/Vehicle/VehicleLookupForPermit.aspx and fill out a transfer permit that will get them to the tax office without plates. or if you want, you can check the "transfer plates" box on the VTR-346 if you want to just leave the plates on the car.

don't release the title to the buyer until the check clears. verify funds before you release the car, photocopy the title and give that copy to them at the time of sale; mail them the original when the check clears. or just take cash only and close the deal at once. daddy likey cash...

good luck!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
^^^

What everyone said.

Vehicle Transfer notification online now! w00t!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.