Killeen recommendations

1,937 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by lck90
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Visiting Ft Hood/Cavazos with a bunch of colleagues for some training. What are good food places around here? Many have never been to Texas before, so thinking good Tex Mex, BBQ, or just anything good.
c-jags
Man.. I've been to a lot of places in Killeen but I'm trying to think of places to take non locals.

There is a Chuy's for tex mex but I kinda want them to get bent because they took Palmera's out with their tax break. But it's still Tex-Mex

Local places:
Acropolis - Greek
Arepita's Venezuelan
heights- pizza
Meño's Mexican.

Take them into Belton for Miller's BBQ
washburn321
AG
Second Acropolis, Arepita's and Miller's in Belton for BBQ. The Rudy's in Killeen has always been solid as well. It's Rudy's, but if you don't want to drive down to Belton, it gives a good Texas BBQ vibe and you can depend on it. I work in Austin occasionally and we have visitors from all around the world that come in. Inevitably, they'll go to a Rudy's in Austin and rave about it.
c-jags
washburn321 said:

Second Acropolis, Arepita's and Miller's in Belton for BBQ. The Rudy's in Killeen has always been solid as well. It's Rudy's, but if you don't want to drive down to Belton, it gives a good Texas BBQ vibe and you can depend on it. I work in Austin occasionally and we have visitors from all around the world that come in. Inevitably, they'll go to a Rudy's in Austin and rave about it.

I have a friend from Oregon that married a girl from Katy. He was always so excited to go to Rudy's when he came in and it always made me laugh.

Better than Bill Millers or Dickeys but that's like thinking Whataburger is the best burger because you've had McD, BK or Jack in the Box your whole life.
ord89
AG
c-jags said:

washburn321 said:

I have a friend from Oregon that married a girl from Katy. He was always so excited to go to Rudy's when he came in and it always made me laugh.

Better than Bill Millers or Dickeys but that's like thinking Whataburger is the best burger because you've had McD, BK or Jack in the Box your whole life.
No one is saying it is the best BBQ around, but I like it. Reliable, sides are good, atmosphere perfect for me. My daughter and I love to eat there and just hang out and catch up.
Ord89
Aggie12B
AG
The Chuys in Harker Heights is probably the worst chuys. My wife and I have eaten there 3 times since it opened and we both got sick all three times. All three times, we each ordered something different on the menu.

For Tex-mex, I usually go to Corona Del Oros in Belton

The Rudy's in Killeen is Rudy's; it's consistent, not the greatest, but definitely NOT the worst
Miller's Smokehouse and Schoepfs BBQ in Belton are both pretty good
c-jags
Aggie12B said:

The Chuys in Harker Heights is probably the worst chuys. My wife and I have eaten there 3 times since it opened and we both got sick all three times. All three times, we each ordered something different on the menu.

This sound awful but I'm glad to hear that. T&P for your tummy though.

Again, I'm bitter over them putting Palmera's out of business. That place was fire.
pillow
AG
Grew up in Killeen.. Honestly, avoid Luby's at all costs.

Had to go there, sorry.
pillow
AG
Mikeskas in Temple is outstanding.
lck90
AG
Fire Street Pizza in Belton has pizza and craft beer.

Dead Fish Grill is on Belton Lake overlooking the lake with seafood, burgers, chicken fried steak. They shoot a cannon off every hour on the hour which is pretty cool. Definitely a surprise if you don't know it's coming.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.