Got lodging in Temple - good restaurant for dinner Sunday evening/night?

2,893 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by schwack schwack
schwack schwack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know there might not be much open, so any suggestions would be appreciated. We will be taking Mom out before her surgery the next day. She's not big on spicy, but likes most other things.

Thank you!
schwack schwack
AG
Nothing? Dang, that's what I was afraid of. Guess we'll hit a chain.
Rylei8791
AG
For what it's worth, I don't live in Temple but eat at these places-

Meggs Cafe
Pignettis
Trenos Pizza

All are fairly close BSW Hospital.
c-jags
Just saw this. Close to S&W is Meggs but they don't stay open late. A lot of the local places aren't open Sunday nights TBH. I'm always frustrated if we have a hankering for Meggs, Mexiko, or Roopa's on a Sunday night.

Treno's pizzaria downtown is only a couple of miles away and a fun place for any age, especially if you like beer. That would be a recommendation for people from out of town.

There's a Rosa's right there as well. Pizza Wings and Things is a bar but good. It's a chain but but not everywhere, BJs is almost always good and can meet everyone's taste and is on 35.

Nothing is really more than 10 minutes from S&W.
schwack schwack
AG
Thanks, y'all - we went to Treno's and it was great. Those are some good recommendations & will try to hit more of them this week.

Appreciate it!
c-jags
schwack schwack said:

Thanks, y'all - we went to Treno's and it was great. Those are some good recommendations & will try to hit more of them this week.

Appreciate it!

Glad you liked it. Definitely try Megg's if you're around for lunch or brunch a couple of mornings. I've never had anything there that I was "meh" about. All good.

If you're here for a few days and wanting to get out about, Miller's BBQ is great and has a fun breakfast menu as well. Jody's is some good greasy spoon.

Ethnic food, Roopa's and Bombay are great Indian. Mexiko is a Korean/Mexican blend. Nami is decent sushi

Our Mexican Food sucks. I'm sorry if that offends anybody on this board.

Hope your mom's surgery goes well.
aggiejet
AG
Agree with Wings Pizza Things & Miller's! Also burgers or chicken fried steak at Jody's is a must. Enjoy.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Hope your mom's surgery goes well.

Thanks for that - so far, so good. She's 90 - so it was a long day for all of us.

That Mexiko place is very interesting - what's good?

Appreciate the replies from everyone - TexAgs never ceases to amaze me.
GIF Reactor
AG
Another vote for Miller's in Belton. Just a heads up, they close at 3 p.m. weekdays if I'm not mistaken, and the lunch line can get pretty long. I'd recommend an early lunch around 11 a.m. or get it to go if you don't want to wait.

I'd also recommend the Oscar Store for chicken fried steak.
BohunkAg
AG
Is Cheeves Brothers Steakhouse still open downtown? That place has always been good.
aggiejet
AG
Yes, Oscar Store is good too & only about a 10 minute drive east of Temple.
aggiejet
AG
Yes, but changed owners a while back & not nearly as good IMO
FincAggie06
AG
No recommendations for Old Jody's? Best CFS in the state.
c-jags
FincAggie06 said:

No recommendations for Old Jody's? Best CFS in the state.

Quote:

Jody's is some good greasy spoon

aggiejet
AG
Look 8 posts up
templeton
BohunkAg said:

Is Cheeves Brothers Steakhouse still open downtown? That place has always been good.
yes--a very good value for lunch IMO.

i really like MeeMee's Thai as well (in Target shopping center next to Chipotle.

When my husband asks me where I want to eat, I say Megg's, Miller's, or MeeMee's. (We like Treno, Fire Street, and Bird Creek as well).
GIF Reactor
AG
Try any of the other recs?
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Try any of the other recs?

Unfortunately not. We were at the hospital so much + she got released 2 days early. Also, sister in law ended up bringing a bunch of food & we felt obligated to eat that in the evenings - she is a great cook, so it was OK. There were several that I would've loved to try. Post Op appt is Tuesday but only one can go with her & sister that is a Nurse is the one going. I'm going to give her the list in case they have time for lunch.

Again, thanks to everyone that replied!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.