Belton ISD Info

4,779 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by templeton
Wooster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Currently looking to move to the Belton/West Temple area. Can anyone provide insight on the elementary schools in the area? I know that we have looked at houses near the following schools- Sparta, Charter Oaks, Pirtle and Tarver.

Thanks in advance.
mazzag
AG
Welcome. Where are you from? What are your expectations?
Wooster
mazzag said:

Welcome. Where are you from? What are your expectations?
Moving from the Fredericksburg area. My wife has most of the questions dealing with- which schools show high academic expectations and achievement, what typical class sizes might be, parent involvement- (PTO etc), and which schools are known limited discipline problems. Our daughter will be entering the second grade.

We've looked at the TEA and other sites but thought maybe some on here might offer better personal experiences.

GIF Reactor
AG
Sparta is excellent. Not sure what the class size is, but I'd guess all BISD schools hover around the same numbers. PTA is great, but as is probably typical, a small group does the majority of the work.
templeton
Charter Oaks is brand new, and my friends there have been very impressed (particularly with the principal). They came from Sparta.

I think Sparta and Lakewood generally are considered a little preferable (read: affluent) than the others.
agsalaska
AG
My kids go to Lakewood. Lakewood, High Point, and Sparta are the three that are generally the most desirable. Tarver is good as well. Charter Oaks is brand new.

My wife and I own a Real Estate Company and get that question all of the time. We had the same questions when we moved here as well. My wife also used to be a teacher(mar be again before all this is over) and occasionally subs for her friends across Belton ISD. About half of our clents are soldiers PCSing to Fort Hood and generally speaking all they care about is schools.

Email me at k p g 4923 at gmail if you would like to discuss it further. We would love to help you out.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
The Grinder (99)
AG
Agree that Sparta and Lakewood are the two that stand out.

Belton now has two HS. So each of those schools will be the crown jewel elem to feed into each. Sparta for BHS and Lakewood for the new LBHS
mazzag
AG
I like Sparta elementary. It seems to not have a lot of turnover in teachers and staff. Last I heard about Lakewood is that the "bad" kids, severe adhd, opposition disorder, etc...were being sent there. It used to be Pirtle but now both. BISD sends these kids to a specific school no matter where one lives in the district.
agsalaska
AG
I do not think that is Lakewood.

My kids are both there and I am good friends with several teachers. My wife has subbed there. I have never heard that. The kids at Lakewood are for the most part fantastic as is the staff.

My 2nd grade son had an accident in January on the playground that nobody saw. The teacher knew something was wrong and sent him to the nurse. She immediately recognized a head injury and called the Prinicipal. I happened to be on campus with my daughter and by the time I got to the nurses station they were watching the video. Sure enough he was racing another boy and bounced his head off the concrete. But he had no obvious head injury and was only worried about his bloody knee. We were at the hospital in 10 minutes.

He had a moderate concussion and the teacher, principal, and nurse were fantastic easing him back into learning. It took about a month for all of the symptoms to go away.

I cannot say enough about the staff and students at Lakewood.

I also coach two different teams of elementary school kids in Belton. The kids from Pirtle, Lakewood, and Hi Point are all great. Not to say the others are not. Thats just where my kids come from.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
mazzag
AG
It's just what I was told, last year, by a concerned parent because these kids are supposed to have an aide with them at all times and they didn't. The district is full of great kids and families and teachers. I also think we're better off with a new superintendent.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
mazzag said:

It's just what I was told, last year, by a concerned parent because these kids are supposed to have an aide with them at all times and they didn't. The district is full of great kids and families and teachers. I also think we're better off with a new superintendent.
We have your old superintendent in Waco, and I wish y'all would take her back.
mazzag
AG
Not gonna happen. She burned some bridges on her way out.
GIF Reactor
AG
Really? I hadn't heard or don't recall hearing / reading that. What happened?
mazzag
AG
Several folks felt stabbed in the back. Thoughts are she left for a more challenging ISD to increase chances of being awarded region 12 super of the year. Plus $75k more a year doesn't hurt.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
She owns a rental property with the Waco ISD board president. The board president is also lead counsel for Belton ISD.
mazzag
AG
That's been established. It's all swampy. For the BISD side it was a punch in the gut. Not that I'm taking up for her. Good riddance. She's done more damage in her tenure than she's done good in the last decade. I can't count the failure she's done to our students.

Edit to add; I can't count the folks glad she's gone.
c-jags
Maroonedinaustin said:

She owns a rental property with the Waco ISD board president. The board president is also lead counsel for Belton ISD.

And the legal council for Belton ISD is the daughter of the superintendent before SK.
mazzag
AG
Her brother is George Eads?
c-jags
Could be.
Sounds suspect.
I'm not sure.
Crusaders41
Yes
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. Kind of what it feels like.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Temple has the better football team though....
agsalaska
AG
Didnt they lose in the Championship to a lacrosse team from Dallas?

Kid named Jones?
GIF Reactor
AG
c-jags said:

Maroonedinaustin said:

And the legal council for Belton ISD is the daughter of the superintendent before SK.
All this feels a bit too conflicty of interest to me...

COSCAG67
AG
So what's the general thought on high point elementary?
agsalaska
AG
COSCAG67 said:

So what's the general thought on high point elementary?
Great school. I coach a lot of kids that go there and am friends with several parents and teachers. I would send my kids there any day of the week.

My kids go to the next school over. But I would buy a house in High Point in a heartbeat.

I own a Real Estate Company and am guessing you are looking in either Morgan's Point or Lake Point?
COSCAG67
AG
Yessir, sent you a PM. Looking at lakewood, sparta and high point.
COSCAG67
AG
Any red flags about Tarver?
mazzag
AG
This is the mascot costume?

Edit to add For the new high school.
c-jags
But them abs.
mazzag
AG
It's disturbing. Needs a jersey.
templeton
they look like gills not abs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.