Bell county tax appraisals

5,535 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by c-jags
mazzag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's insane. Where in belton? How much land?
c-jags
I thought they couldn't go more than 10% in a given year.

Mazzag, I'm not sure. The appraiser friend lives here in Northside and just mentioned that his folks are in Belton.

We're actually interviewing contractors for a remodel and one of them is actually a property lawyer and fought his parents' increase today over zoom and won.
The Grinder (99)
AG
Up $27,500 this year. Is this our new norm? Is it sustainable?
mazzag
AG
They can't do more than 10% per year on the appraisal value of your homestead, which taxes are based on but they can set the market value to whatever they want.

So in 2018, my app value and market value was $400k. In 2019 they raised the market value to $500k but could only tax me for $440k.

I have 6 acres but it's all one lot or else they could have really screwed me because the 10% is based on your homestead and most folks with land have their house on one acre as their homestead and the rest of the land is whatever. And they can tax you on the whatever all day long for as much as they want.

With all the outdoor improvements we're about to do, I'd imagine I'll have to sell in 2019.
mazzag
AG
What's his name? If you still have my email, send it there. I'd pay to have someone fight mine or at least help me.
c-jags
Alex Bass. Seemed like a good dude and I'm sure he wouldn't mind business coming his way. Just go through his law office and explain and I'm sure that would get you going.

I think he does more contracting than lawyering currently but you should be able to google that up and see.

I don't know if he does that regularly or just did it for his parents.

I think you may be able to also get an appraiser to help as well.

I'm not sure what the process is. I've been flying under the radar by about 50-70k for a few years so I really can't fight mine.
c-jags
Our small group from church got together for the first time in a few months and it sounded like a number of them did or knew somebody who protested and succeeded. Seemed like a pretty straight forward process.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.