Waco and HWY 6 Suggestions

2,578 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by petey88
LoudestAndProudest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy,

I started dating a girl from Waco a month ago. Seems like I'm going to do a lot of driving up and down Highway 6 between Waco and College Station in the near future. I've got questions for y'all Central Texans:

-What are some good restaurants in Waco? I've only been to Cricket's, George's and Baris.
-What are some good restaurants/hidden gems between Waco and College Station?

Thanks in advance!
T's and G's
BCSWguru
Obligatory Poppa Rollos suggestion....

Others:
Rosatis
George's

Sorry that's all I got
LoudestAndProudest
Thank you! I've been to George's but I've never heard of the others.
T's and G's
petey88

I grew up in Waco, and left as soon as I could. It's been a long time since I've driven that route, but I was in Riesel a couple of summers ago delivering some meat to a buddy at the church. Been trying to recall info, but I haven't been to Waco in four and one half years, and probably never will be again.

I heard Kitok's had good burgers, I know Health Camp does. My brother still lives there, if I speak with him, I'll ask.

Someone will perhaps add more replies, Posters live in the area.
BohunkAg
AG
We prefer Diamondback's for a nice meal.

Waco actually has a lot of options now.

Bubba's 33 is a great place to grab a beer and watch a game. So is Walk On's....that has been a really good addition. The PF Chang's that just went in is always good. Cajun Craft at 11th and Clay is local and good for a quick meal. Shorty's Pizza Shack near Baylor is a cool little beer and pizza joint. Slow Rise Slice House out in Hewitt is a pretty new, neat little joint.

That's all I got for now.
BohunkAg
AG
There's a place outside of Hearne called Blue Moon BBQ that was on the last Texas Monthly Top 50 that I've been meaning to hit but have not yet. I've driven that route from College Station to Waco (West) for the last 25 or more years. There really isn't sh*t between here and there as far as restaurants or cool places to hit up.
hds
AG
I will throw a few out there . . .
Alpha Omega
Jake's Tea House
Guess Family BBQ
Butter My Biscuit
Mi Casita (on Hewitt Drive)

Dessert: Heritage Creamery or Baked Bliss Bakery
Bulldog73
AG
The south side of 340 loop at 35 has developed a few pretty decent chains. Guess Family BBQ is pretty good and Honky Tonk Kid BBQ has a new brick and mortar with unique spins on BBQ. We like D's Mediterranean food. Moroso is an Italian and wood fired pizza place too. If you're adventurous, Rufi's Cosina is pretty good but in a rougher part of town. Not Tex-Mex at all though.
LoudestAndProudest
Thanks y'all, I appreciate it!
T's and G's
LoudestAndProudest
I've never seen a place so far away from the city they're supposedly in, half an hour from downtown Hearne

http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/2013/01/blue-moon-bbq.html
T's and G's
HollywoodBQ
AG
Johnny Rebs in Hearne is pretty good. Other than that, the DQ in Calvert is about it between Waco and CStat.
EMY92
AG
Whup's Boomerang in Marlin has been on the TM top 50 list.

Oh, watch your speed on HWY 6. Hearne, Calvert, & Riesel all patrol heavily. Marlin depends on what is happening in the city and if they have any cops. The DPS also seems to patrol 6 often.
BohunkAg
AG
Guess will soon have it's own brick and mortar. To highlight those two, Honky Tonk and Guess....this board has been on them since they opened. I've gotten to know Davie (the owner of Honky Tonk Kid) a little since I've been going there. I'm so happy for him that he's opened his store. I wish nothing but continued success for both of those places. I really enjoy all the different foods and quality of HTK, and Guess of course has received accolades from TM BBQ and is great at what they do.
petey88

If you're ever down in Belton, go to Miller's. Downtown across the street corner from Bell County Court House. They've been on the last two Texas Monthly Top 50 lists. First time, they had a small shop up the street.

I ate there several times a week before I moved. The Daytripper PBS Show had them on their weekly show once.

Mrs. Miller makes cakes and pastries. Their pit set up out back is huge, service is outstanding and fast. The new place has plenty of space, and a second room for live music. It was an old gas station in the very old days.

Five plus stars
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.