Best BBQ In Lockhart

4,561 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Premium
12th Man Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have been to Kreuz's, Black's, and Smitty's, but none recently enough to rank order them. What say you? Or, is there another place I don't know about?
templeton
i've only been to black's and smitty's but liked black's much more. in general i think luling city market or mueller's in taylor is superior to lockhart (sacrilege i know).
12th Man Ag
AG
I agree that Louie Mueller is better than all three in Lockhart (IMO), but we will be at the Hyatt Lost Pines the weekend before Christmas and we're going to head to Lockhart one night for some BBQ!
templeton
definitely a good meal to be had at blacks.
Matsui
AG
Blacks
BurrOak
AG
My dad moved there a few years ago, and we usually go to at least 1 of the 3 on every trip down there. There's been some days we have tried all 3 just to compare and have plenty of leftovers to take home. Here's my takeaway.

Smitty's has the best sausage and it isn't even close. Great brisket and ribs can be had at all 3. Some days one place is better than others. But it seems that Black's and Smitty's are both a little more consistent than Kruez. The beef ribs at Blacks are awesome, and they are my favorite thing to order out of any of the 3 places. The only downside is that it's about $20 just for one rib. But its as big as your forearm.

Never been to Luling, but have been to Mueller's. Must have caught Mueller's on a bad day because it wasn't anything impressive at all.
Captain Pablo
AG
$20 for one rib?

Eff that
jpb1999
AG
Captain Pablo said:

$20 for one rib?

Eff that

About the same in Taylor as well... but they are AWESOME!

Spane Bohem

The Anchor
AG
Captain Pablo said:

$20 for one rib?

Eff that
There is at least a pound of meat on it. It truly is the size of your forearm. It is well worth it. Best beef rib I have ever had.
bayouag91
AG
Grew up on Lockhart BBQ. This question is the source of many family debates. My rankings:
Blacks - hands down the most unbelievable brisket ever
Luling City Market - great ribs and sausage
Kreuz - because of the sausage
Schmittys - My uncle's fave
Chisholm Trail - last among these 5 is still pretty darn good...excellent chicken btw
Flash02
If you're going at night better check and see who's open. I know Kreuz is. They're all good but can't touch LouieMuellerBBQ
petey88

hey guys, hope all the gang is doing well,

I've never even been to Lockhart until the road trip for family XMas to & from Austin. On the way back, I chose Black's. Big new pick ups filled the parking lot. I could tell the crowd inside was folks with bucks and good taste. The line inside was to the door at 11:45 am, quick service, I got a pound of sliced to go because the crappy rainy weather and had to drive home to Rockport.

Stopped in Goliad to take a break looking around Presidio La Bahia, ate one sandwich in the truck,...it hit the spot...great brisket, right there with Miller's in Belton, maybe better.

I took the rest for beach picnic.

BTW, no regrets leaving Belton. I had retired early, and was moving on. Rufus the 95# Boxer and I arrived here in February. Rufus up & died on me last May 17th at the age of 11 years 3 months...

At any rate, I got real bummed out losing him, and didn't go out all summer, even had quit drinking beer for 8 months. Last Thanksgiving weekend, I told myself I couldn't live that, "climbed up the mountain to see what I could see". It's been great since down here, a little cold lately (highs of 45 or so), but otherwise in the 60's to 70's. I've been wearing shorts, my rope sandals, and going to the beach all most every day.

It's clearing as I type this, so I need to go. Supposed to be 65 today. Found a Boxer rescue over in Flour Bluff, may run over there today ~ or not ~.

Best wishes

Captain Pablo
AG
petey88 said:

hey guys, hope all the gang is doing well,

I've never even been to Lockhart until the road trip for family XMas to & from Austin. On the way back, I chose Black's. Big new pick ups filled the parking lot. I could tell the crowd inside was folks with bucks and good taste. The line inside was to the door at 11:45 am, quick service, I got a pound of sliced to go because the crappy rainy weather and had to drive home to Rockport.

Stopped in Goliad to take a break looking around Presidio La Bahia, ate one sandwich in the truck,...it hit the spot...great brisket, right there with Miller's in Belton, maybe better.

I took the rest for beach picnic.

BTW, no regrets leaving Belton. I had retired early, and was moving on. Rufus the 95# Boxer and I arrived here in February. Rufus up & died on me last May 17th at the age of 11 years 3 months...

At any rate, I got real bummed out losing him, and didn't go out all summer, even had quit drinking beer for 8 months. Last Thanksgiving weekend, I told myself I couldn't live that, "climbed up the mountain to see what I could see". It's been great since down here, a little cold lately (highs of 45 or so), but otherwise in the 60's to 70's. I've been wearing shorts, my rope sandals, and going to the beach all most every day.

It's clearing as I type this, so I need to go. Supposed to be 65 today. Found a Boxer rescue over in Flour Bluff, may run over there today ~ or not ~.

Best wishes

Well, good luck in Rockport

Sorry to hear about rufus. Y'all were tight. I can see why Yeti Polk without rufus would just cause sorrow.

Unfortunately, dogs die before we do usually, Boxers what, 10 years or so?

Hope you find a good one!
petey88

Boxers are 8 to 11 years. He was 11 yrs, 3 mos. when he passed peacefully. Went quick, got up off the couch, laid on the floor and died.

Doc Edwards of Bell County Animal Hospital was his Aggie Vet. Doc once said Rufus was srong as an horse, and would live for 14 years. Not sure what took him, that morning he acted lazy, no color in his gums. I was trying to find a Vet online when he passed.

Right away, I drove him 18 miles and buried him at the Port Aransas beach.
EMY92
AG
12th Man Ag said:

I agree that Louie Mueller is better than all three in Lockhart (IMO), but we will be at the Hyatt Lost Pines the weekend before Christmas and we're going to head to Lockhart one night for some BBQ!
I've only been to Mueller's once and that is the only time I'll go. Everyone that went left disappointed.

I've had Black's once as well and would be happy to eat there again.
BohunkAg
AG
Stop in and say hello to Father Ed at St. Mary's in Lockhart if you get a chance. He was our pastor in West for about 25 years. He was here when I graduated high school, he married us, and baptized one of our children. Great man.
Leander - Ag
AG
Go to Austin
RedgeTX
AG
Luling City Market is the best and a short drive from Lockhart. Kreuz is great but no sauce, not a fan of Black's, never been to Schmitty's on principle....
Krazykat
AG
Blacks was good, but not great BBQ. Overrated.
Captain Pablo
AG
Most BBQ is overrated

Vastly
BohunkAg
AG
RedgeTX said:

Luling City Market is the best and a short drive from Lockhart. Kreuz is great but no sauce, not a fan of Black's, never been to Schmitty's on principle....
What principle is that?
Captain Pablo
AG
BohunkAg said:

RedgeTX said:

What principle is that?

Yes, I'm curious as well
RedgeTX
AG
It's a little tongue in cheek, but I grew up going to the original Kreuz location which is now Smitty's after the break up. There are a few articles out there about the split up of the Kreuz family and bbq business years ago. After it all came down, we picked a side....
Premium
AG
Just went to Smitty's and Black's on Friday around 5. Both were below par. Corkscrew and HEB blows these away -

Smitty's - regular sausage was actually amazing and I may go back just for this if I was ever back. Brisket was the worst I've ever had when searching out for great BBQ. Still interesting and glad I went - 2.5 of 5 stars...

Black's - got a Dino Rib, brisket and some sides. Sides were not great but the peach cobbler was good enough we went back for a 2nd serving. Dino Rib was so fatty there was hardly any meat on it. The meat remaining was very good so I'd still try this if I were ever back - maybe I got a bad one. Brisket was better than Smitty's but still worse than HEB or Corkscrew by a mile...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.