Divorce settlement question - w/ kids 18+

2,784 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by piag94
TxAger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nm
GIF Reactor
AG
Damn, 20+ years and splitting up?

I don't have any experience with this, but I would think one parent would be given overall responsibility of the dependent children and the other would have to pay some type of child support. That would make for an easier paper trail should the need arise.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I get the question. I had an Aggie Band buddy whose parents split up our Junior/Senior year. By our Zip year, the drama he went through was that each parent wanted to buy him a car but neither parent wanted to pay for college. The split-up was initiated by the mom because she thought the dad was a loser. The mom went off the rails when the dad found a new woman who was younger, nicer, much prettier and remarried within a year. By our 5th year, the guy started smoking weed pretty often. 3 years after that he was a major pothead. He's reformed and teaches Elementary School now. Those couple of years were nuts though.

As a parent of college aged kids now, I see how easy it is to get a car loan. Getting school loans takes more work so I see why one parent would be like - hey, I spent $20K on a car, you should spend $20K on college. Or, insert your own numbers here.
mazzag
AG
I am not an attorney but you kinda answered your own question when you said you have 2 adult kids?
mazzag
AG
And you're being far too generous, IMO. Who's names are the cars in? That's who needs to pay for the insurance.
mazzag
AG
She might get some amount of alimony but to assume it's going to young adult kids' expenses is crazy. And I'm a 45 year old woman.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
State to state this varies a ton. What state are you in. If Texas then you deal with community property laws more than alimony laws
Rabid Cougar
AG
Unfortunately it is actually easier for your kids to qualify for college loans or grants if you split up.
piag94
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Unfortunately it is actually easier for your kids to qualify for college loans or grants if you split up.

Agreed. Who doesn't know that????
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.