Belton ISD people

2,661 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mazzag
Cowboy1990
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have any idea why the New Tech graduation is at 2pm on a Thursday aftetnoon? Seems disrespectful to the families of the graduates to me. Just curious if there's a legitimate reason for it.
rather be fishing
AG
Assuming it's at the Expo, the same facility is used by several other high schools in the county.
Cowboy1990
Yes, but the enrollment at New Tech I would think would allow them to have it somewhere else and have it in the evening where family could attend.
mazzag
AG
When the Wall Street auditorium addition is complete, they can have it there. Otherwise, where would it be held?
mazzag
AG
See, there's this pact or something between BISD and the expo center. That's why the expo center event coordinator helped head the "vote yes" campaign to the bond. And yes, I might wear a tin foil hat but it's a small enough town to connect dots and make common sense.
Cowboy1990
Not sure how many graduates they have, but you've got the Expo Center, UMHB sports arena, UMHB Chapel, Mayborn Center at the CAC in Temple, Temple College auditorium, and Killeen Expo centerwould all be viable indoor options. Of course, you could always go old school and have it on the BHS Footvall field. I'm am guessing the BHS theater isn't large enough even for New Tech.
mazzag
AG
I thought someone posted a while back that BISD wouldn't/couldn't use UMHB facilities anymore because it's a private Christian University? I honestly have no idea, but yeah, a weekday graduation at 2pm is unfortunate for folks that have to take off work needlessly.
Cowboy1990
Hadn't heard that but I guess you could be right.
Captain Pablo
AG
mazzag said:

I thought someone posted a while back that BISD wouldn't/couldn't use UMHB facilities anymore because it's a private Christian University? I honestly have no idea, but yeah, a weekday graduation at 2pm is unfortunate for folks that have to take off work needlessly.

Why would that keep BISD from using UMHB?

Many other public schools use UMHB ... Troy, Academy, Rogers, Salado

Its possible that at 125 graduates, they felt UMHB is too small for New Tech .. I think capacity is about 2000 for graduation events

Also, there are EIGHT schools using the Expo for graduation.. Temple, Belton, New Tech, killeen, Ellison, Shoemaker, Harker Heights, and Cove all use it for graduation. Sometimes even Gatesville uses it, although they haven't in awhile... Unfortunately, some have to go during the week before 5pm in order to fit them all in
Captain Pablo
AG
Crusaders41 said:

Not sure how many graduates they have, but you've got the Expo Center, UMHB sports arena, UMHB Chapel, Mayborn Center at the CAC in Temple, Temple College auditorium, and Killeen Expo centerwould all be viable indoor options. Of course, you could always go old school and have it on the BHS Footvall field. I'm am guessing the BHS theater isn't large enough even for New Tech.

CAC holds 450, temple college about 500

BHS auditorium about 800

Football stadium has weather concerns

Mayborn Center isn't really suitable, nor is Killeen. They're basically ballroom/conference room style places

If UMHB Is big enough, it would seem like the logical choice. And if Belton won't use it because it's a Christian school, that's just kinda stupid
c-jags
Captain Pablo said:

If UMHB Is big enough, it would seem like the logical choice. And if Belton won't use it because it's a Christian school, that's just kinda stupid

well.....
Captain Pablo
AG
c-jags said:

Captain Pablo said:

well.....

What I'm saying is I am very skeptical of the notion that BISD won't use UMHB because UMHB is private and/or Christian

I think the likely scenario is they wanted a larger venue, or UMHB simply isn't available, or probably the most likely reason is that It's more convenient and practical for BISD to deal and contract with a single entity
mazzag
AG
Here's what I got. UMHB has significantly reduced outside use of facilities.
BISD gets the expo all day Thursday. Has and will for a long time. A 2pm graduation allows for time to set up for BHS graduation. And allows families/friends to attend both if desired. Non competing times, which would happen if venues were split.
They tried NT graduation at FBC, not quite big enough. And the wall st auditorium addition could host it with limited tickets per student. The NT graduation at the expo does not limit the numbers that can attend.
mazzag
AG
Add in new high schools for BISD and KISD. The expo is inefficient in size. So hey, I know, let's build another events center!
mazzag
AG
Crusaders41 said:

Anyone have any idea why the New Tech graduation is at 2pm on a Thursday aftetnoon? Seems disrespectful to the families of the graduates to me. Just curious if there's a legitimate reason for it.

Just to add, while it now makes sense it is the way it is, would you rather have parents of 125 kids angry or parents of 600+ angry? New Tech is a niche school and BHS is definitely not. Yes new tech has some blue collar kids in it, but they're probably the minority.
Captain Pablo
AG
mazzag said:

Here's what I got. UMHB has significantly reduced outside use of facilities.
BISD gets the expo all day Thursday. Has and will for a long time. A 2pm graduation allows for time to set up for BHS graduation. And allows families/friends to attend both if desired. Non competing times, which would happen if venues were split.
They tried NT graduation at FBC, not quite big enough. And the wall st auditorium addition could host it with limited tickets per student. The NT graduation at the expo does not limit the numbers that can attend.

That makes sense
Captain Pablo
AG
mazzag said:

Add in new high schools for BISD and KISD. The expo is inefficient in size. So hey, I know, let's build another events center!

I was hoping some of that $20 million would be used for renovation and expansion of the arena, since Bell
County residents actually use it

Instead it was spent on the equestrian center which will be used by tourists, not locals

Then again, I guess it's being paid for by tourists
mazzag
AG
Captain Pablo said:

mazzag said:

I was hoping some of that $20 million would be used for renovation and expansion of the arena, since Bell

Instead it was spent on the equestrian center which will be used by tourists, not locals

Absolutely. Sheffield supported an increase in hotel tax when he was in office.
Captain Pablo
AG
mazzag said:

Captain Pablo said:

mazzag said:

Absolutely. Sheffield supported an increase in hotel tax when he was in office.

Hell every county official in Bell County supported the hotel tax...

Took a little while to get the West county rep on board but eventually they did
mazzag
AG
Probably because the west side hotels are filled with military family visitors. I was against it for that reason. Why put the burden on the families of the ones responsible for our overall economic success?
Captain Pablo
AG
mazzag said:

Probably because the west side hotels are filled with military family visitors. I was against it for that reason. Why put the burden on the families of the ones responsible for our overall economic success?

That's exactly why the West County officials initially opposed it

I was against it too

But I probably would have favored a much less costly slight expansion and renovation of the arena

But that doesn't bring in tourist dollars

We'll see if the eq center delivers as promised
mazzag
AG
I'm always amazed at how conservatives vote vs a rino and even a democrat.
Early voting for run-offs end soon. Election Day is the 22nd.
Rino shine has kept his retirement.
If you have a voice against Cosper, please use it. Otherwise, there's some runoff's for judges. Just vote!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.