572K in overtime on the first Twin Peaks trial

3,145 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mazzag
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

What a joke. These trials are going to break the county.
Flash02
Amazing what they spent for a sheriff car in front of judge and da houses 24/7. They live near me so I know they were there. Every day. Also drove by the courthouse daily to work. There was never any civilians there either. Just sheriff officials standing around.
BohunkAg
AG
Well also a lot of extra security around the courthouse.
c-jags
Better McLennon county than Bell?
Bulldog73
AG
It's about the same as they've given the Gaineses in thank you money.
c-jags
The difference is that the Gaines are actually a net positive for Waco financially.
mazzag
AG
c-jags said:

The difference is that the Gaines are actually a net positive for Waco financially.

I've never watched one of their shows so I'm not caught up in their hype but I'm disgusted by Facebook Aggie friends that post their so excited about going to the silos. My attorney is out of Waco and a bu alumni and it's pained me the money I've spent with him, although well worth it, because otherwise I haven't given that sheethole city a dime since 2012. Sad to say I'm probably moving my tax business to another waconian. But that's it! No retail, food, bars, events. I just support those that are supporters of that crap. Which is worse I suppose...first world problems
c-jags
Quote:

first world problems

I'll give you credit for at least recognizing that. I ain't got time to be that upset with a metropolitan area. I dont overly love Waco but there are worse places in earth.
mazzag
AG
And the worst place is 45 minutes south on I35. Except it's so convoluted where I spend my money, Williamson vs Travis county and no bs death trap I35 construction.
Waco used to be easy. Now it's a pita.
HollywoodBQ
AG
c-jags said:

Not just financially.

After 20+ years of hearing about nothing but the Cult Compound as soon as I say I'm traveling to Waco to visit my parents, during the past two years, 9/10 times I mention Waco, the first thing people mention is Magnolia/Chip & Joanna, etc.

They have really changed the image of the city on a National and International level. I flew from Dallas to Sydney earlier this week and was chatting to a Qantas flight attendant. As soon as I mentioned that I had been in Waco, she started telling me about how she and some other flight attendants went down to Waco for a few days and toured the silos and ate at some restaurants in downtown Waco. I was amazed that anybody would intentionally go to Waco. Especially foreigners.

I'm an out of the closet Waco H8er but, after 20+ years of being known for David Koresh and the 40 years prior to that being known for a tornado, Chip & Joanna deserve the keys to the city for the work they have done to change the image of Waco.

Also, as a Midway alum, it cracks me up when friends ask me what Woodway is like - since Chip and Joanna make it look incredible.
mazzag
AG
I saw on Facebook kwtx that they're hoping the old elite cafe opens soon. 42+ comments about the name change, the traffic, the outsiders coming into town, the circle and lines out the wazoo at the silos. Locals seem to complain a lot about the positive affect the couple and they're "Magnolia" brand is having on the city. Of course it's the same people that want CAB back.
It's interesting the restaurant will only serve breakfast, brunch and lunch. They need a Bloody Mary bar as well. If it's 1/2 as good as whiskey cake, I might try it in a few years.
Rabid Cougar
AG
The Silos are the most visited tourist destination in Texas, 1.6 Million came to visit Silos in Waco in 2017. Sorry Alamo...... Also employs 600 people.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Quote:

Locals seem to complain a lot about the positive affect the couple and they're "Magnolia" brand is having on the city. Of course it's the same people that want CAB back.
Same old folks who didn't want the railroad and are thankful that Waco didn't become Fort Worth.

I don't get it but... it's not quite as bad as Austin where they actively refuse to build in hopes that nobody else will come to town - especially outsiders who will ruin everything.

It would crack me up if some overfunded company like Google, Facebook or Amazon brought 50,000 jobs in and dropped them on Waco. Most cities would bend over backwards. Waco would probably turn it down.
c-jags
It's interesting you say that. I feel like San Angelo, Tyler, and Abilene are in similar boats.

They could annex the country around them for miles and miles and nobody would say a thing but they want to contain their growth.
96ags
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

The Silos are the most visited tourist destination in Texas, 1.6 Million came to visit Silos in Waco in 2017. Sorry Alamo...... Also employs 600 people.
Not sure I believe that. Do have a link where you get that info?
EMY92
AG
The number frequently tossed out is 35,000 out of towners per week.

I never thought parking in downtown Waco would become scarce.
mazzag
AG
A friend recently moved to Waco. Went to the silos this morning, not long after it opened. With the crummy weather she said there were no lines. And parking was easy. The only problem she had was with the church close by charging $10 per car to park. She's a huge dem and views churches as profit makers. I assured her the money collected for parking was likely going to good causes, but it does make me wonder how much cash is taken in annually. Probably a discussion for the politics board.
c-jags
mazzag said:

A friend recently moved to Waco. Went to the silos this morning, not long after it opened. With the crummy weather she said there were no lines. And parking was easy. The only problem she had was with the church close by charging $10 per car to park. She's a huge dem and views churches as profit makers. I assured her the money collected for parking was likely going to good causes, but it does make me wonder how much cash is taken in annually. Probably a discussion for the politics board.

I've heard they make 7 figures a year on parking. My capitalist nature and anger at church extravagance conflict greatly.
mazzag
mazzag
AG
These should not conflict. Churches are charitable organizations not capitalist. She said the silo parking is free. Just think if they charged for parking...that's capitalism.
c-jags
The church does charge for parking from my understanding
Bulldog73
AG
I believe it's First Baptist Waco that runs a lot or two. I know several of the workers are people in the youth group. My (extremely limited) understanding is that most of that goes to community engagement activities for the youth. But parking is crazy there without a doubt.
c-jags
i read an article yesterday to make sure i wasn't speaking out my rear. they do charge to make sure that there's parking for other events at the church itself, but it goes to missions and outreach. if so, i have no problems here.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Surely y'all aren't hating on a poor little church in what has been a crumby part of town for my entire lifetime.

If the church makes 7 figures a year selling parking to lemmings, good for them. I do sincerely hope that the pastor and/or leaders in the congregation resist the temptation to embezzle from this godsent gift.

If I only had a time machine to allow me to go back a decade and buy a parking lot in a crappy part of Waco... Or some Bitcoins.
c-jags
I've thought the same thing about both items HWBQ.

At Angelo State I went to a church right by the campus. They HAD to charge for parking or tow or else the staff never would have beeen able to park and they couldn't have had funerals. If memory serves me right they leased it to ASU for $1 a year but reserved the right to block it off for any event. Didn't stop ASU from charging $60 a semester for parking.
BohunkAg
AG
Bulldog73 said:

I believe it's First Baptist Waco that runs a lot or two. I know several of the workers are people in the youth group. My (extremely limited) understanding is that most of that goes to community engagement activities for the youth. But parking is crazy there without a doubt.
It is. The leadership of that church was in a quandary when it first opened. People were parking there anyway. They have/had an issue with people parking there anyway and having to provide security. Also, like many downtown churches, they have lost some of their congregation in recent years. This provides them a revenue stream to ensure this beautiful church stays where it is.

Dr. Matt Snowden is the pastor of that church. He is a good man and is trying to do the best he can in a tough situation. Gets tough on Saturdays when they are having a wedding and everyone wants to park there for the silos.

I have been on church boards, and we constantly worry about money. If the church can make a little money on the side off of this project being their neighbors, I have ZERO problem with that, and especially knowing the leadership of that particular church. They are good folks and are definitely not a "for profit" organization.
mazzag
AG
I understand the quandary and I understand needing to charge due to expenses of cars tearing up the asphalt, etc...
But 7 figures per year? That leaves enough to help Scott Drew with his hooker outreach program.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
IN regards to the silos parking:

They do have free parking that is usually available, it's just not as visible as the church parking.

Good for the church to capitalize and be able to increase funds for their mission.

I believe he numbers posted above. For my work, we recently did an event at the silos, and the numbers relayed to me from our contacts with magnolia is 500+ employees and that the bakery has around 1500 visitors come through each day. They said they are shutting it down for a week (I think first week of year) to re do the floors. The floors they put in new when opened have already been worn out.

At our event, we interacted with roughly 2000 people on a Saturday there. I met 2 people from Waco, the most common place (anecdotal, I know) was Ohio. Then other Texas areas, SA, Houston DFW, etc. it was amazing the traffic that place has brought.

Any locals who complain need to sthu. It is so much nicer and improved our town 10x. We are no longer known as the branch Dravidian place, but as where chip and Joanna are. Thank Goodness for their vision.
c-jags
I don't get Chip and JoAnna hate. I don't watch their show but they seem pretty genuine from the few quips I've seen and have done nothing but good things for the community.

My wife doesn't love them just because she is a dork and likes to be counter culture. But she has no hate for them.
mazzag
AG
c-jags said:

I don't get Chip and JoAnna hate. I don't watch their show but they seem pretty genuine from the few quips I've seen and have done nothing but good things for the community.

My wife doesn't love them just because she is a dork and likes to be counter culture. But she has no hate for them.

They have turned homes into greige, monotone museums. And they're bu alumns so that's enough for me to ignore/not support them.
Edit to add: they had fits last year because some of their homeowners decided to use their homes as homeaway rentals, how dare folks profit from their work. Typical baylor economists.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
mazzag said:

c-jags said:

They have turned homes into greige, monotone museums. And they're bu alumns so that's enough for me to ignore/not support them.
Edit to add: they had fits last year because some of their homeowners decided to use their homes as homeaway rentals, how dare folks profit from their work. Typical baylor economists.

Their style isn't really my taste either but it's better than the dumps most of the homes used to be.

My understanding on the rentals was that the issue wasn't really the homeowners turning their home into a rental it was the brand/trademark issues with advertising it as a Magnolia/fixer upper home and utilizing their brand power to personably profit. A fine line to walk I know, but they do need to protect their brand integrity business line.
mazzag
AG
True. "fixerUpper" would belong to the tv channel. Magnolia to C&J. But folks said they got tired of all the driveby traffic and lookyloos, and thought hey, why not...
Not much different than a home being sold/rented and advertised as a "what's his name" custom home builder. I know of builders I'd buy from and ones I would not.
BohunkAg
AG
c-jags said:

I think they've brought a great deal to Waco. My wife has had some personal interactions with them and has said they are very nice folks to deal with.
BohunkAg
AG
Quote:

Also, they didn't have fits....some of the local city councils did. Really petty of places like Bellmead and Lacy Lakeview.
mazzag
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/08/18/fixer-upper-stars-upset-homes-are-becoming-vacation-rentals.amp.html

Quote:

The couple, according to a spokesperson, say never intended for their remodeled homes to be used for financial gain.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.