There is no Sunshine in Salado

8,950 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cowboy1990
Cowboy1990
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1633118003416362&id=157192324342278

I don't know who this guy is but his Facebook site titled Sunshine4Salado but he doesn't appear to be casting much sunlight. Appears to be more doom and gloom to me.

He's spoken adamantly against taking transfer students, which I do understand if it's causing over crowding, but with about 240 kids transferring into the district I would guess that's also bringing in somewhere arou d $1.5-million in funding from the State. That's a lot of funding.

Also have to disagree with the idea that surrounding school districts and communities would chip in for a sports complex located in Salado. Why would they want to fund something not in thwir district that they'd have to travel to in order to play their home games. Why would they want to send their revenue and tax dollars to spread sunshine on Salado and not where they reside.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't get it.
mazzag
AG
Wow. I thought I was a nut job about our school bond. And that's a lot of transfers but I'm curious how many are ISD employees' kids. BISD has 400+/- transfer kids and supposedly half belong to employees. My beef is, if you're overcrowded and have done everything possible (including no more transfers) and it's not enough, propose a bond for more schools. I don't like transfers. Their parents aren't paying what I pay in property tax rates, but they enjoy the benefits of my ISD (new multi million schools and facilities). F that. BISD has a lot of KISD and TISD transfers and BISD is declining, IMO. Hmm...
Anyway, Salado has done this intermediate school thing for a while and that's a clear sign of needing another school for elementary and possibly middle school aged kids.
FWIW, Georgetown ISD has a no transfers policy and yet they lose 800 of their kids to surrounding districts/charter schools per year. That's a lot of money lost per kid from the state and they're a Robin Hood district. I like their policy on this and their in district boundaries transfers a lot.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
A new trend in some large districts is to do away with attendance boundaries entirely, convert all the schools to some sort of magnet academy, and parents choose where their child goes until a school is filled. You make a second and third choice. So there may be a fine arts elementary, a stem one, a leadership one, etc. It is at least thought provoking.

As to transfers, they really do help districts pay their bills because of the state funding. And if they are special pops there is more money, and if they take certain classes there is more money. Taking the children of employees helps get and keep staff. Especially since there is a huge difference in salary from one area of the state to others, and teachers who are free to relocate, will go to the greater salary.
mazzag
AG
I completely understand employee kids that don't live in district. But BISD allows employees 1st choice of schools, even over in boundary kids. Georgetown has a no out of zone policy even for in district employees and out of district employees kids' attend the closest school that the employee is at. BISD has all middle school transfers attend SBMS. So to save room for these kids, they'll make parents zoned there, drive their kids to NBMS, telling them SBMS is full. SBMS is far from full. It's the lowest attended middle school and not even close to capacity.
I have friends that live in Jarrell and transfer their kids into Salado. They are good kids and good parents. She's very worried about this fight to get rid of transfers. She's also trying to get hired at Salado ASAP. And move there, as if it's affordable.
Burleson ISD has a couple of "application only" type schools at all three levels that focus on stem, arts, etc.
It would seem a free for all would wreck transportation though.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Grand Prairie ISD actually got an award as the best large school district in Texas for being so creative. They did away with attendance zones and also have some really specialized schools including Girls Leadership Academies that are single gender. They provide a transportation network and I honestly don't know the details. It seems that middle schools are pick up zones and then all students are bussed to the school parents elected? I interviewed with them but took an Arlington ISD job in part because of the incredible pay raise.
mazzag
AG
Crusaders41 said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1633118003416362&id=157192324342278

I don't know who this guy is but his Facebook site titled Sunshine4Salado but he doesn't appear to be casting much sunlight. Appears to be more doom and gloom to me.

He's spoken adamantly against taking transfer students, which I do understand if it's causing over crowding, but with about 240 kids transferring into the district I would guess that's also bringing in somewhere arou d $1.5-million in funding from the State. That's a lot of funding.

I started following this page on Facebook. This guy doesn't like to be challenged with facts. Those transfers bring in over $2million to Salado ISD. He's "not sure about that". And his son is the jv soccer goalie but I thought it was a joke because in the team pic, his son looks like Jack Black with facial hair so I thought it was a photoshop. Nope! A friend's son is a freshman on the team and apparently this guy's kid is kinda a bully on the team chat.
Best I can tell he doesn't like the city aldermen or really anyone. Salado has some problems and tries too hard to please everyone, but this guy defines TLDNR.
Cowboy1990
Ya, constant rampage against all things establishment. I would like to ask the guy why he doesn't run for school board or alderman if he feels those in those positions are doing such a poor job but I honestly don't want to be attacked by this guy.

You are 100% right on the Jack Black comment. Cracks me up.
BohunkAg
AG
Crusaders41 said:

Ya, constant rampage against all things establishment. I would like to ask the guy why he doesn't run for school board or alderman if he feels those in those positions are doing such a poor job but I honestly don't want to be attacked by this guy.

You are 100% right on the Jack Black comment. Cracks me up.

Hahaha. The loudest mouths never want to be a part of the solution. They just want to sit on the sidelines and yell. Too much hard work to actually get your hands dirty and do something.
Cowboy1990
He's back on some serious rants the last couple of days.

I'd love to ask him why he doesn't run foe any of the elected office positions since he's so unhappy with them but don't want to get called out and get into a mud slinging contest with the fool.
mazzag
AG
I commented but deleted comments because an old rivalry idiot commented. Had to share his post on OR.
c-jags
mazzag said:

I commented but deleted comments because an old rivalry idiot commented. Had to share his post on OR.
whoah. is there an OR vs CenTex board rivalry i don't know about?
mazzag
AG
c-jags said:

mazzag said:

whoah. is there an OR vs CenTex board rivalry i don't know about?

No, sorry. One of the comments is from a guy OR has made fun of for years. It's what happens when a grown man tweets negative comments at high school recruits.
c-jags
Randolph Duke?
Cowboy1990
Ran across one of his posts from a while back today where he is *****ing about the district not notifying parents that a private helicopter owner was going to hover over the baseball and softball fields to dry them out after a big rain.

I was glad to see some people finally call him out on his negative attitude.
mazzag
AG
https://www.facebook.com/sunshine4salado/posts/1761797047215123

Dude is making some sue worthy accusations this time. I understand he despises transfers and blames them for Salado's need for new schools. Unlike BISD, at least Salado has enforced a no new transfer rule.
mazzag
AG
Sob. Second time a central Texas thread from TexAgs has been shared on Facebook. If you have any reason to believe someone can figure out who you are delete your posts.
Cowboy1990
So today's post leads me to believe his wife is (or was) band director at SHS.

If so that explains much of his negative attitude toward administration and coaches.
Cowboy1990
Must Have missed that one.
mazzag
AG
Did I read today's post correctly? His kids have been in the district 9 years? That's not very long to have so much resentment built up. And yes, he called me out for saying mean things about his son. How he found texags I have no idea.
Cowboy1990
mazzag said:

Did I read today's post correctly? His kids have been in the district 9 years? That's not very long to have so much resentment built up. And yes, he called me out for saying mean things about his son. How he found texags I have no idea.
No idea how he found you on here. I guess he's got some good Google-Fu. Nine years is plenty of time to build up some resentment. Searched the District website and couldn't find anything on a band director last name Sunshine. Who knows, but if that is the case it sure explains a lot in my book.
c-jags
6th link from the top. mazzag said:

6th link from the top
mazzag
AG
Crusaders41 said:

mazzag said:

No idea how he found you on here. I guess he's got some good Google-Fu. Nine years is plenty of time to build up some resentment. Searched the District website and couldn't find anything on a band director last name Sunshine. Who knows, but if that is the case it sure explains a lot in my book.

Salado has come a looong way in the last 25+ years. One should be thankful for that. But I don't live there and I don't know what he's talking about when he brings up nepotism. BISD has plenty of that going on and always has. It's never bothered me except years ago when the son of the head of Human Resources was a elementary principal at a very young age.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I thought is was a fake name, but it appears he is openly using his name to fight the school--in spite of the fact he lauds the accomplishments of his children. Schools must be doing something right.
Cowboy1990
No kidding.
mazzag
AG
SISD bond passed. And mayor was re-elected.
Cowboy1990
mazzag said:

The Sun(shine) may just explode!
mazzag
AG
Crusaders41 said:

mazzag said:

The Sun(shine) may just explode!

He has my sympathies. It's been a year since the BISD bond passed and I'm still a bit bitter. Many predicted consequences that were dismissed have become reality. SISD has maxed their I&S rate with rare opportunities for impactful means to bring it down so the ISD can build more in the future. But his kids seem to shine in the ISD so there's that for him. Maybe he will run for school board? But being the only dissenter just makes things worse.
Cowboy1990
No way he runs for school board or alderman. He's basically said so on his Facebook page.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

Salado has come a looong way in the last 25+ years. One should be thankful for that.
Oh, so me going off to A&M was the cause of a damn renaissance in your eyes, eh?

mazzag
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Quote:

Salado has come a looong way in the last 25+ years. One should be thankful for that.
Oh, so me going off to A&M was the cause of a damn renaissance in your eyes, eh?

Give credit where credit is due! All Salado alumni should aspire to your time, effort and contributions to TexAgs! Now move back home and give back to the community that got you all that bling with your username !
Cowboy1990
https://www.facebook.com/sunshine4salado/posts/1808653072529520

Poor taste IMO.....using the deaths of those in Santa Fe to try and shame the school district into doing more, when it appears the district has and is taking action and precautions.
mazzag
AG
I'm more offended that he feels kids are less safe with a majority of female educators. It is in poor taste but it's something I know I thought about Friday. How safe is Belton High school? Is the district doing enough, spending enough? Since my daughter broke her leg, she's been leaving 5th period early because she has to go from the main to the 9 for 6th period. A couple of weeks ago, the very charismatic, not, principal saw her and told her she couldn't leave class early. She would be allowed to be 1 minute late to 6th period. He told me it's not safe for her to be out of class early.
I got a note from her dr saying she needs to leave class early. Dubois still said no. Umm, ya can't go against a dr's note. I called the director of student services. He was on my side until he realized the path she takes and changed his tune and sided with the principal. But her counselor and school trainers could not believe he would ignore the note from her dr. Even my husband said, look, maybe it's really not safe. Maybe something is going on up there.
I came up with a solution that's inconvenient to me but I need to keep her safe and healed up and he has a couple of thousand kids to look after. Her counselor did call me to make sure everything was ok and I had gotten it resolved. She also told me that everyone at BHS had taken mandatory safety training just a couple of weeks before this. Which is odd only because we're at the end of the year.
BHS has too many exterior doors, IMO. I don't know how they're monitored. I usually see 1-2 BPD cars at the main, but none at the 9.
I do remember BISD spends more on athletics and transportation than other ISD's in our district. I'm not sure about safety and security. I know the super said she'd hire more staff at BHS to help with keeping kids safe and monitored. She actually cut staff at BHS.
I think sunshine is off his rocker. And if he's so unhappy needs to look at putting his kids somewhere else for education or just homeschool them.
Cowboy1990
Ya, the comment about female educators really pissed off my wife.

That's crazy about your daughter. I don't understand how her being in the hallway with other students puts her at less risk for any harm. I mean, do they not allow students to use the restroom at all during class time? What would be different about that and her leaving class early. I'd also think that if she's had a leg injury being in the hallway with other students would actually put her at a greater risk for re-injuring herself.

I spent six weeks in BHS back in the spring of 1994. At that time it was so overcrowded students were actually instructed to exit the building to get to classes nearer the center of the complex as hallways were one-way hallways. I'm sure that's changed by now. I've got a nephew who is a sophomore there and he's never mentioned anything like that.
rather be fishing
AG
Crusaders41 said:

Ya, the comment about female educators really pissed off my wife.

That's crazy about your daughter. I don't understand how her being in the hallway with other students puts her at less risk for any harm. I mean, do they not allow students to use the restroom at all during class time? What would be different about that and her leaving class early. I'd also think that if she's had a leg injury being in the hallway with other students would actually put her at a greater risk for re-injuring herself.

I spent six weeks in BHS back in the spring of 1994. At that time it was so overcrowded students were actually instructed to exit the building to get to classes nearer the center of the complex as hallways were one-way hallways. I'm sure that's changed by now. I've got a nephew who is a sophomore there and he's never mentioned anything like that.

There was only 1 hallway that was one-way. And it was for good reason. It was the main thoroughfare from the commons to the classrooms. We never had any issue with it. There's plenty of other hallways to get to where you need to go.
GIF Reactor
AG
The one-way hallway was not a big deal. Hype did not match reality.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.