Moving to the Area

5,925 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Cowboy1990
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Btw, how's Rufus?
petey88
Captain Pablo said:

Btw, how's Rufus?

thanks for asking, pleasantly surprised you would remember. We are both getting old, he turned 10 in March, and is still a 100# Boxer. He can't jump up in the truck anymore, but tries,...so I'm there to pick his butt up.

I took early retirement last November, so that has been a mental shock to deal with,...taking my time to figure out if I want to stay where I am or move. Been looking at the Texas coastal area & Central America. Kinda hate to say it, but I don't really like the way our country is headed. But, we got through the Nixon era,...I do hope the younger generation can make their way.

Good to read your stuff here, as always,...keep us informed

Captain Pablo
AG
petey88 said:

Captain Pablo said:

Btw, how's Rufus?

thanks for asking, pleasantly surprised you would remember. We are both getting old, he turned 10 in March, and is still a 100# Boxer. He can't jump up in the truck anymore, but tries,...so I'm there to pick his butt up.

I took early retirement last November, so that has been a mental shock to deal with,...taking my time to figure out if I want to stay where I am or move. Been looking at the Texas coastal area & Central America. Kinda hate to say it, but I don't really like the way our country is headed. But, we got through the Nixon era,...I do hope the younger generation can make their way.

Good to read your stuff here, as always,...keep us informed

Will do... I'm here for the long haul, I guess

Good luck finding what you seek
Matsui
AG
I'd buy something out around Lake Belton. My parents used to live in Riverplace.
Matsui
AG
if you are golfer could buy in Wildflower
Captain Pablo
AG
Matsui said:

That's TISD

Know that's what you want before signing on the dotted line
GQaggie
AG
Hopefully we'll get a sense of where we want to be after we've been in the area a year or two. That will also give us some time to save up a down payment for a house.
mazzag
AG
Moving to the area from a metroplex sucks. At least if you live in Salado, you're not far from enjoying things to do in Austin.
sandman82
AG
There are a number of homes for lease in Bentwood on far S. 31st St.

A lot of med students and residents in the neighborhood. Pretty easy trip to BS&W.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I would rent in Temple. Salado is a better forever place, but if you don't have one in school, shopping and dining and everything else is a commute from Salado. It is artsy, but you will find yourself driving to HEB for groceries and Target for most other things.
texaggie2009
I have a few contacts that have rental homes in west Temple and they are getting crushed. Supply for rentals is way outpacing demand (Probably because everybody around here with a little jangle in their pockets thinks buying a $160K house in west Temple as a rental is a can't lose investment ). All of that to say, don't be afraid to be picky and negotiate when it comes time to rent.

Welcome to the area!
c-jags
I had some friends renting in West Temple and I choked when I heard their monthly rent.

I'd live there, but unless you're renting to a doctor that's a lose-lose scenario.

South Temple is where the rental property market would be more reasonable to me.
agsalaska
AG
Windmill Farms is not Lakewood Elementary.

ANd Lakewood Elementary kicks ass.
agsalaska
AG
Matsui said:

There are lots available. And Wildflower is getting new greens.
mazzag
AG
agsalaska said:

Windmill Farms is not Lakewood Elementary.

ANd Lakewood Elementary kicks ass.

I never said windmill farms was zoned for Lakewood. But it might be when they rezone boundaries, which they will sooner than later because they have to and Lakewood has plenty of capacity. Just like high point, where wind mill farm kids probably go, has plenty of capacity. But like I said, it's hard to go wrong with most of the elementary schools in the area. And Lakewood is over blown. Good grief. If the principal takes any more expensive trips thru the district I'm going to lose my mind.
mazzag
AG
agsalaska said:

Matsui said:

There are lots available. And Wildflower is getting new greens.

Do not buy in wildflower if you want to sell in a few years. It's not flipper friendly and new greens are great but have they done anything about the moldy club house and dining room?
GQaggie
AG
We looked at some properties today in the south part of Temple to buy. We are thinking about buying something fairly small that will be easy to rent in a year or two. Several of the properties are in the Academy school district but are only 10 min from Scott & White. We have been told the area is pretty popular for medical students and residents to rent. The rental market just didn't have a lot of options for what we want at a price that I thought was reasonable.

On an unrelated note, we ate at Miller's tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. We are looking forward to the change of scenery. Thanks for all the info, and keep it coming as you think of things.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
I haven't read entire thread but my parents have rental properties in temple. I'm not sure if they have any open, and my stepmom is a realtor in temple. If you need some more help, let me know and I am happy to get you in contact
With them.
mazzag
AG
Rentals are high. Keep that in mind if you want to buy and rent later. Academy ISD is a weird one. Attractive to folks that live here but kinda meh to outsiders.
mazzag
AG
And we had a late lunch at millers. I love their 1/2 lb chicken.
mel99
AG
mazzag said:

Rentals are high. Keep that in mind if you want to buy and rent later. Academy ISD is a weird one. Attractive to folks that live here but kinda meh to outsiders.
Why is that? We have a toddler and are trying to plan ahead. I grew up in a small town and would prefer a smaller school district.
mazzag
AG
It's a very small community and VERY property tax poor. It's also cliqueish and distinctive of the ones that have and the ones that don't. I viewed it as a "kicker" school growing up. Lots of white, country kids in ropers and brush poppers I know I'm showing my age and ignorance. I honestly don't know much about the ISD's performance. That can be found on the TEA website, but trust me, it's difficult to navigate and takes patience. Again, if "small" is your preference, I'd pick Salado, especially if you want your 1yr old better prepared to go to A&M.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
If you want really small, Holland has terrific scores.
The Grinder (99)
AG
So GQ, have you found a place yet? I'm a staff here at BSW and would be happy to answer any questions. We've been here since '05 and have a pretty good sense of this area.
GQaggie
AG
We are buying a house under construction in a neighborhood off of Hartrick Bluff Rd. The plan is to live there 1-2 years while we make sure we like living in the area and then keep it as a rental.
Cowboy1990
Funny that you viewed Salado as a kicker school. ...we always viewed Salado as preppies...
mazzag
AG
I was referring to academy. But back in the day, Salado was a "I don't know what to call you" ISD. Their academics were poor and they had a flight of "good" kids leave to temple and Belton. I think in was discovered in the early 90's that there was a teacher that wasn't a teacher. She was a sub and the real teacher never came back so she just kept on teaching for years...

Yes, wealthy people live there, but they were mostly retired and didn't have kids in school.
Cowboy1990
Ah. Ok. Makes more sense now
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.