Moving to the Area

5,933 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Cowboy1990
GQaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Central Texas Ags! My wife, one year old son, and I will be moving to the area at the end of August. We have lived in San Antonio for the last 13 years and are ready to get to a smaller town. We grew up in a Texas town of less than 6,000, so I don't expect the change to be too big a shock. I will be working in Temple at Scott & White, but we are willing to live as far away as Salado to the South and do not want to go North of Temple. We will probably rent for the first 1-1.5yrs to make sure we want to be there long term before buying. I don't have to worry about schools for the first 4 years, but I have been told to avoid Temple ISD once that time comes. I know that you can live in South Temple and be zoned to either Belton or Academy, so anywhere from South Temple down to Salado would be an option for us.

Any overall recommendations for newcomers to the area?
Cowboy1990
Have a friend whose daughter is in the top 3% at Temple HS and LOVES it. She's in their IB program and is getting a super education. My wife taught at a Temple elementary campus for 9 years and has since moved to a smaller district. She feels like Temple did a better job preparing students and provided so many more opportunities.

Belton and Academy have reputations in the area as outstanding educational systems and everyone finds it fun and entertaining to dump on Temple ISD. Belton and Academy are both growing exponentially and it'll be interesting to see how they deal with that growth.

Salado always has an outstanding Academic UIL team and does well is basketball, baseball, golf, etc. They seem to send kids to all of the major universities.

Academy hasn't had a lot of success on the boys side of athletics lately but their girls teams have made some noise recently. They've also started to fair well in the OAP realm (which Temple does as well-Academy's director is an ex Temple assistant).

All of that being said, every educational system in Central Texas has it's good points and drawbacks. A lot of it depends in my opinion on what you do to prepare your child on how to work and receive the education afforded to them. All districts in the area typically send a couple if students each year to the Texas Bioscience Institute in Temple which is a middle college program offered through Temple College to prepare students for a degree in the medical field.
GQaggie
AG
Thanks for the info. Sounds like Temple might be worth considering after all.

How is traffic between Temple and Belton and Salado? Does 35 slow down much there at all?
mazzag
AG
GQaggie said:

Thanks for the info. Sounds like Temple might be worth considering after all.

How is traffic between Temple and Belton and Salado? Does 35 slow down much there at all?

Traffic is terrible on 35, and all the back roads, between temple & Belton due to construction. Belton to Salado is a breeze. The highest property tax rates will be in temple/BISD. After that it's Belton and unincorporated areas of BISD. If I could do it over again, 11 years ago I would have built in Salado and taken my boys out of BISD. I thought Salado ISD was too "small" but they're growing and adding more to their high school academic programs.
TISD offers a lot more at the middle school level from what I've seen. And BISD 9th graders' end of course scores have fallen over the years. So it's not all that. Rent for a bit. Sounds like you have some time.
templeton
who told you to avoid temple schools? scott and white needs to get its act together and own up to the fact that they themselves are partially responsible for the white flight from temple when their recruiters whisper things like that to new hires. it happened to us 11 years ago, and happened to several other couples since.

ridiculous.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Belton ISD <eot>
After I cash out on my house near the Disney Lot, Lake Belton is a very real possibility for HollywoodBQ's older years.
Captain Pablo
AG
I'd go Belton ISD or Salado ISD

In fact, those are the ONLY 2 districts I'd consider

MAYBE Troy ISD, but that's north of Temple
Captain Pablo
AG
As far as traffic, Belton all the way to Round Rock is a breeze

Commute from Salado to S&W wouldn't be bad, but is about 15-20 miles

Commute from north Belton to Temple is a little frustrating because there are no direct routes... you either slog through 317 and West Adams, or you go the opposite direction to the loop/190 or 13th/charter oaks, or 6th

Commute from West Temple can get congested on West Adams

Temple to Waco is a nightmare due to construction, but will be finished at some point
mazzag
AG
Captain Pablo said:

My sister in law moved to Troy a few years ago. Her daughter will be in 10th grade next year and mentioned she'd start taking AP classes. I was glad for my Botox, that controls facial expressions.
She either hasn't qualified to take them or they don't offer them until that grade level. I also have friends whose son was an auto admit to A&M from Troy. He lasted one semester. I know there's many factors to that but IMO, it's one reason the 10% rule needs to go.
I have many friends that went thru TISD that are part of the "white flight" and their kids go to BISD. I also have many TISD friends that have stayed and raised their kids thru TISD. BISD has a lot of the same problems, they just don't get plastered in the news for some reason.
Captain Pablo
AG
mazzag said:

Captain Pablo said:

My sister in law moved to Troy a few years ago. Her daughter will be in 10th grade next year and mentioned she'd start taking AP classes. I was glad for my Botox, that controls facial expressions.
She either hasn't qualified to take them or they don't offer them until that grade level. I also have friends whose son was an auto admit to A&M from Troy. He lasted one semester. I know there's many factors to that but IMO, it's one reason the 10% rule needs to go.
I have many friends that went thru TISD that are part of the "white flight" and their kids go to BISD. I also have many TISD friends that have stayed and raised their kids thru TISD. BISD has a lot of the same problems, they just don't get plastered in the news for some reason.

I've had kids, family's kids, and friends in districts all over the area

Belton ISD is better than Temple

Do not care for Academy

I've heard mixed at Troy, but overall OK

Salado is good

Cowboy1990
Quote:

I also have many TISD friends that have stayed and raised their kids thru TISD. BISD has a lot of the same problems, they just don't get plastered in the news for some reason.

For many many years it was quite popular to bash TISD. MUCH of this IMO was brought on by leadership in the Temple Daily Telegram. This, being land locked, and not having the money to build new schools while Belton was throwing them up at as exponential rate contributed to a lot of white flight from Temple to Belton.

Belton is now feeling those growing pains as they are preparing to build a second high school that will essentially be "West Temple HS."

One of the biggest problems with Belton IMO is that their isn't enough infrastructure to support the growth. This had caused them to basically build a new community north of Belton and west of Temple and is where most of the new Belton growth is as while it is Temple city limits it is Belton ISD.

I remember the day when people said Temple would never build a second high school because Bob McQueen wouldn't allow it to happen. Well, all the white flight to Belton has caused Temple to actually drop a UIL classification while causing the need for Belton to build a second High School.

Belton still has much of a small town feel to it and is a great place. Spent summers there at my grandparents house (Dad is a Belton grad) and spent four years of college there (Hence my username) so I love the town. I just don't get why their educational system is put on the Central Texas pedeatool.
Cowboy1990
I guess it all depends on what you're looking for.... but again, 95% of it is what your kid brings with them from home....
mazzag
AG
Quote:

One of the biggest problems with Belton IMO is that their isn't enough infrastructure to support the growth. This had caused them to basically build a new community north of Belton and west of Temple and is where most of the new Belton growth is as while it is Temple city limits it is Belton ISD.

You're first sentence is correct. The part about most of the growth is in west temple is not all true. Yes, a new Walmart and fast food chains help, but the city of Belton has had more building permits pulled YTD than temple. And folks forget Belton added an Arby's and Popeyes chicken will open soon. I'm not sure I14 is going to be the mega boost folks think it is. But at this point I'd take anything.
Sue Mayborn and Susan Kincannon must have some kind of arrangement to keep TISD down. But that actually hurts the whole area. TISD is a wealthier district than BISD, but they have made some poor admin choices in the past. BISD thinks newer schools make a district better. It's a facade that we'll pay for for decades.
mazzag
AG
And I'm sorry to derail OP, but he needs to do a lot of research and probably just live in Salado.
Captain Pablo
AG
Crusaders41 said:

Quote:

I also have many TISD friends that have stayed and raised their kids thru TISD. BISD has a lot of the same problems, they just don't get plastered in the news for some reason.

For many many years it was quite popular to bash TISD. MUCH of this IMO was brought on by leadership in the Temple Daily Telegram. This, being land locked, and not having the money to build new schools while Belton was throwing them up at as exponential rate contributed to a lot of white flight from Temple to Belton.

Belton is now feeling those growing pains as they are preparing to build a second high school that will essentially be "West Temple HS."

I remember the day when people said Temple would never build a second high school because Bob McQueen wouldn't allow it to happen. Well, all the white flight to Belton has caused Temple to actually drop a UIL classification while causing the need for Belton to build a second High School.

Belton still has much of a small town feel to it and is a great place. Spent summers there at my grandparents house (Dad is a Belton grad) and spent four years of college there (Hence my username) so I love the town. I just don't get why their educational system is put on the Central Texas pedeatool.

They didn't build housing editions in West Temple because Belton lacked infrastructure. They built housing additions there because there was available land. The Belton City limit is at the Leon river... been that way for decades... and the city of belton can't cross the Leon because that's already the city of Temple

who is the "they" that "built the new community north of belton? The city of belton? No, because that isn't the city of belton. Belton ISD? No, because ISD's don't build communities. Builders build communities, and they do it where there is available land, and in an area where people will buy houses

They would have built houses north of belton and west of Temple regardless of whose city limits they were in

Belton has a finite area just like any other city. The city of belton is out of room for new housing to the north simply because the finite area there is full

As far as Temple --- Temple ISD has NEVER been ANYWHERE NEAR big enough for two high schools. Not now, and not in the Bob McQueen days

That has alway been nothing more than a myth, perpetrated by people in the 1970's and 80's jealous of Temple's success, and who thought Temple needed to be taken down a notch

And people pointed fingers at McQueen, who was an extraordinarily successful football coach, as the guy who was preventing that which was in no way needed or justifiable, from occurring

Finally, I don't know that Belton ISD is put on a pedestal around here. Look at mazzag... proud belton tiger who has plenty of gripes about the district

But I can tell you from personal experience, having had kids, kids of friends and family
Who have attended Area schools at every level, and having had family and friends who work or worked at pretty much every district in the area, that Belton, warts and all, and despite that IMO they grossly underachieve in many UIL activities and are not responsible spenders, is the best big school district in the area.

And also, in my Opinion, none of the small districts are all that great. Salado is probably the exception.

Captain Pablo
AG
mazzag said:

Quote:

You're first sentence is correct. The part about most of the growth is in west temple is not all true. Yes, a new Walmart and fast food chains help, but the city of Belton has had more building permits pulled YTD than temple. And folks forget Belton added an Arby's and Popeyes chicken will open soon. I'm not sure I14 is going to be the mega boost folks think it is. But at this point I'd take anything.
Sue Mayborn and Susan Kincannon must have some kind of arrangement to keep TISD down. But that actually hurts the whole area. TISD is a wealthier district than BISD, but they have made some poor admin choices in the past. BISD thinks newer schools make a district better. It's a facade that we'll pay for for decades.

Temple and Belton ISD's are very different, and it is like comparing apples and oranges.

They are not on a level playing field

And the primary reason, almost the exclusive reason, is Belton's ability to grow due to available land. Temple ISD has no ability to grow, because they are out of land due to shortsighted decisions made in the 1950s
Matsui
AG
Blue front white back magic !
mazzag
AG
YAT YAS
c-jags
How did I miss this thread?

Popcorn.
mazzag
AG
This

http://www.tisd.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=358962&type=d&pREC_ID=777775

vs

This

http://www.bisd.net/Domain/1

BISD doesn't have a comparable link for their campuses. TBH, the BISD site sucks and is difficult to navigate. It's not even mobile friendly.
The Grinder (99)
AG
I have a friend that is renting his house for one year while he is gone to do a fellowship. It's in the Lakewood subdivision. This is Belton isd. Lakewood elementary might be the best elementary in the area, certainly one of the best. It would be a neighborhood on the short list to consider permanently if you have kids that will be starting school in the next few years. This isn't the typical area you will find a rental by the way.

It's three bedroom (I think, might be 4) and has a very large, kid friendly yard with tons of mature trees.

He and his wife are ags

If interested, feel fee to text me and I'll get you in touch with him (806) 2 three 6- 48 seven 9
mazzag
AG
There's plenty of rentals around Lakewood elementary. Just ask the school board president , windmill farms is mostly rental property. A specific side of Morgan's point is still zoned Lakewood elementary and there's plenty of rentals in that part, it drives my friend, a homeowner, crazy.
"Lakewood ranch" has many phases.
One really can't go wrong with any elementary school in any district in Bell County. Heck, cavasas (sp?) in KISD, nolanville, is a great elementary. Heck there's mobile homes around it and lots of rental homes due to military.
But again, the "Lakewood" area pays the highest property taxes of the district. Temple city, temple college, bioscience AND BISD. that's why the rent is so much. Not because of the school.
Matsui
AG
What gig did you land with Scott and White?
Rabid Cougar
AG
My vote is Cameron. Smaller than Salado and not as snooty. You can get to S&W just fast without all the traffic. Housing is cheaper. Better football team than Belton and Salado. Just saying........
GQaggie
AG
I'm an anesthesiologist and will be working on the staff in that department.
Captain Pablo
AG
GQaggie said:

I'm an anesthesiologist and will be working on the staff in that department.

In that case, buy
Captain Pablo
AG
Or rent for a year so you can decide who's right and who's wrong about school districts
GQaggie
AG
I think this is what we are going to do. Our kid won't be in school for awhile, so we will likely rent in Temple for a year or two and decide from there. We are giving some thought to renting in Salado, but, obviously, there are fewer rental options there. Google Maps says that if I live near 35 in Salado, it will only be about a 20 min drive to S&W. Does that seem about right?
mazzag
AG
Seems about right depending how you go. Either 35 to the Loop or 35 to 6th Ave then 31st. You deal with traffic lights either way.
Captain Pablo
AG
GQaggie said:

I think this is what we are going to do. Our kid won't be in school for awhile, so we will likely rent in Temple for a year or two and decide from there. We are giving some thought to renting in Salado, but, obviously, there are fewer rental options there. Google Maps says that if I live near 35 in Salado, it will only be about a 20 min drive to S&W. Does that seem about right?

Good plan. Rent close to work and take a year to learn the area

And the school districts

And don't worry about a commute from Salado if that's what you decide

Salado is full of S&W people

Commute is a piece of cake
Captain Pablo
AG
Trust me --- working at S&W, you'll know all you need to know about school districts within a month

And they'll ALL have an opinion
petey88

that's probably about right, just offering a comment.

I'm in the Belton area, Salado is a very easy 10 minute trip. Up until a few months ago, I was going to Temple daily. The way it appears to be now, I can agree with the 20 minute commute, but haven't been over by Scott & White in six months.

Captain Pablo
AG
petey88 said:

I'm in the Belton area, Salado is a very easy 10 minute trip. Up until a few months ago, I was going to Temple daily. The way it appears to be now, I can agree with the 20 minute commute, but haven't been over by Scott & White in six months.

You'll encounter a line of traffic at the loop 363 exit, and at 31st from loop 363

No big deal though
petey88
Captain Pablo said:

petey88 said:

You'll encounter a line of traffic at the loop 363 exit, and at 31st from loop 363

No big deal though

saw that yesterday on 35, out of Belton going north took the access road. Slightly past the Midway Drive exit traffic on 35 was stopped, nobody moving. Went to a couple of places at Bird Creek Crossing shopping center for maybe an hour, and then headed south. By then north bound 35 was backed up to Midway
Captain Pablo
AG
petey88 said:

Captain Pablo said:

petey88 said:

No big deal though

saw that yesterday on 35, out of Belton going north took the access road. Slightly past the Midway Drive exit traffic on 35 was stopped, nobody moving. Went to a couple of places at Bird Creek Crossing shopping center for maybe an hour, and then headed south. By then north bound 35 was backed up to Midway

Yeah, and there's still construction going on and that gums everything up for several miles in either direction because people are taking alternative routes for everything

I expect when all of the construction is done it is going to be a lot smoother than what you see now.

Just gonna take a while, but they have really picked up Pace lately
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.