Macy's, the Bartlett jail and Panda energy

2,765 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Captain Pablo
mazzag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Macy's is closing, the jail probably will and Panda filed ch 11. How bad will these effect our local economy? I have a friend that works at the jail. Her and her husband were going to move from harker heights to Three Creeks in belton and that's on hold. If Panda can restructure they'll be ok, but if they can't, that a huge loss in property taxes for temple and TISD. Dillard's will move into the Macy's store, so the Dillard's location will need to be filled. I feel like our local economy is stagnant as it is.
Astrobo
AG
My head.....its spinning now.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
I would expect Dillard's to split their store likenin Waco.

One side is women's/kids the other is homeware and men's.
mazzag
AG
Me too but they're just moving across the mall. I can't blame them. The Macy's location was an add on and had much better lighting and maybe bigger.
c-jags
Macy's doesn't bother me. They, Dillard's, JC Penny and the like did not adapt with change of times. They were late to the online game. Look at Walmart and Target as to how they adapted.

Bartlett is unfortunately servicing to small an area to justify being opened.

I don't like people losing jobs obviously... butttttt......, everything going in across from Scott and White and coming on 2305 is probably more jobs than were lost. Could be off on that.

Also there's going to be a whole new playground on I35 between Industrial and the loop for businesses to develop after PCS stops jacking around.

ETA: not trivializing those that lost jobs. That's terrible and I hope they find gainful employment soon. I was speaking to the overall economy.
texaggie2009
Macy's owned that building and sold it to Dillard's, which is why they moved. It'll be tough for the mall to fill their old spot, but malls everywhere are struggling.

Panda will restructure and keep on chugging along.

The state jail closing will be really tough for Bartlett.
mazzag
AG
texaggie2009 said:

Macy's owned that building and sold it to Dillard's, which is why they moved. It'll be tough for the mall to fill their old spot, but malls everywhere are struggling.

Panda will restructure and keep on chugging along.

The state jail closing will be really tough for Bartlett.

Dillard's moving will hurt curb appeal to the mall. Drive by's won't see an anchor. Temple mall has sucked for a long time. Killeen mall seems just fine. Panda is hoping to restructure but that's no guarantee, especially based on their excuse for failure. Bartlett jail closing sucks for the city and it's many employees. I'm guessing most of them don't live in Bartlett, but surrounding areas. Barrett's schools have been in trouble for a while . But let's keep acting like this area is flourishing. A realtor told me there's actual bidding on homes. All I see are prices being dropped. This is in the $550k+ range. A bunch of high end fast foods across from sit and wait aren't economic boosts. They are jobs for folks with minimum college and a ceiling for earnings.
JAW3336
AG
How many current fast food places will close when the new ones open? Smashburger already closed and I bet others will follow.

Not enough population growth to support so many new eateries.
hwellen
Smashburger didn't close just the one in Temple though. They closed several locations throughout the state including the one in Waco and several in Austin during that time.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the new 38,000 square-foot rehabilitation hospital that Temple is getting. It was announced that Everest Rehabilitation Hospitals (based in Dallas), will be building an inpatient rehabilitation facility that will have 36 private inpatient rooms; creating 120 jobs. The hospital will be located on HK Dodgen (Loop) and 5th Street.

Also surprised no one has mentioned the new $60 million surgical sciences facility that Scott & White is currently building. Which is a great thing for Temple.

I also laugh at the fact that not just ten years ago, people complained about there not being enough fast food/dining places, but now that Temple has greatly increased the number of options, people complain. Weird.

I'm just happy to see Temple growing the way it is these last few years. It's been a long time coming.

mazzag
AG
Didn't know about the rehab facility and I forgot about the surgical center. We definitely don't lack for fast food type places, I think the complaint comes from quality restaurants. And quality retail. But the retail and dining we have are here based on the economy.
OutdoorAg
AG
Don't you know that you're only allowed to spread doom and gloom around here. This forum has no space for positivity and optimism.
Cowboy1990
Was just discussing the other evening with friends how surprised I was that Temple hasnt brought any new true retailers in quite a while. Especially placed that appeal to young people such as Ols Navy, Aeropostale, American Eagle, etc.
mazzag
AG
Haha. I admire temple for developing a medical corridor from 5th to 31st. Those are good jobs. But don't forget lubys closed last month so those employees would qualify for other restaurant jobs. I know there are cycles but so far new businesses aren't creating new jobs, they're replacing jobs lost. And that's a relief. I'm a B&M shopper. I don't buy online unless it's a replacement product or label I'm familiar with. Amazon prime is looking better and better but I still haven't taken that leap. I like to keep my dollars local, at least within the county. Until the bond election, I didn't realize how important permanent buildings, in business, are to the whole economy. I hope the BISD tax increase doesn't drive companies out of BISD, because we need them.
Matsui
AG
Are you referring to Panda Express closing?
JAW3336
AG
Matsui said:

no, Panda energy. The new power plant built in east Temple.
Captain Pablo
AG
Temple has always just kind of been in that "tweener" area when it comes to culinary and retail

Probably enough people who want and will support some things, but not the practical choice for location of some of the nicer establishments you find in Waco, Austin, or even Killeen

Didn't have a chain restaurant until Applebees came. Then Olive Garden, and now a few more

No Jos a bank, Macy's going under, rinky dink mall that is on the skids, etc... hell we don't even have a Panda Express or hooters... lol

Too big and too small at the same time, if that makes sense
Captain Pablo
AG
JAW3336 said:

Matsui said:

no, Panda energy. The new power plant built in east Temple.

Had to be a joke
mazzag
AG
It's not too big or too small. It's the average income. Since I've been driving to Georgetown and hutto a few times a week the last 2 years for soccer, I've hit up their HEB's and targets. WAY different merchandise offered. Way more high end items. And same somewhat in Killeen too. We have the population, when you consider surrounding areas, academy, holland, Salado, Troy, Cameron, etc...we just don't have the income. Folks in this area balk at our clearing prices sometimes. Towards the west and south, they never do.
Captain Pablo
AG
mazzag said:

It's not too big or too small. It's the average income. Since I've been driving to Georgetown and hutto a few times a week the last 2 years for soccer, I've hit up their HEB's and targets. WAY different merchandise offered. Way more high end items. And same somewhat in Killeen too. We have the population, when you consider surrounding areas, academy, holland, Salado, Troy, Cameron, etc...we just don't have the income. Folks in this area balk at our clearing prices sometimes. Towards the west and south, they never do.

Definitely a factor
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.