Belton roundabout

4,475 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mazzag
GIF Reactor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Belton is going to build a roundabout at the intersection of Sparta Road & Commerce Drive. The board's thoughts? Personally, I think this is a bad idea, but I hope it is a success.
DMK
AG
What on earth for?
GIF Reactor
AG
The City has cited safety as the main factor, and also that if a traffic light were to be placed there, it would be up to the city to maintain it. It would be the first city owned & maintained light; all others are owned & maintained by TxDOT.
mazzag
AG
I've heard the mobile home manufacturer at the corner of 121 and Sparta despises it. Oxford, MS has traffic circles at the over passes to get on the highway and they're great. Down town New Braunfels has one where there's a lot of auto and pedestrian traffic and it's terrible. The location in Belton has a lot more pedestrian traffic during the day than folks realize. So I think it's dumb and dangerous and I'm not surprised by anything dumb and dangerous leaders in this area pursue any more.
mazzag
AG
Lord forbid the city of Belton has to maintain something that doesn't benefit UMHB. There should be plenty of money with all the growth and recent annexations.
mazzag
AG
Kids walk from Sparta Rd to the Walmart all the time. Or ride bikes. There's a hop station right next to Walmart that a lot of folks walk to. Good grief I can't wait to get out of this hell hole. 4 more years.
BohunkAg
AG
I've been hoping for them to take out the stupid Waco traffic circle for years. That thing is a death trap.
c-jags
the first time i drove to Waco to see friends in college i had no idea WTH to do when i got there. first time i ever saw one.
Cowboy1990
BohunkAg said:

I've been hoping for them to take out the stupid Waco traffic circle for years. That thing is a death trap.

I love the Circle.....no waiting for a darn light when there's no cross traffic. It's also beneficial at the Waco location because it has more than two streets feeding into it.
GIF Reactor
AG
mazzag said:

I've heard the mobile home manufacturer at the corner of 121 and Sparta despises it. Oxford, MS has traffic circles at the over passes to get on the highway and they're great. Down town New Braunfels has one where there's a lot of auto and pedestrian traffic and it's terrible. The location in Belton has a lot more pedestrian traffic during the day than folks realize. So I think it's dumb and dangerous and I'm not surprised by anything dumb and dangerous leaders in this area pursue any more.

From what I read they were okay with it. The City set up a to scale version out of cones at the Expo Center, and the trucks hauling mobile homes could navigate it. Whether they have a different opinion behind closed doors, who knows.

I didn't realize traffic at that intersection was a big issue that needs addressing. And I've never met a single person who likes the Waco circle. The City of Round Rock is also putting one in their downtown.
EMY92
AG
The problem with the Waco circle is that it is two lanes all the way around. If you look at most modern circles, the outside lane must exit the circle at the next connecting street. In Waco, you have people going from the inside lane to the connecting street without regard to the vehicle to the right.
petey88

The circle at one time was mound of dirt and grass. Then the city had a great idea to spend money to turn it into concrete with a brick? star,...what we all thought was funny, was that one couldn't even tell it was a giant star. You could see it from aircraft above
Worlds Foremost Ag
AG
EMY92 said:

The problem with the Waco circle is that it is two lanes all the way around. If you look at most modern circles, the outside lane must exit the circle at the next connecting street. In Waco, you have people going from the inside lane to the connecting street without regard to the vehicle to the right.

Yep the problem is people don't know how they should drive it.

In a two lane roundabout:

Outside lane = right turn or straight
Inside lane = left turn or straight

In Waco, if you're going straight you should just stick to the outside lane because if you go inside most of the time you will be cutoff by a dumbass going left from the outside lane. They are not difficult but people just don't take the time to learn.

GIF Reactor
AG
Construction has started on the roundabout as of last Friday. The city hopes to be complete by the time school starts back in the fall. Fingers crossed.
mazzag
AG
Not happening by the time school starts.

https://www.facebook.com/TempleTelegram/posts/10154861665959786
mazzag
AG
And the city approved an affordable housing complex at the corner of Sparta and Commerce, probably to help with traffic concerns.

http://www.tdtnews.com/news/article_beaff0da-6365-11e7-8b9a-db35a5fb20f3.html

Quote:

In January, the Belton City Council backed a similar effort to secure a tax credit by Bryan-based Homestead Development to build an affordable apartment complex on the corner of Sparta Road and Commerce Drive.
GIF Reactor
AG
A couple of weeks after the August 21st start date for BISD, per the Telegram. Should make the first few weeks of school fun.
c-jags
Just took this yesterday. No idea why we have it... but it's open.
Captain Pablo
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

A couple of weeks after the August 21st start date for BISD, per the Telegram. Should make the first few weeks of school fun.

Yeah, they didn't quite make that deadline, did they?

They certainly fiddled around long enough on that thing
c-jags
I35 says hold my beer.
Captain Pablo
AG
c-jags said:

I35 says hold my beer.

Yeah, I-35 south of Temple was a disgrace

That's comparing peanuts to watermelons

That Sparta deal was a piss ant little project that should have been finished months ago
mazzag
AG
c-jags said:

Just took this yesterday. No idea why we have it... but it's open.

It's there to help facilitate BISD buses thru the intersection. And no other reason. Just like the "MLK" bridge is there to give access for UMHB to property on the other side of Nolan creek. Squeaky wheels get the grease. It's a racket run by the city council that's run by FBC of Belton. What a sheet show but I'm not in the city limits so I don't pay that tax. But I wonder why the city doesn't maintain the easement of the part of the road they own that's eventually the county road I live on? I despise the town I grew up in. Run by hypocrites.
c-jags
Captain Pablo said:

c-jags said:

I35 says hold my beer.

That Sparta deal was a piss ant little project that should have been finished months ago
south of Temple was a disgrace? Temple is a disgrace as it stands. in my travels i can't count how many people learn i'm from Temple and immediately they go into how many times they got stuck in standstills here for no good reason.

2 more years... 2 more.
Captain Pablo
AG
c-jags said:

Captain Pablo said:

c-jags said:

I35 says hold my beer.

south of Temple was a disgrace? Temple is a disgrace as it stands. in my travels i can't count how many people learn i'm from Temple and immediately they go into how many times they got stuck in standstills here for no good reason.

2 more years... 2 more.

Yes, south of temple was a disgrace... people were killed in Salado, thenoroject went unattended for weeks at a time, they had to switch contractors, and it went way past deadline

I'm not saying temple isn't difficult --- but is it neglected and past deadline? By how much?
c-jags
Captain Pablo said:

c-jags said:

Captain Pablo said:

c-jags said:

I35 says hold my beer.

2 more years... 2 more.

Yes, south of temple was a disgrace... people were killed in Salado, thenoroject went unattended for weeks at a time, they had to switch contractors, and it went way past deadline

I'm not saying temple isn't difficult --- but is it neglected and past deadline? By how much?
oh snap. i meant Temple south all the way to Belton. that wasn't too bad that i remember. if you had said Salado, i would have agreed.
mazzag
AG
They threatened to switch contractors but never did. But the contractor did lose the 317 contract it had originally been awarded.
c-jags
They actually rebid anytime PSC or James wins a contract now. Too many bad experiences.

They're done for a while with TxDOT.
OutdoorAg
AG
c-jags
mazzag
AG
What did I miss? And btw, where's the thread that talked about chic fil a on 2305? Just read they are putting one in next to the Taco Bell over there. Thought the franchise owner was against it.
c-jags
He was when we talked a few years ago. At the time, he just thought it would take away from 31st St business. I disagreed at the time.

Maybe his opinion changed. Haven't seen him at church in a few weeks but I'll ask if I see him.
mazzag
AG
Good deal. He replied to me then edited. Quite the tool for tax increases so wasn't sure.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.