Rural Internet near Waco/Lorena

3,165 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DayAg!
rjhtamu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're moving to the country soon, but that means leaving our cable broadband behind...

It looks like in our area we'll have to resort to satellite, Central Link, or another wireless internet service provider.

I realize none of these will be as good as fiber, cable...

Anyone have any experience with Central Link? I'm pretty sure I'll be close to one of their towers, but I don't know if they cap, throttle or way overcharge for extra like the satellites do.
mazzag
AG
If you have Verizon mobile phones, add a hotspot. They went unlimited recently. Sprint and at&t don't work "under the roof".
rjhtamu
AG
We don't, We have att.
Johndeere
We live in falls county, and use a company called farm to market. It's more expensive than what you can get in town but much better than the satellite. There isn't a cap. We stream Netflix with it so it's plenty fast for typical personal use.
sawemoffshort07
AG
Central Link >>> Satellite (hughes Net)
Rabid Cougar
AG
Rise Broadband.
BohunkAg
AG
Satellite is the suck....like the absolute worst. I'd avoid it at all costs.

One option you might want to check out is point to point. Lots of these companies are putting towers up in these rural areas, and if you can see the tower, you can get their Internet. It's what we have, and it's pretty damn fast. It's better and cheaper than the old Verizon deal we had before...and the data is unlimited, so we can stream whatever we want.
sawemoffshort07
AG
Bohunk, that is what central link is. I agree, stay away from satellite
washburn321
AG
Central Link is good. No cap. I have a friend who uses them off of Creek Rd. The tower is not far away, just off of Southwinds Dr. I'm trying to get my parents to use them. My friend has said overall he's been pleased. Prior he was using his own point to point system with someone in Lorena.
rjhtamu
AG
Where we will be, we can see the lorena tower near southwinds, so we'll probably be going with Central Link
sawemoffshort07
AG
No cap and I think we have the 25 Mb service. Speedtest shows we get that, so not too bad.
washburn321
AG
rjh, are you guys building or moving into existing? I grew up down towards the end of Southwinds. Are you on Southwinds or off? Will you be in the T3 buildout?
BohunkAg
AG
Here's is Nextlink's service area FWIW. Mostly north, but some coverage to the south.

http://nextlinkinternet.com/about/service-area
rjhtamu
AG
We're building in the general area around Southwinds. Not T3.

Sounds like we'll probably be going with either Central or Next Link. Probably Central cause we can see the tower.
sawemoffshort07
AG
I know I weighed in on this and I do link Central Link. In roughly the same area, I am looking to get something a little less high powered and cheaper for a ranch hand at his house. Like 6M and $20-30/month. It's in the battle lake area. I have only found one option that fits but it's not in the area. Any help is appreciated.
DayAg!
S
Which side of I-35 are you on. If you're on the west side you might be able to swing something with Spectrum. It cost me $1700 to get it run 400 feet from the county rd. I had to have it for my day trading. I wasnt gonna dare use wireless or satellite. Go look and see how far the hardwire is for the cable. If it's even close.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.