Construction next to the expo

2,844 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mazzag
ag0207
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know what is being built directly west to the bell co expo center? Looks like a large project
Captain Pablo
AG
Expo expansion

Mainly, an equestrian center

$21,000,000 project that few Bell County residents will ever use, step foot in, or care about... but it will be a big tourist draw for competitions

Meanwhile, the main arena will still suck
ag0207
AG
Thanks. I figured it would be another tire store or another dollar store since that is all Belton can attract
Captain Pablo
AG
ag0207 said:

Thanks. I figured it would be another tire store or another dollar store since that is all Belton can attract

Lol. Or Tacqueria or fast food joint
Cowboy1990
ag0207 said:

Well, saw they built a new O'Reilly Auto parts store in Northeast Belton near the new walmart so there's that...

Who knew so many people still worked on their own cars....
Captain Pablo
AG
Crusaders41 said:

ag0207 said:

Well, saw they built a new O'Reilly Auto parts store in Northeast Belton near the new walmart so there's that...

New Walmart? Are you talking about the one on West Adams? That is in Temple
TshirtVulture
Captain Pablo said:

Crusaders41 said:

ag0207 said:

Yeah, I think that's the joke....
Cowboy1990
Captain Pablo said:

Crusaders41 said:

ag0207 said:

Yes, that's the one. I know it's in the Temple city limits, but that's all Belton ISD out there I think know so I classify it as Belton...
Captain Pablo
AG
Crusaders41 said:

Captain Pablo said:

Crusaders41 said:

ag0207 said:

Yes, that's the one. I know it's in the Temple city limits, but that's all Belton ISD out there I think know so I classify it as Belton...

Yes, that has always been Belton ISD since at least the forties or fifties

It has been in the Temple City Limits since probably the seventies

It has never been in the Belton City Limits

Kind of confusing I guess
3rd Generation Ag
AG
My parents built out there in the 79. It was Temple but Belton schools back then. Temple did not want that area in their school district at the time.
Captain Pablo
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

My parents built out there in the 79. It was Temple but Belton schools back then. Temple did not want that area in their school district at the time.

Temple made the horrid decision to cede all that land to Belton ISD in the 1950s because they didn't want to send buses to service all the rural areas outside of town... at the time, it was all farmland and a few farm houses

short sighted and stupid...
mazzag
AG
Is the city of Belton wasting their money? I don't live in the city limits, but another hotel/conference center? Are they really losing that much money to opposing teams staying in Temple for UMHB games? Plus I don't see where there's any land available where they'd want to put it.

Quote:

Belton has three possible locations in mind for a conference center and hotel: near the Bell County Expo Center, downtown Belton and near Belton Lake.

http://www.tdtnews.com/news/article_8ac6e560-1f24-11e7-8b10-17afc39986d2.html

JAW3336
AG
Captain Pablo said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

Temple made the horrid decision to cede all that land to Belton ISD in the 1950s because they didn't want to send buses to service all the rural areas outside of town... at the time, it was all farmland and a few farm houses

Maybe, but all that growth would be somewhere else if that whole area was TempleISD.
mazzag
AG
JAW3336 said:

Captain Pablo said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

Maybe, but all that growth would be somewhere else if that whole area was TempleISD.

What does this mean? You do realize it wasn't so long ago that Temple was the premiere district in the county? If every thing north of the Leon, except Morgan's Point had stayed with TISD, that property would still be developed. It's just that they'd have control over TISD instead of BISD.
JAW3336
AG
I am just saying the reason there are so many subdivisions being built there is because it is belton isd. Currently market value is higher in BISD than TISD.
mazzag
AG
No it's not. According to the comptroller. Not even the market value used for M&O which is what matters most to a district to keep the lights on and make payroll.

https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/property-tax/docs/2015_school_district_rates_levies.xls

Market value is on the left, Taxable for M&O on the right.

Captain Pablo
AG
JAW3336 said:

I am just saying the reason there are so many subdivisions being built there is because it is belton isd. Currently market value is higher in BISD than TISD.

Yeah but you don't know that the dynamics would be the same if those thousands of acres west of Kegley Road was temple Independent school District. I would bet almost anything that regardless of what school district it is, they would still be building subdivisions out there just like they are now.
JAW3336
AG
Maybe so, I admit I have no real knowledge on the subject.

But no one really knows what it would look like if Temple has made the opposite choice 60 years ago.
JAW3336
AG
are those numbers just the total amount of everything combined? Doesn't that just mean there are more properties inside TISD than BISD?

I know for a fact when I sold my house in rogers ISD I could have sold it for 25%more if it was located on similar farmland inside the BISD lines.
mazzag
AG
It's by districts not cities. BISD's total population is a bit over 58k. Not sure about TISD population. I can probably find that in a bit. And Roger's vs Belton or Temple is a fair property comparison. It's kinda like owl creek or iron bridge road. They're in BISD but that's a ways from anything convenient.
texaggie2009
JAW3336 said:

are those numbers just the total amount of everything combined? Doesn't that just mean there are more properties inside TISD than BISD?

I know for a fact when I sold my house in rogers ISD I could have sold it for 25%more if it was located on similar farmland inside the BISD lines.

There is more valuable property in Temple ISD because a higher portion of the property is commercial or industrial. In terms of geographic size or population (especially student population), BISD is much larger.
mazzag
AG
Found it finally. The TISD population is 57,765.
mazzag
AG
And TISD's higher property value keeps their bond tax rate at .24 per $100 for $210million, while BISD pays .27 per $100 on $188million. But Belton is the district of choice. I hope it still is in 4.5 years because I'm sellin my house and going somewhere else.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.