What's going up across from Scott & White?

10,330 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mazzag
c-jags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can amend my previous mean statement to agree with you moderately.

Freddy's is really bad after a 15 minute drive. But is probably my favorite hot fast food burger.

I'm from San Angelo where Rosa's is from and I'm fairly tired of it but it is light years ahead of anything you listed. But I do agree it's a little overrated. Everybody is pumped over it and I'm pretty meh.

Canes is a nice alternative if you're craving CFA on a Sunday. That's about it.

Jersey Mikes cheese steak is a big nasty glob of awesome. Never had anything else there.
mazzag
AG
Shut your mouth! Crows is the best fast food burger.
c-jags
I never loved crows. I mean I'd eat there again anytime but I wouldn't drive past whataburger or Freddy's.
Captain Pablo
mazzag
AG
You've dropped some notches for me.
mazzag
AG
But I will admit I had to boycott them year's ago when they took onion rings off the menu.
c-jags
I'm just never near one to go. I went when I was with BISD.

I never go to 6th in Belton for any reason and I've probably been by the one in Temple around Lunch time 3 or 4 times in 8 years.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I love Freddies, but it is a one minute drive from my house, so have never had the issues you mention with to go. I like Crows but NO drive thru takes it off my list.

I like Rosa's. It has a drive thru and since I don't like to go in and eat a places alone as an elderly female, I find it better than any of the other places with drive thrus. I happen to really like Panda, but we don't have one. I get the walnut shrimp every time. I think you have to go IN to the new place, so I wont be going there.

Captain Pablo
AG
I will give Rosa's another chance

I went to the one in Killeen a few years back and it was bad... maybe an off day... it happens... I like Popeye's, but had a bad experience at the Harker Heights one awhile back... only happened once and they've been good every other time I've been

Belton is getting a Popeyes. Woo-hoo!!!!

Also a new Thai place in downtown Temple... right where the old one was

Cuban Food truck on Central in Belton across from Jaliscos is pretty good

Agreed on Freddie's hot off the grill, but I like Waterburger the best probably

Went to Mama Fu's yesterday...they got my order wrong, but did take it back and start over... hired help hard at work, friendly, but pretty damn green

It was Ok, but nothing special... reasonably priced... $10 for meal, water, tax, title, and license, not including tip
Captain Pablo
AG
Yeah Crows is OK, but I'm just never in their area

GIF Reactor
AG
Been wondering about the Cuban food truck, will have to try it out. Love Crow's, but I have to go light on the pepper. Their club sandwich is good as well.

Saw they announced construction on Potbelly, The Catch, & Buffalo Wild Wings has started. Will try the Catch & Potbelly, will pass on buffalo wild wings.
Bulldog73
AG
I like the Catch for what it is. Potbelly is a pretty solid pass IMO.
GIF Reactor
AG
Crazy double post
GIF Reactor
AG
Potbelly no good? I've never been there.

Any one know why Belton doesn't have a stand alone Chick-fil-a?
Bulldog73
AG
I'm personally not a big fan, nothing there is awful, but nothing there is worth $8 for a sandwhich IMO.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

A friend of mine is a local franchise owner. I've asked the same question, and he says belton hasn't quite hit their marketing/penetration matrix to have its own stand alone. If current growth trends continue, he would bet it has one there on i35 and main/6th street corridor within 10 years though.
c-jags
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Electrical_Ag said:

A friend of mine is a local franchise owner. I've asked the same question, and he says belton hasn't quite hit their marketing/penetration matrix to have its own stand alone. If current growth trends continue, he would bet it has one there on i35 and main/6th street corridor within 10 years though.

I know the franchise owner in Temple. I never got a clear answer but from what I understand he hasn't built in Belton or West Temple because it would just be taking away income from his other two. Also Belton main didn't meet the customer centric matrix. He's just be taking away 35 traffic from the Temple store.

I don't necessarily agree with him but he's close to retirement, so I can see him not wanting the hassle this late in the game.

He's a really great guy by the way.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
My first job at 15 was working for him in the temple
Mall location! Very kind people. The owner I know owns the Killeen franchise.
c-jags
Good to hear a former employee feel that way. Steve is a great man.

Big Kansas State fan.
mazzag
AG
Just do what I do. Park illegally on campus, a short walk from the student union and grab your chic fil a to go. It's kinda a pita but I only go for lunch for my daughter. So glad the bushses on 121 opened.
Tube
Quote:

I know the franchise owner in Temple. I never got a clear answer but from what I understand he hasn't built in Belton or West Temple because it would just be taking away income from his other two. Also Belton main didn't meet the customer centric matrix. He's just be taking away 35 traffic from the Temple store
I don't think people are making that drive. Especially from West Temple. A CFA would dominate out west.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
They are either going there or to heights... I think a cfa would do well either on i35 or near the new walmart on 2305...get it close to 317 and beltonians will come as well.
Captain Pablo
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

They are either going there or to heights... I think a cfa would do well either on i35 or near the new walmart on 2305...get it close to 317 and beltonians will come as well.
Anything located at 317 and 2305 is too big a pain in the ass for most people of either city to want to deal with if there are at least comparable alternatives closer

Yes, some people do it, but for most it's just too much trouble

On another note, Sparta cutting straight through to I-35 is 50 years overdue
mazzag
AG
I agree with Pablo. Anything along 317 and west Adams is a pita. I head that way once every 6-7 weeks for a hair appointment and even then I dread it. And Heights has a chic fil a I thought?
mazzag
AG
Give it up. Not happening ever. Sparta doesn't need to go to 35.
Captain Pablo
AG
mazzag said:

Give it up. Not happening ever. Sparta doesn't need to go to 35.

I think it Is needed

The options for north Belton getting to Temple are horrendous, and are going to get worse as 121, 2305, and 317 develop even more

But I also concede it won't happen... plenty of reasons but a big one being cost of construction through the Leon flood plain
Captain Pablo
AG
mazzag said:

I agree with Pablo. Anything along 317 and west Adams is a pita. I head that way once every 6-7 weeks for a hair appointment and even then I dread it. And Heights has a chic fil a I thought?

Yes, Harker Heights has a Chic Fil A

2410 and 190
Tube
I think a 317 to Midway connection somewhat following Poison Oak's alignment would help tremendously. It also wouldn't have to cross the river.
Captain Pablo
AG
Tube said:

I think a 317 to Midway connection somewhat following Poison Oak's alignment would help tremendously. It also wouldn't have to cross the river.

I 100% Agree!
CDiem05
AG
Captain Pablo said:

mazzag said:

Yes, Harker Heights has a Chic Fil A

2410 and 190

And it's packed from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm... all of the traffic from Market Heights pours into there. Killeen/ Heights could honestly use another Chick Fil A... wouldn't be surprised at all to see one open up in Clear Creek. Zaxby's going up out there and those two would make a killing
mazzag
AG
Good grief clear creek has grown crazy.
Captain Pablo
AG
mazzag said:

Yep

Last frontier westward

From here on out, progress marches onward down 195....
mazzag
AG
Captain Pablo said:

mazzag said:

Yep

Last frontier westward

From here on out, progress marches onward down 195....

It is truly the last frontier. I put in an incorrect address on my maps to get to the Nordstrom Rack in cedar park today... talk about a detour. It was beautiful back road driving but I can appreciate why it's fleeting...
I guess Belton isn't the new frontier though I like living next to I14, NOT
c-jags
so i finally went to mama fu's yesterday... and liked it. but i did not like the service and was honestly put off a good bit.

i was by myself and ran around a bit after church so i could miss the lunch crowd. still packed at 1;30 but that's not their fault. so i come in and somebody asks if i want to dine in or take it to go. it's pouring rain so i say dine in. she says go talk to another guy with a clip board.

i go to him and say dine in for one. he says they're full and can only do carry out. he looks over my shoulder and there are 2 couples that came in behind me. i say there are 2 tables right there. he replies, yes, but we're going to seat these larger groups.

now i get it, i can go home and eat by myself, but it's pouring and i really would like to wait it out, but whatever. i place my to go order and stand waiting 20+ minutes. When i get my order there's 5 tables open and i ask if i can just eat at one of the tables. the cashier says "sorry, those are for dine in only."

Captain Pablo
AG
c-jags said:

so i finally went to mama fu's yesterday... and liked it. but i did not like the service and was honestly put off a good bit.

i was by myself and ran around a bit after church so i could miss the lunch crowd. still packed at 1;30 but that's not their fault. so i come in and somebody asks if i want to dine in or take it to go. it's pouring rain so i say dine in. she says go talk to another guy with a clip board.

i go to him and say dine in for one. he says they're full and can only do carry out. he looks over my shoulder and there are 2 couples that came in behind me. i say there are 2 tables right there. he replies, yes, but we're going to seat these larger groups.

now i get it, i can go home and eat by myself, but it's pouring and i really would like to wait it out, but whatever. i place my to go order and stand waiting 20+ minutes. When i get my order there's 5 tables open and i ask if i can just eat at one of the tables. the cashier says "sorry, those are for dine in only."

Doesn't surprise me
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.