So... Belton ISD's new HS will open in 2021

20,340 Views | 204 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mazzag
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Title typo --- should say 2021

http://www.kxxv.com/story/31756727/belton-isd-school-board-approves-plan-to-address-additional-capacity-needs

Any predictions on where it will be, what it's mascot will be, etc...???

Since it's Belton, I predict the school colors will be red and white, the mascot will be the Tigers, and the name will have "Belton High School" in it, such as "North Belton High School" or"Belton High School 2"

And the new middle school, or middle schools, will also be the Tigers and have red and white for colors
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Colors will be white and red. It has to be different.

My guess would be somewhere near location of First Baptist Temple?
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:

My guess would be somewhere near location of First Baptist Temple?

Haha. Yes. White and Red

And to shake things up further, the mascot will be The Bengals

As far as location, yes, I'm thinking somewhere in west Temple. Perhaps the Pea Ridge area, perhaps 317... maybe even further out 36

If there's one thing BISD has, it's lots and lots of land
mazzag
AG
There's been land next to high point elementary school designated for it.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
There's been land next to high point elementary school designated for it.

Yeah, I figured there was a pretty good chance that it would be in that area
mazzag
AG
FWIW, I'll vote no next year on the bond. Not that it will matter. The ISD picks up all the retired teachers & staff, who's taxes aren't affected, and hauls them up to the voting places to vote yes. Belton needs more teachers and staff. Not more square footage. But the 2 builders on the school board will help push this thru.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
FWIW, I'll vote no next year on the bond. Not that it will matter. The ISD picks up all the retired teachers & staff, who's taxes aren't affected, and hauls them up to the voting places to vote yes. Belton needs more teachers and staff. Not more square footage. But the 2 builders on the school board will help push this thru.

I disagree. Don't take this the wrong way, but you kind of think like a lot of Belton natives. The fact is, the school district is well past enrollment numbers that would normally facilitate a second High School. There is not enough physical space to accommodate the students they have now, much less The increased enrollment that is going to take place over the next 10 years.

Old belton simply cannot accept that Belton is not the little small town school that it used to be. And that a new campus is warranted. But it is. Probably past due.

The district population is growing very rapidly... you're not gonna deal with that by simply hiring more staff if you don't have a place to put them
3rd Generation Ag
AG
And the newer homes in the district tend to sell to young couples with young children. Those elementary kids are moving up and Belton knows that even without MORE houses being built in west Temple, there will be an increase in the high school level.

mazzag
AG
The problems at the 9th grade center are because it's under staffed. A counselor there told a friend when she unenrolled her daughter that Belton is becoming Temple, AND no offense. I'm not trying to start another debate. I read an article a couple of weeks ago that I almost poster here. The old hs can keep its current enrollment. The new one will hold 900 students. The ISD will still offer all the AP and other upper level, College Prep classes,but only on one campus. How does that make sense? They can afford new buildings but not equal quality classes on both campuses?
mazzag
AG
mazzag
AG
I don't care about the old Belton, small town feel. I care about the quality of education and it's getting diluted with every sq ft that's added. And I am a native. Duh. But fortunately I spent 10+ years away before moving back. A lot of my friends are doing the same. They want away from out of control ISD's. Welp, too bad for that.
JAW3336
AG
I don't think it is a possibility to get away from out of control isd's. At least not in Texas.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
The problems at the 9th grade center are because it's under staffed. A counselor there told a friend when she unenrolled her daughter that Belton is becoming Temple, AND no offense. I'm not trying to start another debate. I read an article a couple of weeks ago that I almost poster here. The old hs can keep its current enrollment. The new one will hold 900 students. The ISD will still offer all the AP and other upper level, College Prep classes,but only on one campus. How does that make sense? They can afford new buildings but not equal quality classes on both campuses?

Of.course that doesn't make sense... but I'm not convinced that's what they will do, although NOTHING would surprise me.. and THAT RIGHT THERE would be a classic case of provincial BISD thinking run amok. It would be right up their alley

That doesn't change the fact that square footage is needed.. maybe they need new staff, maybe they need new staff before new footage... but space IS needed.. it is a mathematical and physical certainty... the population is exploding.. you have to have space for it...

I hope they do the right thing and create two equal sized, equal resourced high schools like most NORMAL places do it...

But if there is one thing BISD is NOT, it's "normal"..
Captain Pablo
AG
I don't agree with "BISD is becoming TISD"

TISD is a landlocked, aging, stagnant district... what you have now is what you will have in 30 years, except it will be and older and residential property poorer...

Belton ISD will continue to grow over the next 30 years.. totally different situations
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
I don't think it is a possibility to get away from out of control isd's. At least not in Texas.

Not sure what y'all mean by "out of control ISDs"

If a district is growing, you have to provide school space for it... that's the bottom line

There are right ways to do it (Bryan, College Station, Georgetown, Round Rock), and there are wrong ways to do it. mazzag's example of a separate and COMPLETELY unequal model is an example of a VERY wrong way to do it..
JAW3336
AG
No doubt isd's need to expand as population grows, and I am sure Belton needs more sq ft.

But school districts in Texas have no checks on the ways they spend money.

There is so much waste and overspending it is disgusting. Anytime they want more money they put a bond up for a vote and guilt everyone into voting for it with their "it for the kids" crap.
mazzag
AG
http://m.kdhnews.com/news/committee-favors-two-belton-high-schools/article_673a3962-09b4-11e5-b3c8-b3b2d2fcd1e8.html?mode=jqm

quote:
This option increases the capacity at Lake Belton Middle School to 1,000 students and adds a track and field at the middle school. It also builds a new comprehensive high school with a capacity for 1,000 students,but with the ability to easily expand to 2,500 students. Bhs9 would be repurposed back into a middle school and an 800-student elementary school would be built. The tan option would cost $142 million to $160 million.

"How I began to adjust the tan plan was to put in my mind, for a moment, that there was a North Belton ISD and they need a high school," parent Nelson Hutchison said.

"Let's assume that we're two separate entities for a moment. What would a high school look like and how it would it service the needs?"

The only parcel of land the district owns that is large enough for a high school is the northern portion of the district, which technically falls in Temple city limits.

The tan option, building a mega-high school, would cause too much traffic congestion, he said.

"Belton will not be a great place to live if you can't get anywhere," Hutchinson said.

This isn't the article I had originally read, I'll keep digging though. They won't be equal high schools.
mazzag
AG
http://www.kcentv.com/story/31594412/belton-isd-pushes-for-major-expansion-to-accommodate-rising-enrollment

quote:
She said the district would consider cost-saving measures like building a smaller high school with core facilities, then adding space over time as the budget allowed.

I'm still digging, but this is closer to what I'm talking about.
c-jags
quote:

I think they'll call them the Lake Belton Tiger Sharks
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:

I think they'll call them the Lake Belton Tiger Sharks

Tiger lilies?
OutdoorAg
AG
I can't help but laugh at anyone who thinks they aren't going to offer the same type of classes at the new high school. It's going to be the same education people. Yes, it will start off as a smaller school, but in the end, it will be just as big as BHS.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
I can't help but laugh at anyone who thinks they aren't going to offer the same type of classes at the new high school. It's going to be the same education people. Yes, it will start off as a smaller school, but in the end, it will be just as big as BHS.

What will it be called? Mascot? Colors?
mazzag
AG
quote:

In the end it will be as big? So how long will it take to get to 3500 students? It's going to hold about 1000 for now. What does that make it? A 2A school? Here's a course catalog for 9-11

http://www.bisd.net/cms/lib02/TX01001322/Centricity/domain/128/academics/BHS%20Course%20Catalog9-10.pdf

All these classes will be offered at the new school? Even the STEM program? That sounds expensive. What about dual credit thru TC? What about sports? So we'll have 2 football teams? Two AD/head coaches? That's another $100k in one salary alone. Who's paying for this?
mazzag
AG
I'm not good at math but it seems our current bond debt is high? The interest to be paid is outrageous.

http://www.bisd.net/cms/lib02/TX01001322/Centricity/Domain/1862/Annual_Debt_Payments.pdf

You call this transparency?

http://www.bisd.net/transparency#debt

We're supposed to be a "conservative" county, and I know the board is made up mostly of republicans, but this debt and spending makes no sense.
mazzag
AG
I don't know about the mascot and colors but the new motto should be

"Every Kid a Debtor"

I like that. As the election gets closer, I'll make up yard signs with that and a No vote on the bond.
Eye Doc Mike 98
AG
Sorry if I missed this...

When the new HS opens, will Belton HS go down to 5A and the new HS be 3A or 4A?
"We walk by means of faith, and not by sight."--2 Corinthians 5:7
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
Sorry if I missed this...

When the new HS opens, will Belton HS go down to 5A and the new HS be 3A or 4A?

No way to know what the cutoffs will be... it sounds like they are going to try to keep BHS big, and the other will start small and "grow" from there

If I had to guess, it sounds like they want both High Schools to have an eventual capacity of 2100, which would likely put both in 5A.

If BHS is at 2100 when the new school opens in 5 years, that will probably make it a large 5A school, comparable in enrollment to Temple High
Captain Pablo
AG
What I dont understand is how they are going to funnel all growth to the new school, while keeping BHS enrollment relatively steady
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Conference Cutoffs
6A 2150 and above
5A 1100 2149
4A 480 1099
3A 221 479
2A 105 220
1A 104.9 and below 1A

Football

\ 4A Division I 723 1099 4A Division II 480 722

So large division 4 if they were at 1000 based on current numbers.
templeton
Not a belton resident so i don't really have a dog in this hunt, but I have to agree it's not really fair for retired people to vote on increased taxes they won't have to pay.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
Not a belton resident so i don't really have a dog in this hunt, but I have to agree it's not really fair for retired people to vote on increased taxes they won't have to pay.

Welcome to America, man...
mazzag
AG
nm. I'm on a tear about this.
c-jags
Quote:

I'm not good at math but it seems our current bond debt is high? The interest to be paid is outrageous.

http://www.bisd.net/cms/lib02/TX01001322/Centricity/Domain/1862/Annual_Debt_Payments.pdf

You call this transparency?

http://www.bisd.net/transparency#debt

We're supposed to be a "conservative" county, and I know the board is made up mostly of republicans, but this debt and spending makes no sense.

as a lot on here know, i worked at BISD.

i loved my time there, loved the admin. Dr. K and the staff really do love the students and have their best interest at heart. Almost every meeting i was a part of started with "make the best decisions for our students." i believe that and left there on very good terms on my part. the SBMS and NBMS buildings as well as the BMS re-purposing were both needed. there was literally no room to walk in the halls during transitions before they were built. dropoff and pickup were a nightmare. it's a better district because of those changes.

that being said, nothing infuriated me more than some of the spending that the district did and just had the attitude that the bonds would get them there every time something came up. When the bond for technology, SBMS, and field house failed, they blamed it on anything but the field house. went back to bond for SBMS and magically "found" money for the field house. they're floating, what 3 bonds, right now? that's just not the best idea IMHO.
JAW3336
AG
Check out the post above this if you want to know what I mean by out of control districts.

I'm not saying Belton is better or worse than any other.

They are all out of control.
mazzag
AG
It's funny to me that they desperately needed lake Belton middle school because the old Jr high, which was my parents' high school, was too outdated and it would be too cost prohibitive to give it the technology and building code upgrades it needed to function as a school. So the children got a new middle school and the old one was closed. Until it was repurposed as the administration building and New Tech. It amazes me that they work and teach under such conditions. How many millions this year has the superintendent spent? A new track surface, the new ag barn? I'm probably forgetting something.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.