If Fort Hood is the cause

12,131 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by agsalaska
3rd Generation Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will try to accept it, but my house has been shaking every few minutes from loud explosions for several nights now. I am starting to get major sleep deprived.

I am usually in bed by now and am a get up a three am and grade papers type of person.

Now the loudness keeps me from sleeping, with the shaking as bad as the noise. It also keeps by dogs upset.

Why can't they practice during the day?
GinaLinetti
AG
Night drills, yo. It was worse a couple years ago. This is nothing.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I don't mind so much in the summer since I can sleep in if I need to. Right now I am getting only two or three hours sleep a night and at my age it is starting to make me cranky and droopy in the day time. I need to be upbeat and alert in the classroom.
GinaLinetti
AG
Earplugs? I'm a sound sleeper or I'm just use to it
c-jags
We were just talking about it. I wish they'd do it during the day, but we live in north Temple so it's not terrible. it's not that loud, but it does shake this old house.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
The shaking is the worst. I will be nearly asleep then it will feel like the roof is going to collapse. I would have been in bed an hour ago except it is obvious it would be a waste. I am about to try to get a few hours of sleep so wish me luck.
trickplay
Are we really complaining that our military training is making too much noise???
rather be fishing
AG
You'll become immune to it. Just give it time.

Helped me a lot growing up near a railroad crossing. You'll stop noticing it before too long.
petey88

I had some business associates here from Dallas this week. Tuesday, we were in Temple going over some things, they kind of freaked out, thought someone was on the roof of the building. Then yesterday, I heard it very early in the morning. When back in Temple finishing up, told the guys it was Fort Hood.

Last night on the local news, report said SpaceEx test firing nine rockets have been heard in Killeen to Rogers.
Captain Pablo
AG
It was me

Too much Mexican food

Sorry
rather be fishing
AG
Yep, looks like it was SpaceX.

http://www.kcentv.com/story/28144641/spacex-rocket-test-shakes-central-texas-why-was-it-so-loud
EMY92
AG
I live about 10 miles from the SpaceX site, on a ridge, so I have a good view of it.

They love to fire the last test of the day at 9:55 PM. They don't test after 10 PM.
Ag In Ok
AG
Did they just do another round of testing?
EMY92
AG
SpaceX test's almost every day. Sometimes multiple times a day.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Someone is firing at two and three in the morning because my windows shake and it wakes me up. I think it is FT Hood. My brother owns property at flat that they use for hunting, and he said they see the firings, the lights of them not just the sound, some nights all night long,. That has to be Fort Hood. Again I hope they are practicing to go remove Isis from the planet, but I would love actually getting a full nights sleep. I am in bed way before ten pm, so even space x firing in the late evening means I sleep in short intervals. I have never had insomnia.

I also will not wear ear plugs. I need to hear alarms to get up in the morning and hear if someone was breaking into the house for safety reasons.
agsalaska
AG
I have been hearing it pretty late too. But fortunately I sleep right thru most things.
EMY92
AG
Middle of the night is definitely artillery from Ft. Hood. I heard a bunch 2 or 3 weeks ago.
JAW3336
AG
quote:
Someone is firing at two and three in the morning because my windows shake and it wakes me up. I think it is FT Hood. My brother owns property at flat that they use for hunting, and he said they see the firings, the lights of them not just the sound, some nights all night long,. That has to be Fort Hood. Again I hope they are practicing to go remove Isis from the planet, but I would love actually getting a full nights sleep. I am in bed way before ten pm, so even space x firing in the late evening means I sleep in short intervals. I have never had insomnia.

I also will not wear ear plugs. I need to hear alarms to get up in the morning and hear if someone was breaking into the house for safety reasons.
move!
Rabid Cougar
AG
Ft. Hood has been conducting night fire missions since 1942. I dont think they will stop anytime in the future.
They used to do B-52 strikes there too..
watty
AG
How long have you lived in Temple, 3GA?
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Off and on since 1948.

It usually sounds like distant thunder, but this winter it is shaking the bed and the windows, making it impossible to get a full nights sleep. Even my fellow teachers are commenting on how tired I look lately. Today I was finally able to sleep in, so hoping the catching up will help.

I can sleep through the noise, but the shaking it really tough to ignore.
EMY92
AG
quote:
quote:

move!
It's not really that easy. Most areas of Central Texas are still within earshot.

From the closest point of Ft. Hood to my house in Woodway is 26 miles. That is the edge of the base. I doubt that the firing or explosions are occurring on the border of the base.
JAW3336
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

move!
It's not really that easy. Most areas of Central Texas are still within earshot.

From the closest point of Ft. Hood to my house in Woodway is 26 miles. That is the edge of the base. I doubt that the firing or explosions are occurring on the border of the base.
I meant move out of Central Texas.

Fort hood was here before she bought her house and will be here for many more decades.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

move!

I meant move out of Central Texas.

Fort hood was here before she bought her house and will be here for many more decades.

That's probably about your only option, 3gen

I've been hearing artillery off and on for decades

It would be nice if it wasn't at night, but let's be realistic .... It's the US Army and they have to train in all conditions --- day, night, rain, sun, whatever.

Just part of having a prepared force when the stuff hits the fan, and part of life in Bell County
3rd Generation Ag
AG
People do not understand. I have lived here off and on since Temple really had brick streets the first time, with trolley tracks, and the old high school. I don't remember a time when the night practices were this bad for night after night with no break. Even during Viet Namn and Desert Storm. As I said, I hope it is because of some offensive against evil we are about to take.

But still it is hard to function and be alert with the huge energy drains from teaching a new set of high school kids every 45 minutes all day, four preps, two AP courses and one pre AP, coaching six UIL academic teams, doing junior class work as we ready for prom, attending some of my students events and activities, and trying to also be a worker at my church and doing shared teaching of a Bible study group. I am old now and need more sleep. I was a night owl and could function on a couple of hours when I was a kid up until about 60. Now I am a kid no longer.

I also think perhaps it is worse because in part the types of firing is stronger because the shells from the copters and artillery are more potent than in the 60's and 70's.

Even when I did not live here, my aunt did and I spent a big part of every summer with her after we moved away.

As to people saying why did I move here? Not that it is any of your business, but Bell County is my family home. We have lived here since before the Alamo. I live in my parent's home, which I inherited after moving in to take care of my father the last 12 years of his life after mom died.

" The area was first settled in 1834 and 1835 by the families of Goldsby Childers, Robert Davidson, John Fulcher, Moses Griffin, John Needham, Michael Reed, William Taylor, and Orville T. Tyler, who settled as colonists along the Little River." As to electing to move here, I did not really do that. My family is descended from Micheal Reed, and as mentioned in the history of Bell County, we have been here since way before Fort Hood.

Bell county is where my roots run deep. Both my grandparents graduated from Rogers High School in 1907. My parents and some of my grandparents are buried here. It is home and I am not moving away. I just want to sleep a few nights. It seems that when there is a quiet night, it frequently is on the weekend.

watty
AG
It's not any worse now than it's previously been in the last five years. It's just not that bad. I don't mean this rudely, but you're exaggerating and being dramatic. We all have jobs. We all manage to sleep and get through our day. I live in west Temple (Belton school district), so I assume I'm as close or closer than you are to Fort Hood. Yes, the windows occasionally rattle, but it's barely even noticeable.

Buy some ear plugs. Or take some sleeping pills. Most of all, stop complaining about something that can not possibly be as bad as you are saying it is and that you have no control over. And if it is somehow really that bad, then maybe you really should move. But I don't understand the complaining when you've been here so long. It's not like this is a new thing. And it's not like your house is the only one within earshot of Fort Hood. The other 200,000+ people within earshot of Fort Hood seem to be handling it fine, and most of those 200,000 are closer to the action than you (Belton, HH, Killeen).
Captain Pablo
AG
Cmon people

3gen, it's fort hood. it's military. Blowing things up is what they do. It really is simply part if life in Bell County and has been as far back as I can remember. And I'm not young. You're just inviting harsh reaction by complaining about it.

Everybody else, just leave her alone. She's not hurting anybody by complaining about the noise, and we don't yell at old ladies who aren't hurting us

watty
AG
I'd say she's hurting herself by dwelling on it and convincing herself that it's much worse than it really is.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
I'd say she's hurting herself by dwelling on it and convincing herself that it's much worse than it really is.

Well then let her hurt herself

She's an old lady

You don't have to convince her and everybody else you're right and she's wrong. Nobody cares

Just let her be
watty
AG
Eh, she posted it on a message board. It's there to be discussed.
Hagen95
AG
watty sure is piling on here. He must be an artillery officer.
watty
AG
Not piling on, and not a military guy. Just providing some reason.
DayAg!
S
Umm.. Try 155mm Paladin artillery lets say , oh.. 200 yards from your room at 02:00 am when you're in a dead sleep. Almost throws you out of the bed. After a while the initial shock wears off, you get the earplugs and hope for the best. Luckily not many rounds were ever fired off. But in certain areas it was common.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
Umm.. Try 155mm Paladin artillery lets say , oh.. 200 yards from your room at 02:00 am when you're in a dead sleep. Almost throws you out of the bed. After a while the initial shock wears off, you get the earplugs and hope for the best. Luckily not many rounds were ever fired off. But in certain areas it was common.

Why would I try that?
Endo Ag
AG
quote:
People do not understand. I have lived here off and on since Temple really had brick streets the first time, with trolley tracks, and the old high school. I don't remember a time when the night practices were this bad for night after night with no break.

Remember in your twenties and you would hear an older woman who would go on and on about things that just weren't that big of a deal and could not be changed? Sometimes perspective helps.

And DayAg!: Outgoing beats the hell out of incoming.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.