Buying a beach house

1,936 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by warreng
MooreTrucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We will be in the market for a beach house early next year. We're thinking Rockport or Crystal Beach or Surfside Beach. We want to obviously be close to the water, but also close a grocery store, medical stuff, and interesting fun bars and other non-beach stuff.

Thinking of maybe AirBnb/VRBO when we aren't using it ourselves, and maybe using a property mgmt company.

Thoughts and/or advice?
YouBet
AG
I can only speak to Rockport. There are quite a few kickass homes in Key Allegro in Rockport that you can rent. The vast majority of them are on a canal with some having direct views of the bay and most of them are second homes. There are also newer neighborhoods along the bay between Rockport and Aransas Pass. Key Allegro is going to cost you ~$1M to get in if you buy on a canal and up that price the closer you are to the bay. It's expensive but it's also beautiful and very quiet during the week because there is no one here (second homes). Holidays are rowdy as hell (in a fun way if you like to party) and some weekends can be too in the summers.

Rockport is an interesting little place. It's pretty eclectic being a fisherman's paradise + the art mecca of the Coastal Bend. If you like those two things, then you will love this place. For a town of 10k, Rockport-Fulton seems to have more restaurants (and good ones) than a comparable sized town has (totally anecdotal on my part). And I think that's due to the eclectic community here.

We have an HEB and a Wal-Mart Super Center. That HEB prints money. We also have a kickass ACE Hardware. To give you a sense of the money here, our ACE Hardware carries ladies clothing and accessories you can typically only find in very high end locales like Highland Park in Dallas or River Oaks in Houston....at ACE! My wife is floored every time she goes in there. (I'm not saying this is necessarily a great thing; it's just a reflection of the money that has discovered Rockport). Downside of that is that some of our restaurants have gotten pricey.

Not too many pure bars in town but we do have a couple. Sugar Shack in Fulton and there is one in downtown Rockport. More than that but I don't frequent bars here so I'm a little uninformed on that.

We moved here from inside Dallas proper and haven't regretted it once. Best sunsets on the planet IMO. Almost every evening is a damn art canvas in the sky. The winter and fall here are spectacular because it's basically California weather for half the year. I was very worried about the summers but there is almost always a breeze, if not outright winds, and if you are close to the water it negates a lot of the heat. Dallas is intolerable in the summers. Here, I can sit outside in the evenings in summer and it's pretty comfortable outside of days where there is just zero wind.
YouBet
AG
Medical stuff is a little lacking. You are about 35-40 minutes from Christus in Corpus. They have a very small satellite here and that's about it. You will likely need to go to Corpus for most, if not all, healthcare needs.
Cheetos
If you like quiet, check out Surfside…..and Lake Jackson is just a short trip over the bridge. Sometimes you feel like you have the entire views/beach to yourself
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

If you like quiet, check out Surfside…..and Lake Jackson is just a short trip over the bridge. Sometimes you feel like you have the entire views/beach to yourself
Surfside can get pretty sketchy on summer weekends. Make sure you are not on the public beach areas.
MooreTrucker
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

Surfside can get pretty sketchy on summer weekends. Make sure you are not on the public beach areas.
Sketchy how?
Fins Up!
AG
I would not do Crystal or Surfside, unless you want a Gulf Island that floods.

If you decide on Rockport, check out the Lamar Peninsula area. I'm quite partial to Port A, but my families house is up close to Palacios. If you are serious about fishing, Port O'Connor is good.
CONCATENATE
AG
Looking for quiet smaller communities? Have you checked out Sargent or Matagorda?

We are in Matagorda. About 1hr 20min from south Houston. Easy drive for short weekend trips.
warreng
For a short term rental the numbers in Rockport tend to be a little better than true beach properties. The main reason is Rockport has rentals year round. The summer is defiantly the prime time but people fish year round plus you have hunting season and all the festivals. I think we are up to 7 or 8 festivals now. Also in Rockport you tend to get a little better rental crowd. Where the beach tends to be a little crazier Rockport tends to get a little older crowd and families. I don't have info on the other areas but shoot me an email and I can send you allot of good data on short term rentals in Rockport and what your expected occupancy should be broken down by month. warren.n.green@gmail.com

Now is actually a pretty good time to look for a vacation property. Vacation property sales have been really slow this year in most areas. The higher interest rates combined with the uncertainty in the market always slow down second homes the most. In Rockport neighborhoods that 2 years ago had 1-2 listings now have 10 or more and most have been sitting for a while. That isn't to say they are giving them away, but if you find the right seller there are some deals to be had.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.