Hurricane Beryl

8,105 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Blue Bell Ag
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Y'all going or staying? Looks like it's projected to hit CRP. As I'm not a coastal native and considering we just went through a week of flooding that came close to the house...I'm not sure I want to risk sticking it out with potentially no power in this weather.

I'm a noob though. We were going to see where things lie tomorrow and make a judgement call.
woodyhayes
Will be staying on the Bolivar Peninsula. No need to run from this one unless it suddenly blows up to high cat 3 or more.
Brush Country Ag
AG
They are closing the levee gates on Pelican Cove in AP at 10 am tomorrow.expecting 4-5 ft surge, which is a couple of feet higher than Alberto.
mazzag
AG
My daughter goes to school on corpus. All updates appreciated. We are trying to get her out.
YouBet
AG
Keeps tracking right. We heard about a site yesterday called Ventusky who have been saying it's going to keep swinging north and hit Houston. And right now they are looking smart.

They currently have it hitting Galveston.

Will see where we are in the morning.
Ag with kids
AG
YouBet said:

Y'all going or staying? Looks like it's projected to hit CRP. As I'm not a coastal native and considering we just went through a week of flooding that came close to the house...I'm not sure I want to risk sticking it out with potentially no power in this weather.

I'm a noob though. We were going to see where things lie tomorrow and make a judgement call.
Meh...I live on NPI and I'm going to secure some of the things that could get blown around tomorrow. I'll get the window covers staged if it looks like it might get Cat 2/3. Otherwise, we're just doing the normal things, getting some extra water, charging all our external batteries to run things like phones and such.

The forecast has changed dramatically today...from south of Space X to Seadrift now. We make our bugout call on Sunday afternoon...
Ag with kids
AG
mazzag said:

My daughter goes to school on corpus. All updates appreciated. We are trying to get her out.
Good thing is everything is remote on TAMU-CC on Monday.
YouBet
AG
Ventusky (look them up) has Beryl going to Houston essentially with direct hit on Lake Jackson. Going to monitor today and see how it tracks.
ddub96
AG
I have used that app before, but not for tracking a hurricane. I'm curious if their track has been pretty accurate so far. Any idea?
drmwvr
AG
I've been following the other forum hurricane updates and missed this one. LOL. I was prepared to haul my boat out but will not now. I have a newer lift and can get my boat really high out of the water. On the home front, I have Bahama shutters on all my windows and will close them but that is not too hard. With the surge two weeks ago, we still had another 2' or so to go before water entered the first floor of my house so I am preparing for higher water by taking everything off the floor and taking upstairs if needed. I think the official surge last time was 4' but someone is welcome to correct me if that sounds wrong.
YouBet
AG
ddub96 said:

I have used that app before, but not for tracking a hurricane. I'm curious if their track has been pretty accurate so far. Any idea?

I'm not sure but it seems damn thorough. Wife ran across it somewhere with someone saying they've been one of the more accurate predictors. I can't attest to it but the app lets you pick from numerous models as well. I will say on this one they were the first entity I saw saying this was going to go north of CRP. Everyone else seems to have now caught up with that.
YouBet
AG
drmwvr said:

I've been following the other forum hurricane updates and missed this one. LOL. I was prepared to haul my boat out but will not now. I have a newer lift and can get my boat really high out of the water. On the home front, I have Bahama shutters on all my windows and will close them but that is not too hard. With the surge two weeks ago, we still had another 2' or so to go before water entered the first floor of my house so I am preparing for higher water by taking everything off the floor and taking upstairs if needed. I think the official surge last time was 4' but someone is welcome to correct me if that sounds wrong.

It was about 4-5' for Alberto. It came up our street and stopped in front of lot next to us. It would have had to get another 3-4' vertical feet at least before it got to or lower floor. Our house sits kind of high up on the lot.

We have a combination of automated roll down shutters and the ones that screw on via metal track. Are those Bahama shutters? I'm going to play around with those today.
mazzag
AG

YouBet
AG
Screen shot from Ventusky. You can see the projected path in white.

mazzag
AG
Refineries in corpus closing down. Now I'm hearing cat 2/3 landfall between corpus and Houston.
YouBet
AG
mazzag said:

Refineries in corpus closing down. Now I'm hearing cat 2/3 landfall between corpus and Houston.

Where are you seeing this?
Ag with kids
AG
Port A and Nueces Co issued mandatory evacuations for all tourists/visitors by noon tomorrow...
Ag12thman
AG
Doesn't seem like we need to evacuate for this one unless you're in Seadrift or Port Lavaca. I'm not directly on the coast, but inland about 40 miles. Is anyone evacuating? I'm still seeing 60 mph winds and Beryl is halfway across the Gulf.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Ferries will shut down at Noon tomorrow.
Ag with kids
AG
Ag12thman said:

Doesn't seem like we need to evacuate for this one unless you're in Seadrift or Port Lavaca. I'm not directly on the coast, but inland about 40 miles. Is anyone evacuating? I'm still seeing 60 mph winds and Beryl is halfway across the Gulf.
My GF's best friend own's the winery in Long Mott.

Hope they've battened down the hatches there.
YouBet
AG
Rockport has issued evacuation for visitors, RVs, disabled and anyone in flood area. We are in that last group. Fire department drove by earlier telling people to evacuate.

We are going to see where we are in the morning. Heading to Cuero if we leave. Have an invite there at friends.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Good luck to all.
mazzag
AG
Friend works for ercot.
drmwvr
AG
For Mark- interested to see what the surge does. I was here for Alberto and it was the highest in 20 plus years. Water now in my canal is about a foot below normal (looks somewhat like winter levels). I'm no expert but I would hope that would help offset the surge.
Mark Fairchild
AG
drmwvr: Howdy, again, same as you, sitting tight, trying to find everything I can. Tried the Ventusky app as on the Houston forum, however, cannot get the Hurricane track map to come up on the app, DAMN!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
YouBet
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

drmwvr: Howdy, again, same as you, sitting tight, trying to find everything I can. Tried the Ventusky app as on the Houston forum, however, cannot get the Hurricane track map to come up on the app, DAMN!

It's the main page. Not sure how you can't see it. Post a screen shot.

My settings:

YouBet
AG
drmwvr said:

For Mark- interested to see what the surge does. I was here for Alberto and it was the highest in 20 plus years. Water now in my canal is about a foot below normal (looks somewhat like winter levels). I'm no expert but I would hope that would help offset the surge.

This is what I'm hoping as well. We had a full moon high tide during Alberto which didn't help matters. Hoping the current low water level helps offset like you said.
Mark Fairchild
AG
YouBet: Howdy, finally got it like yours, had to do the zoom out feature, pretty cool, am Praying that the future wind speed predictions for RKPRT hold true,
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
YouBet
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

YouBet: Howdy, finally got it like yours, had to do the zoom out feature, pretty cool, am Praying that the future wind speed predictions for RKPRT hold true,

Yeah, if it sticks to 30-45mph max as predicted I've been through that before at times here with random storms. Maybe not that length of time but it's at least familiar.

Our neighbors across the canal are just completely blas about this. Nothing has been picked up. Just hanging outside watching TV.
Jodaddyk
We plan on riding it out here in Baytown, I think we'll be fine.

I picked up some essential Hurricane supplies yesterday...

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q70/924/pZwZX2.jpg
Jodaddyk
Live track of the storm...zoom in to see more info.

https://zoom.earth/storms/beryl-2024/#map=wind-speed/model=icon
Ag12thman
AG
Thanks!
TarponChaser
Houston gonna get wet maybe windy on the west/southwest side but this baby is hitting between Seadrift & Sargent. Why you ask? Because the weather guessers keep pushing it east.
YouBet
AG
We stayed. Hope we don't regret it.
drmwvr
AG
I'm still here. Will reevaluate at 4
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.