Harbor Bridge - Will it ever be complete?

8,306 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by Lola68
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looked through the first three pages on this forum, and didn't see anything.

Saw a news story today that TxDOT now fears the new bridge is in danger of falling down. I knew this project was troubled but had to go reading up on it. This thing has been in the works since 2016 and isn't scheduled to open until 2024. Will it ever be done? Anyone got any inside information?

https://www.kiiitv.com/amp/article/news/local/new-harbor-bridge-at-risk-of-collapse-under-current-design-txdot-says/503-5a483133-d207-4c46-b478-298e761b799e
drmwvr
AG
This pretty much sums up the entire situation

Burdizzo
AG
Hilarious!
will.mcg
AG
This is what I know: Since the Florida pedestrian bridge collapse a few years back(pre Covid) the "main span" of the new harbor bridge was put on hold while construction on the "approaches" has continued. At some point since that collapse a new engineering firm was hired & work supposedly continued on the main span. Also at some point it was found that the design of the Florida pedestrian bridge was not the cause of the collapse but the construction of it was the reason. About a month ago I heard from a supplier of the bridge project that the main span construction was on hold again. Then a week or two ago there was the news report about TxDOT putting the whole project on hold with no explanation & yesterday the mystery made public. Will it ever be finished? Of course. When? Don't hold your breath.
Burdizzo
AG
Article said there was a third party evaluation done that identified some serious deficiencies. I could not tell if they were deal killers or political theater that were fixable in reality.

Whatever the case, this project is snake bit.
Ag with kids
AG
Right now I just want them to fix all that cluster **** in downtown so I don't have to take that stupid detour coming back from Portland when I need to get on the Crosstown...
YouBet
AG
My understanding was that the original firm that started this was fired after the deficiencies were found but this article doesn't mention that. Is the original firm still working on this???

Also, keep your heads on a swivel driving through that mess downtown and absolutely do not drive it after drinking (not that you should be doing that at all). Some of those chutes through there are freaking tight and one little move to the right or left will have you scraping the walls.

When we were down there a few weeks ago, my wife (twice!) missed her turn and had to go completely over the bridge before she could turn around and come back. LOL!!! She called me the second time crying hysterically because she was so frustrated. I had to talk her down before she wrecked her car and died.
Shoefly!
AG
I drove those chutes Thursday after the hooks game sober, no way I'd try it drunk.
Ag with kids
AG
Shoefly! said:

I drove those chutes Thursday after the hooks game sober, no way I'd try it drunk.
It is a complete Charlie Foxtrot right now in that area....

It's a PITA trying to get back to the Island. Luckily some of the construction on SPID is finishing up.
Poke_the_Bear
AG
Anyone know an update on the bridge? Heard that flatrock has until sept 1st then they may be fired. Im sure a new firm will only delay even longer.

Also how long can the old bridge last?
YouBet
AG
Poke_the_Bear said:

Anyone know an update on the bridge? Heard that flatrock has until sept 1st then they may be fired. Im sure a new firm will only delay even longer.

Also how long can the old bridge last?
Pretty much what we've read. Seems like we will be stuck with it a while.
Mark Fairchild
AG
I HOPE it never finishes, live in Rockport, I do not think I could ever drive on a bridge that high and that LONG, too scary for an old man!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Ag with kids
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

I HOPE it never finishes, live in Rockport, I do not think I could ever drive on a bridge that high and that LONG, too scary for an old man!
No ***** It scares me just looking at it as I go over the existing harbor bridge.
This is a test. If this had been an actual signature, you would have been instructed where to tune in your area for news and official information. This confirms this test of the signature broadcast network.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Already planning alternate routes !
Mark Fairchild
AG
So very glad to know that I am not alone about the new bridge. It just looks like too much, and my word, how LONG is that sucker??? I am thinking I can go through Sinton and avoid the damn thing, much longer but geez that just terrifies me!!!
Ag with kids
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

So very glad to know that I am not alone about the new bridge. It just looks like too much, and my word, how LONG is that sucker??? I am thinking I can go through Sinton and avoid the damn thing, much longer but geez that just terrifies me!!!
You could always take the Joe Fulton Corridor by the port...shorter than going through Sinton.

And not just the size of the bridge but the fact that they've had to stop work on it TWICE due to engineering issues scares me...
This is a test. If this had been an actual signature, you would have been instructed where to tune in your area for news and official information. This confirms this test of the signature broadcast network.
CDub06
AG
I've got a conference coming up in Corpus and people ask if I'm excited to have it in my home town. Sure, but I've warned them what an absolute mess it is downtown. I couldn't stress it enough.

Last time I was there, my parents warned me to take an earlier exit than I wanted to because the next exit was closed without any warning signage. The next day, I forgot and we had a 10 minute detour... It's a mess and signage is poor. And it's going to be that way until the new bridge comes through to connect. I can't imagine what a nightmare it is for out of towners.

I'm thankful we have the Fulton Corridor for trips to the Aquarium.
will.mcg
AG
I'm biased being a local but the news & local radio talk shows act like if you are on a downtown street any way you turn you'll end up in Portland or San Antonio. It's not that bad.

Downtown is still very navigable to go eat or drink.

Yes, when you are navigating out of downtown via a "highway" you need to pay close attention if you want to go to "North Corpus/Calallen" versus "South Corpus/SPID area". If you're trying to go to Corpus & end up in Portland then you really need some help. One ramp goes to Corpus destinations & the other ramp goes to Portland. Sure, if you want to go to North beach you could easily end up in Portland. So what, you have a beautiful drive over the bay two times. Life is so hard!
Ag with kids
AG
will.mcg said:

I'm biased being a local but the news & local radio talk shows act like if you are on a downtown street any way you turn you'll end up in Portland or San Antonio. It's not that bad.

Downtown is still very navigable to go eat or drink.

Yes, when you are navigating out of downtown via a "highway" you need to pay close attention if you want to go to "North Corpus/Calallen" versus "South Corpus/SPID area". If you're trying to go to Corpus & end up in Portland then you really need some help. One ramp goes to Corpus destinations & the other ramp goes to Portland. Sure, if you want to go to North beach you could easily end up in Portland. So what, you have a beautiful drive over the bay two times. Life is so hard!
It IS a charlie foxtrot down there right now, though. Yes, you can navigate through there. I don't drive it often and haven't gotten lost the few times I've been through. But, you DO have to pay close attention.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Just to reiterate my feelings about the new bridge, IT SCARES ME TO DEATH! Gotta start using Fulton Corridor.
YouBet
AG
Any news on this? My last drive by over a week ago it seemed like there was new scaffolding around the two tallest piers at midpoint, but maybe I'm dreaming that.
will.mcg
AG
I haven't heard anything new lately. As far as I know work on the approaches is continuing.
will.mcg
AG
Perhaps the fact that Heldenfels(yes the Aggie ones) built most of the concrete beams for it.
Whitehouse Road
AG
https://www.kiiitv.com/article/news/local/txdot-proud-of-harbor-bridge-progress-following-construction-delays/503-8324402e-7594-409e-8aff-9a3eafed5c78
caddy
Not sure how to post a link but there is a series on Youtube called Practical Engineering where they do a whole show on the Harbor Bridge and why it has been delayed. Very interesting.
zpj0001
AG
caddy said:

Not sure how to post a link but there is a series on Youtube called Practical Engineering where they do a whole show on the Harbor Bridge and why it has been delayed. Very interesting.

Here's the link:

Keep in mind this was published in September, 2022.
davido
AG
They were adding spanning sections up high when we were on the Lexington a month ago.
zpj0001
AG
Here's a summary of the design issues and accepted solutions:

https://www.txdot.gov/about/districts/corpus-christi-district/cchb-update-03-07-23.html

Posted by TxDOT yesterday.
Whitehouse Road
AG
They said first half of 2025 for completion at the city council meeting last night. Don't hold your breath though.
YouBet
AG
Whitehouse Road said:

They said first half of 2025 for completion at the city council meeting last night. Don't hold your breath though.

So, 2027 then.
TxTarpon
2037?
Mark Fairchild
AG
The longer this construction goes on, the more SCARED to cross it I get, DAMN that is a LONG bridge, I do not think I can do it!!!
HeyMoe
AG
At this rate, by the time they finish it, it will be time to replace it.
YouBet
AG
Left my Rockport hole yesterday for a business trip. Looks like some progress has been made. They are getting closer to connecting the ramps to the two main towers.
Ag with kids
AG
YouBet said:

Left my Rockport hole yesterday for a business trip. Looks like some progress has been made. They are getting closer to connecting the ramps to the two main towers.
Yeah...I saw they had support cables installed on the towers too. Don't think they did the last time I drove by there.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.