Best area to live in Corpus Christi?

4,559 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by fav13andac1)c
fav13andac1)c
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After 13 years, the wife and I are moving back to the Corpus area to be closer to family.

Right now we are looking at South Side due to its proximity to Flour Bluff ISD. We have two youngins so we want to get in a good school district, so recommendations are appreciated there.

Also, what's the general vibe for those that live in Corpus? Do you enjoy living there? General areas to avoid looking? Thank you!
Brush Country Ag
AG
I would think the island or Calallen.
will.mcg
AG
Non native, lived here 11 years. Love it. Personally would not live in neighborhoods on Southside if it's on a tiny lot. Nothing wrong with them, not my thing. Flour Bluff has many nice areas(and some not so nice) & is a great school district. The nice thing about corpus area is you can live on one side & work on the other & not have more than 30 minute commute. My wife is a realtor if you need one. Email at username @sbcglobal.net if you need it.
racerfink
Living on the Island can be a real PITA for special events, or even just during the summer, let alone during storms.

There are some nice places around the Bluff. I grew up there, and liked it. Flour Bluff definitely has a different feel to it than Corpus does. Calallen is well worth a look too.
will.mcg
AG
Additionally, I would live in the Bay Area all day every day over the south side. All of Corpus is CCISD, FLOUR bluff & The Island are FBISD, Callallen might be it's own district, Tuloso-Midway & London(far Southside, acre lots usually) are their own separate ISDs & have a year round schedule. Gregory-Portland is a good district & recently built a large "craft-trades" building(welding etc).
mike_ags_fan12
I would avoid Southside. It contributes to grow and get congested.

We live in Annaville and love it. There are some nice houses being built down Rand Morgan which are next to Tuloso Midway Intermediate. TM is year round but a good school
District
zpj0001
AG
It depends on what you're looking for; I know people who live in every area of Corpus Christi, most love their neighborhood and can't imagine how people survive living anywhere else.

If you like the country and don't mind driving 30 minutes to everything, there's plenty of country.
If you want a country feel with an HEB within 15 min, look at Calallen or Flour Bluff.
If you love the idea of living on a channel or driving your golf cart to the beach, and you're willing to deal with the inconvenience and tourists, check out the island.
If you like older homes and really established neighborhoods, there are some nice neighborhoods in the Bay Area and Central City.
My family lives just on the Southside of SPID and we love that we're in the geographic center of all the places we regularly visit.

Others have mentioned the good ISDs, but also most of the good private schools are in the Bay Area.

Overall just tell a good local realtor what you want and they should be able to narrow things down to a few neighborhoods for you. But if a realtor is either continually trying to steer you towards areas you don't like, or seems to have no opinion or suggestions to share with you, drop them.
Ag with kids
AG
I live on the Island and work on the Bluff. Due to that, I rarely get into the other parts of town.

The Island is awesome. BUT...it IS expensive. Housing is expensive. Taxes are high. And your house will need THREE insurance policies (homeowners, windstorm, flood).

Of course, you can buy a place where you can fish off your back yard and then drive 3 min and be on the beach, so that's nice.

Flour Bluff schools are the best out here. My GF taught and was the head swim coach at King HS in CCISD and actually took the assistant swim coach job at Flour Bluff HS and a pay cut because it's so much better there. She is SO much happier...

And the other poster above was right. EVERYTHING in Corpus is close. No matter where you are in Corpus (even the Island), if you drive 30 min, you are no longer in Corpus...so, don't choose based on closeness to your job - it really doesn't matter.
Shoefly!
AG
Check out the London school district, it's small but the best grades are coming out of there for elementary level. Plenty of land for sale with some nice subdivisions, or if you want to go ranchette. The schools are new, south of Corpus but close enough to the city. The Chapmen ranch is on the other side.
I've heard nothing but good.
Paul Dirac
Gig 'Em!
fav13andac1)c
AG
Ended up purchasing in the Lakes. We're coming home!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.