Pros/cons of canal vs waterfront living

8,011 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by YouBet
busdriver88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I dream of moving to the Texas Gulf Coast in four to five years. Our plan currently is to find a lot and get it paid off before we make the move.

We aren't really zeroed in on any one location yet. But we have had discussions about which we might prefer…..living on a canal with a boat slip right behind the house or a waterfront lot that would have a dock coming off if it.

Any suggestions? It's fun to dream.
There may not be time to do the job right, but there is always time to do the job over!!
drmwvr
AG
First you have to ask yourself: Do you have and like to boat (or fish using a boat) or do you just want water views?

Canal lots are great for easy access to the former but most lack the latter.

You mention a pier/dock off of waterfront so I am assuming a bay view property is one of your options.

If not brand new, both will require bulkhead work at some point which is $$$. Bayside will probably have a pier and canal a boat lift(s) to deal with. Bay side will get more erosion from wave action.

Dealing with contractors who do the work noted above is an adventure as depending on where you settle, there are only one, maybe two that you want to deal with.

I'm a canal guy and get on my boat to see the bay, sunsets, etc.

What areas are you targeting? I'm sure we will have lots of opinions!

busdriver88
AG
Thanks!

We spent some time in Rockport this spring. Have a buddy there, and the wives get along. TBH we want to be closer to College Station. We have a small place there that we use for game days, etc. Just like being around Aggieland after thirty plus years in Lubbock. But want to live near the water. I can do my job anywhere in the state, and the wife is an OB-Gyn that will be looking to slow down at work in the future....maybe be a hospitalist, etc, but not run a practice like she is now.

Not a huge fisherman, but have enjoyed it when I have gone. Wife and I have envisioned jumping on the boat in the evenings for sunsets, etc. I think I could become a fisherman with time....

We are looking at a property right now that is waterfront, and docks are allowed. But boat access seems limited (no near by boat ramp, etc). So the views would be awesome. I have had a guy tell me that the view fades, but the access/ability to easily use the boat never does.....

I appreciate the input. It is truly jumping into the unknown. Probably a response to living in dry as you know what West Texas for over 30 years. But we both are excited. Have at least four-five years before we want to move, but it seems wise to get the land paid off before we start the process.

There may not be time to do the job right, but there is always time to do the job over!!
drmwvr
AG
busdriver88 said:

I have had a guy tell me that the view fades, but the access/ability to easily use the boat never does.....

Great quote, I'm going to have to use it sometime!

Budget is going to be a big factor in your plan. If you don't want to share publicly, DM me and I will be happy to talk off-line.

You should post your original question on the outdoor forum, it gets way more views than this. I will love seeing all the responses and opinions....do it!
htxag09
AG
My parents are on a canal in corpus. Actually down here right now.

Not really the answer to your question, but a big consideration, imo, is the backyard/water facing south or north. You can look down his canal and nobody with a north facing backyard is on their deck.

Seems like a solid 10 degrees hotter in the summer without that south breeze. Also protects your house and deck from the winter north winds.
busdriver88
AG
htxag09 said:

My parents are on a canal in corpus. Actually down here right now.

Not really the answer to your question, but a big consideration, imo, is the backyard/water facing south or north. You can look down his canal and nobody with a north facing backyard is on their deck.

Seems like a solid 10 degrees hotter in the summer without that south breeze. Also protects your house and deck from the winter north winds.
Good point. Thats playing chess while I was playing checkers.
Ag with kids
AG
I also live on a canal on N Padre Island (Corpus). South facing yard.

It's really nice and quiet. Can walk 20 ft and hop on my boat. I don't even own a trailer.

I WILL say that prices here have gone CRAZY in the past year and a half. My house has increased in value (according to Zillow) by over 50% in that period.

I will also note that you're going to have a hefty bill for it. Island taxes are HIGH. And you have to have Homeowners, Wind/Storm, and Flood insurance policies. Basically, that's about $1300/month for me.

But, all in all, it's worth it to me. You can fish right off your backyard. And you're still only 4-5 min from the beach.

We moved here 4 years ago. We'd intended to retire here (in about 8-10 years) but both got great opportunities to dive in earlier. Best decision I've made in a long time.
YouBet
AG
We have a family home in Rockport (Key Allegro) on canal. I've managed it the last few years so I've been down there a decent amount. Random things I'll add:

• Being on a canal is not all that private at times. You will most likely be looking at the back of someone else's homes and get to watch them live if/when they are in town and vice versa. This may or may not bother you.
  • Stuff falls apart. Quickly. And especially if you are not there full-time.
  • It's otherworldly humid. You need to be prepared for that coming from a dry climate. As such, mosquitos are unbelievable there. Caveat: if you are closer to the bay, like we are, there is typically at least a breeze if not full gale force winds that offset some of the oppressiveness of the humidity. However, once you get off the water...good lawd.
  • There is almost constant noise from home refurbs, new builds, and lawn mowing in Key Allegro, if you are outside. The former could be temporary and winding down as most homes seemed to have turned over from Harvey. But there are still quite a few new builds going up. Can't speak to other hoods. Regardless, this bullet is probably irrelevant by the time you get down there. Just pointing it out because it's been near constant noise for last two years in KA.
  • Most homes are two stories for obvious reasons; not optimal for retirement or long-term if you get sideways on health.
  • Rockport is a cool town and I love going down there. Hidden gem for sure.

That's all negative and I don't mean it to be. It doesn't sound like you are a native water person so just wanted to share some random observations I've had while down there managing property.
Brush Country Ag
AG
We are canal owners also. One aspect that I have not seen on both threads is rentals. My opinion may not be popular with some posters, but when looking for a full time home in various subdivisions on the coast realize that many properties are bought as rental properties, and your neighbors next door may change weekly. This situation was not what we wanted for a full time home. Depending on your preference, this may be a question you would want to pose to your realtor.

Also, when looking at homes on the coast, make sure it is built to hurricane codes. Many of the older homes were not required to meet those standards.
Ag with kids
AG
Brush Country Ag said:

We are canal owners also. One aspect that I have not seen on both threads is rentals. My opinion may not be popular with some posters, but when looking for a full time home in various subdivisions on the coast realize that many properties are bought as rental properties, and your neighbors next door may change weekly. This situation was not what we wanted for a full time home. Depending on your preference, this may be a question you would want to pose to your realtor.

Also, when looking at homes on the coast, make sure it is built to hurricane codes. Many of the older homes were not required to meet those standards.
On the canals on NPI, the actual housing areas (not the places with condos) can't have short term rentals. So, shortest rental term is 30 days.I don't know of that many people that even do that. No one on my canal as far as I know.

But, you're right in that's something to check out if you're looking for a lot or a condo...
Brush Country Ag
AG
Yessir. 30 day rentals is what we do, also. I'm pretty sure Key Allegro in Rockport and Cinnamon Shores in Port A do a lot of renting. Now if we can just keep California from buying up our houses, we will be better off !!
Ag with kids
AG
Brush Country Ag said:

Yessir. 30 day rentals is what we do, also. I'm pretty sure Key Allegro in Rockport and Cinnamon Shores in Port A do a lot of renting. Now if we can just keep California from buying up our houses, we will be better off !!
A few years ago, I had a Canadian as a neighbor. The wife was a psycho c word. They luckily moved.

And the person who bought it was from...California. He seemed cool when I met him. Then I found out his 2 German Shepherds were named Kimber and Ruger...good sign so far. Then he put up a Trump flag for the election.

WHEW!!!! He's a really cool guy so my initial assessment was correct.

Are you on NPI?
Brush Country Ag
AG
No sir. We are in Pelican Cove in Aransas Pass.
busdriver88
AG
These insights are awesome. Thank you to everyone for the advice. It will certainly be different than living in Lubbock.

I notice some of the properties are two story, and some are not. I have been told the one story ones are on lots that are high enough above sea level to be able to be built as a one story.

Hopefully in a four to five years I will be back asking for builder recommendations.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Check with FEMA elevation requirements.. may help with your insurance. Make sure you get an elevation certificate. When you buy your house. Even your A/C compressor is counted in your elevation assessment!

FEMA is your typical government money grab!
YouBet
AG
Brush Country Ag said:

Good one on renting. I meant to include that one.

Yes, in KA there are lot of rentals now. I looked at it not too long ago because we briefly considered putting ours on VRBO or AirBNB and I counted 50-60 homes in KA on one of those platforms. Three of the five homes directly across from us are rentals from what I can tell. Ironically, none of our immediate neighbors homes (on our side of the canal) are rentals. We pretty much seem to be the only ones ever there on our entire street.

Just me and my neighbor's lawn crews and pool boys. Lol.
An L of an Ag
AG
Speaking of Rockport, windy as hell here right now.
drmwvr
AG
An L of an Ag said:

Speaking of Rockport, windy as hell here right now.

Yep…about to fish in a tournament in the morning….should be fun!
GinMan
AG
THE MAIN THING TO CONSIDER WHEN PURCHASING A HOME ON THE TEXAS COAST…buy a home with a backyard that faces EAST. That was my biggest regret. A shaded back porch in the afternoon is important.
We sold our place on the island and now live in the AP/Rockport/Ingleside area. Less congestion and less Googans. We take the ferry to the island…but don't move here it sucks and nobody likes it….

I owned a home on Padre Island for 20 years. Close to the beach and I had a dedicated boat slip on the water. I miss being close to the beach for convenience reasons.

Also. If you're going to live in close proximity to the hurricane prone flood area get an elevated home and a generator and buy a home that has all the fancy hurricane windows and has all the modern hurricane conveniences. I went to Port A after Harvey and the homes that were on stilts and were up to hurricane code and had an LNG generator were unscathed while their neighbors homes were destroyed and filled with saltwater about the height of a washing machine.
The people with elevated homes and generators were living a normal life among the mayhem and devastation and drinking margaritas on their back porch
EclipseAg
AG
YouBet said:

• Being on a canal is not all that private at times. You will most likely be looking at the back of someone else's homes and get to watch them live if/when they are in town and vice versa. This may or may not bother you.

This is a great point.

There is a world of difference in privacy between a beach house and bay house on a canal. Everyone on a canal spends their time looking at the canal -- and each other -- and it can be a little intimidating.

The other point people made about rentals is also a good one. If OP is open to looking outside of Rockport, Pirates Cove in Galveston recently banned short-term rentals. It's a beautiful neighborhood with some gorgeous homes and many full-time owners.
Mark Fairchild
AG
YouBet: Is correct about everything he said. When we moved to Rockport I was CONVINCED that a canal house was the only way to go. Then discovered EVERYTHING YouBet said to be true.

What turned my mind around, follows pretty closely what YouBet said:
- Everything is two story, most (all) with outside stairs, every loaf of bread and gallon of milk has to come up those stairs.
- Boats sitting over salt water corrode at twice the rate they do IN THE WATER!
- You will have CONSTANT party people all summer long, too many canal rentals.
- Most canal houses are SMALL, the downstairs is now mandated to be sacrificed to storm surge.

Think Long and Hard before going this route!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
IslandAg76
AG
Galveston canal owner here. Lot of good info above. Said wife is MD and may work some-UTMB is here, large hospital.
My sub division does not allow short term rentals-this is a big deal.
2:30 hr drive to College Station.
45 min to 1:30 to access anything in "the Big city".

Bolivar is also an option-smaller and complicated by the ferry if working in Galveston. There are passes available to go to front of line.
Buford T. Justice
AG
My in-laws sold their place in Key Allegro back in April.
They had the house for five years, and we loved it, and made some great memories, but the place was a money pit for my in-laws and that is what led them to sell the house. It was on the closed end of a canal and we had some sweet fishing spots.

All that said, I wasn't the one paying the bills and completely understand their decision. And, everything that you said is true. If I ever win the lottery, the first thing that I am going to do, (after all of the wise stuff), is buy that house back.
YouBet
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

My in-laws sold their place in Key Allegro back in April.
They had the house for five years, and we loved it, and made some great memories, but the place was a money pit for my in-laws and that is what led them to sell the house. It was on the closed end of a canal and we had some sweet fishing spots.

All that said, I wasn't the one paying the bills and completely understand their decision. And, everything that you said is true. If I ever win the lottery, the first thing that I am going to do, (after all of the wise stuff), is buy that house back.
Ha!
Buford T. Justice
AG
I love KA and am going to miss it.
busdriver88
AG
I really appreciate all the input. Living on the coast is going to be very different.

Wife and I found a lot that actually has a canal, but the other side of the canal is a small marsh and a bay. Feel like we scored best of both worlds.

Sooooo much to learn about living down here. 2026 cannot come soon enough!!!!
YouBet
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

I feel ya. We are going to end up selling our place as well. I will miss it when we do.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
We have my parent's home on KA and all the above is true. Their house faces south and gets the prevailing breeze meaning it is cooler with fewer mosquitos. Houses across the canal seem darker and more dank under their decks.

Upkeep is real and things deteriorate, but it sure is nice enjoying your coffee on the deck each morning and it is peaceful when not a holiday weekend.

The house is fully finished downstairs and survived Harvey for the most part but is now being eclipsed by new houses 4 feet taller.

We love the island life but the kids are entering high school and it is hard to utilize the house often and keep it up. My parent's health issues are taking a toll as well.

They bought the house 20 years ago and enjoyed it for nearly 20 years. It was a great retirement home for the "active" time of their retirement. It is time to move on soon. If we list it I will post here.
YouBet
AG
Emotional Support Cobra said:

We have my parent's home on KA and all the above is true. Their house faces south and gets the prevailing breeze meaning it is cooler with fewer mosquitos. Houses across the canal seem darker and more dank under their decks.

Upkeep is real and things deteriorate, but it sure is nice enjoying your coffee on the deck each morning and it is peaceful when not a holiday weekend.

The house is fully finished downstairs and survived Harvey for the most part but is now being eclipsed by new houses 4 feet taller.

We love the island life but the kids are entering high school and it is hard to utilize the house often and keep it up. My parent's health issues are taking a toll as well.

They bought the house 20 years ago and enjoyed it for nearly 20 years. It was a great retirement home for the "active" time of their retirement. It is time to move on soon. If we list it I will post here.
Ditto. Our house sits north/south so we get good breeze/winds along the upper deck. Of course, I routinely hear our chairs traveling down the deck to the far end of the railing as well if I don't secure them.

We currently have some cheaper plastic stuff out there because the good stuff disappeared with Harvey and we never replaced it.

The height of some of the new homes being built is off the charts. Three story mansions.
EclipseAg
AG
YouBet said:

Buford T. Justice said:

I feel ya. We are going to end up selling our place as well. I will miss it when we do.
We sold our Galveston beach house four years ago ... missed out on the huge upswing in prices.

Like others have said, our house was a major money pit and even renting it out couldn't stem the tide. We missed out on the huge upswing in rental rates, too.

Our decision boiled down to retirement. Would we retire and live full-time down there? Between the tourists, the expensive coastal maintenance and the stairs, we decided it wasn't ideal. So we sold.

But I miss that little house every day. There was no feeling in the world like unlocking the door on a Friday night and stepping in for a weekend.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Quote:

But I miss that little house every day. There was no feeling in the world like unlocking the door on a Friday night and stepping in for a weekend.

Same!
Ag with kids
AG
Emotional Support Cobra said:

Quote:

Same!
I love coming home from working on the Bluff, changing into shorts and flops and heading out to my back yard and looking out at the canal...

And doing it every day. Island life is good.
YouBet
AG
EclipseAg said:

YouBet said:

Buford T. Justice said:

We sold our Galveston beach house four years ago ... missed out on the huge upswing in prices.

Like others have said, our house was a major money pit and even renting it out couldn't stem the tide. We missed out on the huge upswing in rental rates, too.

Our decision boiled down to retirement. Would we retire and live full-time down there? Between the tourists, the expensive coastal maintenance and the stairs, we decided it wasn't ideal. So we sold.

Agreed. We are going down on June 30 and I always enjoy getting there and getting everything going and settled in. Open some wine or make a marg and then look at the water.
Ag with kids
AG
YouBet said:

EclipseAg said:

YouBet said:

Buford T. Justice said:

Agreed. We are going down on June 30 and I always enjoy getting there and getting everything going and settled in. Open some wine or make a marg and then look at the water.
You're not too far from Rusty Hook Winery in Long Mott (by Port Lavaca). Go get some wine there. It's owned by an Aggie who happens to be my GF's best friend. They were roommates at A&M.

Staff...this was a cheap plug for an Aggie and not an ad...feel free to delete or edit as you feel....
YouBet
AG
Ag with kids said:

YouBet said:

EclipseAg said:

YouBet said:

Buford T. Justice said:

You're not too far from Rusty Hook Winery in Long Mott (by Port Lavaca). Go get some wine there. It's owned by an Aggie who happens to be my GF's best friend. They were roommates at A&M.

Staff...this was a cheap plug for an Aggie and not an ad...feel free to delete or edit as you feel....

Will check that out if we are in the area.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.