Freeze Update for Rockport?

2,140 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ag with kids
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a sinking feeling we lost all of our landscaping two years in a row with this weather. How is it looking down there?
Brush Country Ag
AG
Freeze last night and around 27 in the morning. If you didn't get to protect them, probably history.
YouBet
AG
Brush Country Ag said:

Freeze last night and around 27 in the morning. If you didn't get to protect them, probably history.
Ugh. Gal that watches our place was not able to get out there due to a medical emergency.

I might just have to cut my losses. Thousands of dollars 2 years in a row is not palpable.
Potcake
AG
Are you worried about palms or something else?
Brush Country Ag
AG
Corpus weather is callin for 26 there in morning, but around 30 in Rockport…maybe get by on the more hardy tropicals. We got our hibiscus' covered and our plumerias got moved into garage. Last year was much worse.

Good luck. Hope your damage is minimal.
YouBet
AG
Yeah, I'm worried about the Hibiscus and I have a couple of date palms in pots that probably won't make it. Ripped out a lot of old stuff after last year and put a lot of rock in so if we do lose some stuff it will be more individualized and at least won't look as bad if I have to strip it down to the ground.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Some frost this morning, but my water barrel isn't frozen over..it was yesterday. I'm in Aransas Pass, but should be close to same in RP.
Potcake
AG
We lost two 15' silver dates, two 4' mules, and two 2' silver dates last year. We replaced with two 12' Medjools, two 8' Texas savaks, one 8' Mexican fan, four 2' Pindos, and two 2' Mexican fans. We got down to 19 this time and so far they all look OK. I was able to knock the ice off Thursday AM so we only had a couple of broken fronds. May see some frond damage over the next few days. FTR, we have a Canary Island date and two Pindos that have survived last year and a few teens events. Hope you're all good on yours.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Hibiscus have some black leaves even covered. Think they will come back okay. Fox Tail palms and bottle palms in neighborhood are pretty brown. I lost two 40' Mexican palms last year and have not replanted.
YouBet
AG
Faced time with housekeeper. Didn't lose as much as I thought. Just the hibiscus which still sucks. One of them had gotten huge! I'll cut those back and hope they somehow come back.

Croton survived which is shocking. I guess maybe being close to the house and under overhang saved them. And date palms made it as well.
Ag with kids
AG
YouBet said:

Faced time with housekeeper. Didn't lose as much as I thought. Just the hibiscus which still sucks. One of them had gotten huge! I'll cut those back and hope they somehow come back.

Croton survived which is shocking. I guess maybe being close to the house and under overhang saved them. And date palms made it as well.
I'm on NPI and, while it got below freezing here, we didn't lose anything...wasn't cold enough for long enough like last year.

Last year killed almost everything except the weeds.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.