1st time vacationing in Galveston and need recommendations

6,104 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Potcake
ftworthag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As mentioned above this is our families first time vacationing in Galveston and would appreciate some recommendations like restaurants, sight seeing, nearest grocery store, etc. The house is located at 22118 Kenedy Dr. Looking at the map it looks like our best bet regarding grocery is to hit HEB on the way in and then I assume theres a small grocery nearby for things we forget. Our group consists of a set of grandparents (72), and then 2 young families with kids that are 1yr, 2yr, 4yr. Not interested in deep sea fishing or the like just sight seeing and hanging out at the beach. (Normal vacation is Isle of Palms, SC but some things have come up)

Thanks & Gig'em!
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Kinda hard to make suggestions for a group that ranges in age from 1 to 72 years but here are a few ideas just off the top of my head.

The Rainforest Pyramid and the Aquarium Pyramid, both at Moody Gardens. All of your group should enjoy these but you may chose to omit the aquarium if you've been to other nice ones.

Magic Carpet miniature golf at 90th and Seawall.

Pleasure Pier has amusement park rides and carnival games.

If the kids haven't been to a Rainforest Cafe then that would be a good idea. Food is overpriced but the kids will like the animatronic forest creatures inside the restaurant and the volcano that goes off outside every 20 minutes or so.

Free ferry ride to Port Bolivar and back. Best to park at the ferry landing and walk on unless COVID restrictions prevent that. You can drive on but during the summer the lines to get on can get lengthy. And you will have the same wait when you get to Port Bolivar and make the U-turn to go back to Galveston. If you do drive on hit up Stingaree's restaurant in Crystal Beach on the Bolivar peninsula. Bring a loaf of bread on the ferry for the kids to feed the seagulls while the adults keep a distance to avoid the seagull poop.

Adults might like wondering the Strand District for a few hours. Kids not so much except for La Kings Confectionery where thy can watch candy being made and eat ice cream. Good eats at Rudy & Paco's a couple of blocks away.

For informal seafood, mainly fried, check out Shrimp n' Stuff at 39th and Ave O. Highly recommend the shrimp salad to take back to where you're staying. Hit up Mario's Restaurante on 61st for Italian. The Grotto at the San Luis Hotel for upscale Italian and The Steakhouse at the same hotel. If you're looking for good BBQ in Galveston you're out of luck. Several decent Tex-Mex places.

Schlitterbahn would be great if the kids were older but do not recommend for their age group.

Please ask if you have any questions.

Edit: See highlight
WestGalvestonAggie
That's Sea Isle. You'll be on the west end, and I might know a thing or two about that...

You're going to be reasonably close to the tourist stuff, but away from most of the congestion. There's a small grocery store right there, but it's small, so you probably won't want to buy everything there, but can get most of what you'd need in an emergency. Good for a beer run and they have a decent meat section. There's also a waterfront restaurant in Sea Isle that's good for a casual meal. Nothing fancy, but most people enjoy it. Also a bar downstairs.

The area you are in is a good one, but a little removed from the action. That can be a good thing though.

ftworthag02
AG
Just want to say thank you for the recommendations. I will look them over this weekend when I have some more time and might have some more questions.

Thank you!
Whoop Delecto
AG
ftworthag02
AG
Thanks. We will hit the H-E-B on the way in and then if we need a few things here and there then we can either go to randalls or Kroger.

Do y'all have any higher end restaurants that you can recommend? The younger couples like to go out one night while the grandparents watch the kiddos. I remember as a kid going to gaidos but not sure if it's still good.

Thanks!
Agasaurus Tex
AG
For upscale restaurants consider the following:

Rudy & Paco
Number 13
Grotto at the San Luis hotel
The Steakhouse at the San Luis hotel
Sherns at the Moody Gardens hotel

Also might want to check out the rooftop bar at the Tremont House for before/after dinner drinks.
Whoop Delecto
AG
stevopike
AG
for nicer restaurant, check out watermans
ftworthag02
AG
What about a seafood market/ marina for fresh fish (shrimp) that we can cook at home? Thanks again!
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Katie's Seafood Market
1902 Wharf Rd.
ftworthag02
AG
Ok I looked at their Yelp page. Thanks!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Agasaurus Tex said:

Katie's Seafood Market
1902 Wharf Rd.

The OB is not a big fan of this place. The owner is very anti recreational fishing. Those are his fish, not ours.
WestGalvestonAggie
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Agasaurus Tex said:

Katie's Seafood Market
1902 Wharf Rd.

The OB is not a big fan of this place. The owner is very anti recreational fishing. Those are his fish, not ours.

Great shrimp though. But if you REALLY want to piss them off, do like I do and buy them fresh from the boats that dock right behind the place...
thriller03
AG
Anybody have a good recommendation for a "cook your catch" restaurant on the island? We are going out with a guide this afternoon and wondered what the options are for that type of place. Thanks ahead.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
I've heard that Huli Huli Hut has cooked your catch in the past so you might want to give them a call. Your fishing guide might have some recs.
aggieband 83
AG
+2 on La Kings Confectionnery

You will also be very close to the Pier 21 Theater. It has a short 27 minute movie about the Great Storm of 1900. Very interesting account of what Galvestonians went through during the deadliest hurricane in American history.

More info at www.pier21galveston.com
DTP02
AG
My wife just told me she is surprising me with a quick one-night getaway to Galveston today, but she's leaving dinner to me to figure out because that's my deal.

It's been forever since we've been to Galveston, maybe 10-12 years or so. I see some restaurant recommendations above, but not much detail about the cuisine and what I'm specifically looking for is seafood (not fried, preferably). Not concerned about price or casual/dressy nearly as much as quality.

The only restaurants I even remember from Galveston are Gaido's and Stingaree's over on Bolivar which I believe didn't survive one of the storms several years back.

Also, what's the best oyster bar for lunch?

Any brunch recommendations for Sunday?

Thanks for any help.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Do NOT take 45 to Galveston. See Major Freeway Closure topic on the Houston forum. After reading that you might want to reschedule for a different weekend.
DTP02
AG
Thanks for the heads up. And apparently it's Kappa weekend as well. Not good timing for us, but my wife is rarely spontaneous so I guess we're going to see this thru. It'll make for some good stories at least!

I'm guessing I'll probably save some time from CS by going thru Alvin and hitting 45 closer to Bayou Vista.
Whoop Delecto
AG
txislandag86
For brunch the Sunflower Bakery at 14th and Church or Riondo's Ristorante which is on the Strand.
Southlake
Well, we are heading Galveston next Monday - Friday.

Just read the above posts and wonder if anybody has any updated info?

Thsnks
Owlagdad
If you are down on West End towards Pointe West, San Luis pass, try Nates. Hole in the wall, but great food!! They have a website.
EclipseAg
AG
Owlagdad said:

If you are down on West End towards Pointe West, San Luis pass, try Nates. Hole in the wall, but great food!! They have a website.
We always liked Nate's.

I haven't been in a couple of years, but we used to go to Waterman's (on the bay on the West End) for more expensive meals. It went downhill a bit after reopening, but I understand that it's back to being good. You can't beat the setting.

I have to put in a plug for the Original Mexican Restaurant and Shrimp 'n Stuff on the East End. Two of our favorites.

ETA: I always stop in at Galveston Island Brewing on Stewart Road when I'm down there. They've just upgraded their facility and improved the outside seating area. Worth a visit if you like local beers.
Potcake
AG
Benno's has always been one of our favorites, since we were at A&M Galveston in the 90's.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.