Looking for information on Rockport Schools

2,515 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by waltonloads11
mark_spivey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy Ags,

I'm considering moving the family to Rockport. I have three daughters ages 12, 10, and 6. I have read what is provided on the district web sites. Can anyone with any experience with the district provide any insight please? Thank you very much.

Mark 96'
Buford T. Justice
AG
Kudos to you sir!
My in-laws have a place in Key Allegro, and we typically visit Rockport five or so times per year. Each time that we visit, I begin to daydream about moving down there and enjoying a slower paced life.
mark_spivey
Thanks Buford! I grew up on the outer banks of N.C. I'm sure the schools back where I'm from were horrible by today's standards. I made it through HS with little to no effort, went one year JUCO and transferred into A&M. Fell in love with Texas obviously and the Rockport area reminds me of the outer banks. It was an awesome place to grow up. I just don't want to put my girls in a difficult situation academically. They're well rounded so my belief is they can excel and blossom wherever they are. I was thinking maybe there may be some other Aggie parents on the board who have children who attended school there or even maybe work in the district.
Brush Country Ag
AG
From what I've heard, the schools there are pretty good. I think they just fired their superintendent, but don't know the details. I will say that in that particular area, they are probably the best with Port Aransas coming in a close second. Gregory-Portland is larger and probably fair. Aransas Pass and Ingleside are pretty rough.
Boomtown Johnson
AG
SWCBonfire
AG
What specifically are you asking? Wife is asking what your specific questions are: GT, curriculum, virtual learning?? Have 12 & 10 y/o's in ACISD.

Interim superintendent is a local and a former principal at Fulton Learning Center. Not sure if she will remain superintendent but my daughter loved her as a principal.
mark_spivey
Thank you Boomtown and SWC. My wife and I are looking for an insiders perspective on the overall experience of the schools/community there. Were you and/or your kids happy in the environment created in the schools/community? How would you rate the schools overall on a scale of 1 to 10? My girls are pretty smart and make good grades and are very social. I want to be sure that they will the be challenged and given an opportunity to grow. Do you and/or your kids feel it is a safe learning environment? Do you feel that the district supports their sports teams and other extra curricular activities i.e. clubs, organizations? How was/are you and your kids social lives? I see others concerned about the school support from tax payer base who are mostly vacationers; do you feel there is any merit to that concern? If there is anything good or bad that you can share all thoughts would be appreciated. What ever is important to you? One specific question is why is the Fulton Learning Center is not called and Elementary School; is there any reason for that? Again, we just want to collect as much information as we can. I trust the Aggie community more than any other I know so I hoped we could get some honest reviews/perspectives here. Thank you in advance!!
Boomtown Johnson
AG
mark_spivey
Great stuff Boomtown. I'm a small town dude too. Thought I wanted the big city living and did for almost 25 years; moved to Houston after college graduation. It's been fun but I want to raise my girls surrounded by nature and in a smaller community. Thank you very much for taking the time to answer the questions for us.
YouBet
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

Kudos to you sir!
My in-laws have a place in Key Allegro, and we typically visit Rockport five or so times per year. Each time that we visit, I begin to daydream about moving down there and enjoying a slower paced life.
As do mine. We are here right now and entire time we've been here my wife and I are scheming how we can move here. Actually a path for us to do that and seriously considering it.
Aggie87
AG
Dat Nguyen went to RFHS.
mark_spivey
SWC - I'm definitely interested in hearing your opinions as a parent with similarly aged children in the district/area if you have time!! Thank you!
waltonloads11
AG
Graduated there. Have tons of family who graduated there as well. Still have newer generation family members there now. It's good. Not the best, not the worst.

I would rank Rockport 3rd compared to other school districts not in Corpus Christi.

1. Port A, 2. Gregory Portland, 3. Rockport
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.