Thoughts on Texas City?

2,786 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ComfortAg
ComfortAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Long story short, my daughter (A&M class of 2020) was admitted to UTMB Nursing School in Galveston, and is contemplating renting an apartment in Texas City and commuting the 14 miles to Texas City. I've never been through Texas City, so do any of you have any thoughts on this idea? TIA
Agasaurus Tex
AG
I've lived in Texas City over 40 years. There are several new apartment complexes that have gone up in the area Near I45 and FM 1764. Easy access to I45 and about 25 minutes to downtown Galveston, depending on traffic. Apartments near the bay would add about 15 minutes to the commute and I'm not aware of any newer ones in that area. Be glad to answer any other questions you may have.
Silvy
AG
Texas City is a pretty industrial town and there's not jack around there to do, especially for a recent grad. It's a bit rougher, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's unsafe.

She'd likely be much more happy with staying on the island. There are cheap garage apartments all over the place.
ComfortAg
AG
Thank you for the replies. She's a very serious student, and I'm not sure she'll have much time for recreation in nursing school. Apparently a lot of nursing students rent apartments in Texas City and commute. Would not be my first choice, but I lean toward the sitting on the beach with a cold one crowd.
WestGalvestonAggie

Nothing against Texas City, and I'm obviously biased, but being a student while living in Galveston sounds awesome to me. The thing about Galveston though is that it either calls to you or it doesn't. She might hate it, some people do, in which case she might be happier living somewhere else. If she's not into the culture of living on or near the water, it won't be nearly as appealing. If she's not into the bars, restaurants, or outdoors stuff it won't have nearly the same appeal as it would for someone who does. If she does like those things though, Galveston would be an incredible place to live for school.
ComfortAg
AG
She likes Galveston. It's just a matter of minimizing her rent and expenses.
Krazykat
AG
I'd go further up 45 to Dickinson or League City. Maybe even Hitchcock or Santa Fe on 6.
RCR06
AG
Worked in Texas city for a little over 2 years. Not a bad place to live. Economy is based around the refineries and chemical plants. Blue collar working town.
Whoop Delecto
AG
anaggieshusband
She needs to stay out near 45, and do her shopping in League City.
IMO
murphyag
AG
One of my nieces was in the nursing program and she lived on the island. Initially, she had same thought as your daughter about commuting. But, in the end she said she was happy she ended up living in Galveston. She's not the party type, but she was happy living there. She said it also made it much easier in regards to school- she had some really long days and she said commuting would have cut into her study time after classs/labs/etc.
Post removed:
by user
ComfortAg
AG
I would like to thank everyone for their input. My daughter has found a couple of potential roommates to share an apartment and decided to stay on the island, so now I'll have an excuse to visit Galveston on weekends and enjoy some seafood (will be even better if the rona subsides). Thanks again, and gig'em.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.