Corpus area dining and activity options

4,821 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aggie87
DTP02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am heading out on an impromptu trip to Corpus with the family later today. Still figuring out lodging and the only things we really have planned are the Lexington and Padre National Seashore on Saturday. I have done Port A numerous times but not familiar with Corpus.

I'm mostly looking for local Intel on restaurants. We don't like to do chains when we travel and would love to have some fresh off the boat seafood. Taste is more important than atmosphere, but we aren't planning to bring anything dressier than shorts and collared shirts so that would rule out some finer dining options. Probably looking to stay closer to the southern coast, to kind of split the difference between the Lexington and the Padre National seashore, but willing to drive for a hidden gem of a restaurant.

Any suggestions for dining, lodging, activities would be appreciated.
BO297
Luckily, you can wear shorts and flip flops almost anywhere in corpus, especially this time of year. Restaurants might depend on where you are staying. If you want seafood and you are staying on corpus, I would go to the yardarm. It is on ocean drive and reasonably priced. Not cheap, but not break the bank. The fish papalote is my favorite. Mama Mia's downtown is a good Italian place with fish options. It is a bit pricey and only takes cash, but good. If you are on the island, try Dragonfly.
Potcake
AG
http://texags.com/forums/44/topics/2624934
You can't go wrong with Costa Sur.
lazuras_dc
AG
Yardarm is good but overpriced (IMO) seafood. Make a reservation.
Costa Sur has great ceviche and poke
Rock N Roll Sushi, and Blacksheep Bistro on the island are my favorite.
Niko's for a casual steakhouse

DTP02
AG
Thanks for the recommendations, Ags. They all look like they would have been great options. The black sheep bistro, Rock and Roll Sushi (I ate at a Rock and Roll Sushi in La Jolla, I wonder if there is a connection?) and the Dragonfly were a couple mentioned when I asked some of the locals on Saturday.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to use any of these recommendations. We got in later on Friday than planned, and I had my wife drop me off on the way to get in line at Doc's before checking in, since it was right on the way to our hotel on the island, and we wanted to be able to eat right away. On Saturday night, we got to the Lexington later than planned and were famished (read: the kids were famished and hitting a wall after a lot of activity that day) after a great beach day at Malaquite, so we settled on Water Street since it was close and we could get in immediately. Water Street ended up working out well since we could get oysters, fresh fish, and sushi all at the same place.

I am filing these away for next trip. I am definitely interest in the Yardarm after looking at their menu.

Overall, it was a great trip, and both of our dinners were more than fine, although Doc's was nothing special it was a good beach-town atmosphere. The E Coli scare was nothing more than a minor inconvenience and didn't really seem to hamper the local restaurants much either from what I could tell.
padreislandagfan
I NEVER recommend Docs to our guests. You did well going to water street. Next trip make sure you go to dragonfly, you won't be disappointed. For a meal after the beach, go grab a burger at Padre Island Burger Company. They have AWESOME burgers and a real island vibe. Hope you enjoyed your visit and I'm glad you are planning to return.
Pro Sandy
AG
I always prefer Docs over Water St when in Corpitos
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I know it's a dive. But if you are on North Beach Pier 99 isn't bad. I know...I know...fried, fried, fried. But they do it well. And on weekends in the summer they generally have music.

I really like going over there in the winter when it is cold and eating inside. Their chowder is really good.

OP: Railroad Statuon is a good alternative to Water Street downtown. Next time you are on the island, do Snoopy's instead of Doc's. Doc's is just Sysco truck seafood.
Sea Pony 07
AG
Personally I think beamer's has better burgers and really good handmade milkshakes.
Aggie87
AG
You mean "had". Beamer's has been closed for over a year now.
Sea Pony 07
AG
Did not know that
lazuras_dc
AG
For Burgers and Milkshake- hamlin pharmacy is great.

Also The Post just opened - gastropub with prohibition era style drinks and a great whiskey menu.
Punked Shank
AG
quote:
http://texags.com/forums/44/topics/2624934
You can't go wrong with Costa Sur.

Went to high school with these young owners and pretty much the entire kitchen staff.

Great restaurant and glad to see positive feedback
ramirez78
Catfish Charlie's is the best fish in town. Priced good at lunchtime.
mazzag
AG
Any opinions on Saltwater Grill? Thinking of checking it out while we're there.
lazuras_dc
AG
Food is good, but it isnt going to be anything fancy. Id try docs or snoopys , at least they have a view !
Aggie87
AG
quote:
Any opinions on Saltwater Grill? Thinking of checking it out while we're there.

We've tried it twice - once when it first opened and again 6-8 months later. Didn't impress us either time. The service wasn't very good either.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.