Current cost to build (ballpark estimate)

4,522 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by wilhunting
ElephantRider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
(Cross-posted from the Real Estate board, wondering if anyone here has any insight.)

Anyone have an idea of what the current range for cost to build is? We are looking at building on a few acres near Tyler in the next few years, just trying to get an idea for planning purposes. Most likely 2500-3000 sf, nice finishes but not luxury by any means.

Also exploring building a barndo, but a friend of mine that just had a house built said that they're not all that much cheaper anymore unless you're doing it yourself. Is that true?
PeekingDuck
AG
210-240/sqft seems like a pretty common range right now for 'nice'.
Dro07
AG
PeekingDuck said:

Second this. It will probably leveled out for the next few year unless we have a housing crash again. I don't see construction cost coming down significantly.
AGC
AG
Dro07 said:

PeekingDuck said:

Second this. It will probably leveled out for the next few year unless we have a housing crash again. I don't see construction cost coming down significantly.

Probably fair. It has come down a bit and the cost is now closer to where it was two years ago than last year. First sign of relief for builders in a while.
ElephantRider
AG
Thanks for the responses. Just out of curiosity, any builders y'all recommend? Property will most likely be Lindale area.
Txgunrnnr
AG
ElephantRider said:

Thanks for the responses. Just out of curiosity, any builders y'all recommend? Property will most likely be Lindale area.
James Wilson Custom Homes, class of '89.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
Aggiehunter34
S
Curtis Clader with Clader Homes built mine and he did an amazing job. He is an Aggie as well.
wbt5845
AG
ElephantRider
AG
wbt5845 said:

Link appears to be broken
suprafly03
AG
We just built. We were hoping to build at $200/sqft.

We ended up at $250/sqft.

We had a good experience with our builder most importantly everything was delivered on time, and that is worth a lot to me.

Let me know if you want more info.
chuckenvy
I second Curtis Clader with Clader homes.
AgEngineer72
AG
suprafly03 said:

We just built. We were hoping to build at $200/sqft.

We ended up at $250/sqft.

We had a good experience with our builder most importantly everything was delivered on time, and that is worth a lot to me.

Let me know if you want more info.

I would appreciate more information- who was your builder? I'm also in the Lindale area and planning to build. Thanks
wbt5845
AG
test
wilhunting
AG
$250 a foot gets you a pretty vanilla home but again it all depends on the finish out. I'm in Hideaway and focus on the higher end custom. $350 a foot is a good starting point.
http://linkedin.com/in/chadjhudson
AGC
AG
wilhunting said:

$250 a foot gets you a pretty vanilla home but again it all depends on the finish out. I'm in Hideaway and focus on the higher end custom. $350 a foot is a good starting point.

I'd wager good money suprafly didn't get a vanilla home.

Not to demean the post or the data point to be sure but I'd take him at his word.
ElephantRider
AG
wilhunting said:

I guess I'll have to go vanilla if $350 is the starting point for builders like yourself
Dro07
AG
350 A sf?! You building a school?
wilhunting
AG
No tract or volume builds but if you can be all in at $250 AF and get exactly what you want then that's wonderful. Here's an example of $371 AF build but that includes dirt, build fee, boat dock, landscape architect and final landscape. Back those items out and total cost of build was roughly $285 AF.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjvO0OGLaNF/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

wilhunting
AG
$400 AF all in on this one…

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClmGo31AmDv/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.