Brisket Love - Lindale

3,012 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by wilhunting
rooftop18403
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When the East Texas Board gets over to Lindale stop by the new Brisket Love restaurant on 849 and report back. I just got back from open day lunch and felt it was good barbecue, good sides and great setting/ venue.
rooftop18403
BMach
AG
That sausage looks damn good
AggieGunslinger
AG
Isn't this owned by a poster on here?
rooftop18403
https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/brisket-love-barbecue-icehouse-2019/

Good write up on Brisket Love
Aggie09!
AG
I'd write love letters to that German potato salad.
Aggiebrewer
AG
write up:

Quote:

Brisket Love Barbecue and Icehouse is just over a mile off Interstate 20, yet it feels secluded in the woods of East Texas. Owners Craig and Lee Ann Wood chose the location, a former catfish house, because it sits between two Smith County communities from which to draw business. One is Hideaway, and the other is Lindale, where Craig is a fifth-generation resident. He previously ran a lawn care company for 24 years, but decided to jump into the barbecue business in a big way earlier this year.

Brisket Love's building is enormous. It's a barbecue joint, a bar, and a live music venue. There's even a beer garden out back. Wood books live acts every weekend and a few during the week as well, but the barbecue is served Tuesday through Sunday. He knows the place is massive, especially for a first restaurant venture. "I kinda do everything opposite," he joked, adding, "I'm working on a food truck now."

On a Tuesday at opening time, the place was empty, but a short line had formed by the time I left at noon. Busy or not, the service was attentive, and two women working the cutting block showed an extra level of care to the meat. Slices of brisket are taken from the block and wrapped in foil before they go on the tray. This kept the brisket moist until I got to the table. A vat of melted butter and chicken stock stays warm on the hot line, and they asked if I'd like my smoked turkey slices dipped in it before being plated. Of course I would.
A generously-portioned four-meat plate with two sides was just $21, and there wasn't a dud on the tray. The pork ribs had a brown sugar sweetness, perfect tenderness, and were incredibly juicy. The turkey didn't need the butter, but it also didn't hurt. Wood makes two kinds of sausage, a jalapeo and a black pepper version. I had the latter, which was a well-made link. Wood said he's still trying to perfect the process. "I'd never done that before we opened the restaurant," he said of the sausage-making.

He's got much more experience with brisket. "I've cooked barbecue in my backyard for what seems like all my life. Even before high school, I started dabbling," he told me. It's evident in the Prime grade beef. A great bark with just a whiff of black pepper surrounded each slice. The fat on the edge of the lean brisket was buttery soft, and every slice was incredibly moist. That foil wrap after slicing did the trick. The restaurant's namesake cut is indeed treated with love.

Maverick and Goose are on display on a flat-screen monitor visible from the ordering line. They're a pair of 1,000-gallon offset smokers built by East Texas Smokers. Wood says they're the same design as those in Truth Barbecue's pit room in Houston. Wood has some help running the pits from his son, Hunter Wood, and Bailey McWhorter. She worked at Joseph's Riverport Bar-B-Cue and Lockhart Smokehouse previously and is responsible for developing specials like the Dr Pepper burnt ends and the brisket cheesesteak. The latter is a clever way to use leftover brisket. It's sliced thin and added to sauted peppers and onions before being topped with queso. It's one of the many sandwich specials they offer throughout the week at Brisket Love.

AggieGunslinger
AG
Darn shame they don't cater.
BMOC86
Best music scene in Lindale
wilhunting
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.