First time home buyer - Tyler

3,756 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Redstone
J_Landes89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy,

Potentially setting my roots down in Tyler this year, next at latest.

I have had some meetings with realtors about $$, the search for homes, what to expect, lenders recommended etc.

Any words of wisdom or some "don't ever do this, or always do this" that you might help me avoid or make sure gets done?

Single, no dependents, will have a roomate or two for a bit to start, no student loans, but minimal up front capital at this moment.

Appreciate any and all advice!

Posting here and the Real Estate board.
RockOn
I've been in your situation very recently. Single, no kids, and now on my 2nd home in Tyler. Purchased first at 27 and second at 32.

My thoughts gathered from my brief experience:
1. In your situation, only buy if you are for sure going to be in that house for 5 years, preferably 7 if you have less than a 20% down payment.
2. Buy what someone else will want to buy from you. This means a standard floor plan of 3/2, etc. Don't buy the 2/1 or whatever unless it's a steep discount.
3. Make sure you understand what elementary school you fall under. This seems to be one of the biggest factors in demand in Tyler. (No imperical evidence, just casual observation).
4. Really consider the costs of home ownership after the actual purchase. Do you enjoy yard maintenance? Can you afford a yard guy if you don't? Do you really want to budget for maintenance? My time is limited, and sometimes feel home ownership is not worth the time it takes. Renting frees up time, but has other drawbacks to weigh.
5. Try to amortize it over 15 years. With rooms rented you should be able to swing that (even if your loan is set up 30 years, add that extra principal to effect 15 years).
6. Buy close to your work if that makes sense.
7. Avoid foundation issues or signs of termites
AsburyAg
AG
Before you buy and get tied down for a while, move to town first and rent the first year. If you know you are going to be here a while, there is no hurry. Houses are always for sale.
Figure out the "patterns" you follow and live around.
Get to know the area. (Schools, shopping, churches, etc.)
Then buy.
Dro07
AG
What brings ya to town?
Dumpster Fire
^
^
^
Red alert. Red alert. Don't engage if you like your liver.
J_Landes89
AG
I'll add to disclaimer.

Born and raised here in Tyler, and have been back here for right at a year. Just getting the itch to find my own place!
Dro07
AG
Look bro don't give the guy false information... Plus god gave us two livers for a reason, one to punish with alcohol and the other for debauchery.
Dumpster Fire
Bruh
Owlagdad
If you are single, there are pockets of great housing all over Tyler and suburbs that hold their value. No worries about schools.
If you are going to move up later, then you are wide open. It is sellers market right now though.
By the way, I am Realtor, but low pressure and not big on getting you something you do not need or pulling trigger too soon. I have network of outstanding, but reasonable repair guys. Aggie Son in law is lender that shops loans for best deal-- I have my loan through them. Let us know if we can help-- I know you may have Realtor, but SIL can help with loan.
Post removed:
by user
RockOn
Nobody likes their home town, it's understandable. I don't like mine either.
Post removed:
by user
Wildman15
AG
Buy in south Tyler
Post removed:
by user
Redstone
AG
My mom just sold a house very close to Green Acres SBC.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.