Tyler Tennis & Swim coming down

4,810 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Murphag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My brother sent me pics of the destruction last night. The clubhouse was the first thing to go, they just folded it up. Man, this really hurts. My Dad was one of the men who started "the Club" as we called it and he was very proud of that. There was NO place for the middle class to play tennis so he and others that you may know got together and came up with it. You had to be rich and be in WB otherwise. They sure mismanaged this. Kickbacks from TISD any?
AGC
AG
Are you not a fan of the new location? What are we upset about here?
Murphag
Oh, just my childhood. For one thing, Bill Scanlon played on those courts. He beat Borg.
Murphag
Steve Denton, the Aggie tennis coach, played there every year also. Denton once drank too much water between matches. The pro, Morey Lewis, who had once beaten Bill Tilden among many, warned him not to drink too much. Sure enough, he cramped up in his next match and had to quit Morey never let him live it down! There is a lot of history out there!
Josepi
AG
Quote:

Kickbacks from TISD any?
Why this comment? TISD actually saved taxpayers a lot of money on this deal. They bought the Tennis and Swim property and are going to sell their loop front property. Guess which one is a lot more valuable? Tennis and Swim wasn't forced to sell, and they are building a new facility. I get not being happy that they are closing a place that is obviously near and dear to you, but accusing TISD of illegal activity isn't cool unless you have evidence.
Murphag
You're probably right. From what I've been told by ppl that would know, it was being managed very poorly and the Board of Directors was told for years it was being managed badly and was asked to do something about it and they just ignored them. There were ppl who "defected" to Hollytree after the BOD would not listen to them. And the courts were left to decay without any maintenance for years. A major zone tournament was held there for decades until the USTA withdrew it once they saw the conditions. Strange they would let them decay and, poof, suddenly the ISD wants it. Jus' sayin'
suprafly03
AG
The new facility is really nice.

I know nothing about tennis courts (I'm fat), but they look really nice too.

Did they finally get the pool opened?
tx.agg.96
AG
Quote:

and are going to sell their loop front property.
Unfortunately that's not in the final design. There was talk of this with a full rebuild, the school was going to move more to the south. However, in an effort to keep the costs down there are portions of the old school that will be updated and remodeled so the school will move slightly south but will have to remain in the same general area. The loop frontage will be athletic fields.
The easternmost tennis courts at tennis and swim will be staying for now. They will be in use by the tennis team. The current demo will make way for Red Raider Drive to go all the way to Shiloh.
I cant speak to any mismanagement of Tennis and Swim but that purchase will be great for the new REL.

Stive
AG
So it was mismanaged so badly that they now have a facility that's much larger, much nicer, and more up to date than the old one which had become a dump (mostly due to age)? The new location is also going to be in a prime spot for the next 20-30 years (if not longer). I realize the sentimental aspects of your post, but the rest of it seems pretty poorly thought out.

And yes the pool finally opened on Saturday after some pretty nasty contractor nightmares.
Murphag
Stive, I get your point and, yes, it is mostly sentiment. I'm not upset about anything. And the new facility looks nice,
I guess, bottom line, the TTSC was mismanaged to the point that it had to be sold and "saved" by Drysdale. The new facility is a great coincidental happy ending. Tennis courts don't go bad because of age, they get resurfaced, which was not being done for some reason. Maybe membership declined to where there wasn't money. There were plenty of people that told the BOD for years that something had to be done and they were largely ignored.

I will be playing a tournament there in August and can't wait to see it!

Dro07
AG
Ya finally opened this past weekend but still missing the accessible lifts and the slides but it's open. Holly tree will be soon to follow I think to update their facilities to keep up with the Jones
Post removed:
by user
Stive
AG
The new place?
RockOn
The new tennis and swim is so awesome I couldn't imagine having any nostalgia to the old place.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

Glad I am not in tyler. Grew up there buy that place is god awful now.

Sorry. My opinion only

I grew up in Tyler and highly doubt I ever move back, but what are you talking about?
Dumpster Fire
Aggie09Derek said:

Aggiebrewer said:

Glad I am not in tyler. Grew up there buy that place is god awful now.

Sorry. My opinion only

I grew up in Tyler and highly doubt I ever move back, but what are you talking about?

x2
Murphag
RockOn said:

The new tennis and swim is so awesome I couldn't imagine having any nostalgia to the old place.
Well, I'm glad your life is so awesome that you can't imagine having any memories about good times with your parents or friends!
That way, when they mow down the new place in 30 years, you won't even think about it
Dro07
AG
Stive said:

The new place?
I am assuming he is talking about Tyler in general.
Josepi
AG
This thread really delivers
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Dro07
AG
Damn you old!

Jk Best Buy was the edge of town when we moved to Tyler. I couldn't imagine the edge of town being the mall.
Stive
AG
Academy for me.
AGC
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

As for my opinion on tyler...it's too big now. The traffic is horrible & the street& lights layout is just uber frustrating to me. When I lived there town ended around the Broadway post office. I remember when they broke ground for the mall & people were saying 'why they building it so far out there'. It's not the town I grew up in & loved. Sorry if my opinion offends those of you that choose to live there now. I came back regularly for ElCharro but now that's gone too. (I know, but the Ridge one isn't quite the same to me)

How did you feel when the town got its first stoplight?
Post removed:
by user
jickyjack1
Aggiebrewer said:

As for my opinion on tyler...it's too big now. The traffic is horrible & the street& lights layout is just uber frustrating to me. When I lived there town ended around the Broadway post office. I remember when they broke ground for the mall & people were saying 'why they building it so far out there'. It's not the town I grew up in & loved. Sorry if my opinion offends those of you that choose to live there now. I came back regularly for ElCharro but now that's gone too. (I know, but the Ridge one isn't quite the same to me)

If you remember when B'way ended at Rose Hill, you have been on the old rock a while. 'Afraid I do, too.

I can say, as far as Tyler is concerned, I am able to sympathize with those who say "I'll never go back again, etc.", because I said it, too. And, certainly, many won't. But Bob Wills was on to something with Time Changes Everything.

You couldn't dynamite me out, now and for many years past.

Everyone should put down on a little home and on a Cadillac to go in the driveway; that's the way to be hap-hap-happy.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
Sima Nickolik
I think most people shared ur opinion.
Blast from the past for sure.
Harry Dunne
http://www.genlookups.com/tx/webbbs_config.pl/read/2160
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.