That weird city in East Texas

56,493 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Bill Bigfoot
jickyjack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AsburyAg said:

Reminds me of the time many years ago when I was a freshman and hanging out in a friend's dorm room. Another friend of hers stops by. In the conversation my friend says, "AsburyAg, you're from somewhere in East Texas, aren't you? My other friend here is, too."

Me: O really? Where are you from?
Her: Athens. You?
Me: Henderson.
Her (irritatingly): Oh.
Me: Why do you say it like that?
Her: Henderson. That's where all the rich snobs live.
Me (Not that I felt this way, but for once in my life, I was equipped with a good comeback): That's all right honey. We figure the only thing that lives in Athens is poor white trash anyway.

Needless to say, our conversation pretty much ended after that.

To further confuse things, Athens is the county seat of Henderson County.

Both Henderson and Athens have money in them.

I've posted this before so won't belabor it, but three little boys grew up contemporaries in Athens who each, in natural resource-related fields, attained world-class wealth: Sid Richardson, Clint Murchison and Wofford Cain (remember Cain Hall?).
Reginald Cousins
S
Shelton98 said:

Reginald Cousins said:

YouBet said:

Kilgore on this list doesn't make sense. It has a popular junior college and a relatively significant past in comparison to everyone else mentioned. And is essentially a suburb of Longview at this point.

I would agree with Gilmer. Growing up in Longview that was always the town we categorized this way.
Agree. Kilgore is pretty diverse and normalized. But then again I've been here all my life.

I've been in Kilgore for about 15 years..... it's by far the best place I've ever lived... and I've been around a little.
It is kind of pleasant. I've been here 32 years.

What's your age if you don't mind me asking?
Shelton98
AG
I'm 41... and I don't really live in Kilgore proper.... I'm on Lake Cherokee. I do have 3 kids that go to school in Kilgore, wife works there, in-laws have worked for KISD since 1995.
Reginald Cousins
S
Shelton98 said:

I'm 41... and I don't really live in Kilgore proper.... I'm on Lake Cherokee. I do have 3 kids that go to school in Kilgore, wife works there, in-laws have worked for KISD since 1995.
Probably know the in-laws then, as I was a 13 year senior.

Nice out there on the lake. Congrats on a successful career so far.
Shelton98
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

Shelton98 said:

The in-laws are Lopers..... came over from Louisiana with Vallery.
Reginald Cousins
S
Shelton98 said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Shelton98 said:

The in-laws are Lopers..... came over from Louisiana with Vallery.
Had LL in school. Was about 5 years younger than his son.

Now see his grandkid, MS all the time... He's good friends with my neighbor. I try and teach them some things about the world since I'm not completely old to them yet... wait... is MS your son?
Shelton98
AG
Yep.
Reginald Cousins
S
Shelton98 said:

Yep.
Well, this took a strange turn...

...good kid you've got there. I'm in that weird place with them that I'm older but not too old - they still ask advice from me and I try to steer them right - friend but not a buddy. Only see them on weekends at his friend's dad's if they're around. Really good group of kids. As a matter of fact I did his friend's taxes for him a couple of weeks ago.

If you ever need anything, let me know.
Shelton98
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

Shelton98 said:

Yep.
Well, this took a strange turn...

...good kid you've got there. I'm in that weird place with them that I'm older but not too old - they still ask advice from me and I try to steer them right - friend but not a buddy. Only see them on weekends at his friend's dad's if they're around. Really good group of kids. As a matter of fact I did his friend's taxes for him a couple of weeks ago.

If you ever need anything, let me know.

Small world ain't it.
Reginald Cousins
S
That it is!
Reginald Cousins
S
I'm actually waiting to apply where you are... alas, it hasn't opened up in a while.
Post removed:
by user
Tripod17
Can't believe no one has mentioned Grand Saline. Just as much meth/shine as Gilmer with a very umm..checkered cultural past.
AggieGunslinger
AG
The fact that everyone knows everyone in Kilgore is probably moving Kilgore up the list.

Also, I have a house in Royal Oaks off 42 a d my cousin teaches at KISD. I like it over there.
Reginald Cousins
OCEN99
AG
jsdaltxag said:

North of Lufkin, there is an area known as "Allen Town". Everyone that lives there is related to each other if that tells you anything.
I was gonna nominate Central & Redland, but that averages them out.
JD Shellnut
AG
OCEN99 said:

jsdaltxag said:

North of Lufkin, there is an area known as "Allen Town". Everyone that lives there is related to each other if that tells you anything.
I was gonna nominate Central & Redland, but that averages them out.

Rivercrest!
Stive
AG
The school south of Paris? That's not a town.

Or is there another Rivercrest down south?
JD Shellnut
AG
Angelina County. That's why I added it when Allen town, central, and Redland were mentioned.
Stive
AG
Seemed like it was in reference to that but wanted to make sure.

The Rivercrest school area up north of Mt Pleasant could probably qualify as a weird town/area if it were and actual town.
saginawboozer
Talco
Stive
AG
saginawboozer said:

Talco

Absolutely
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
one of the stranger things about east texas to me is, even having grown up there and still spending a lot of time there, someone can mention the name of a town and my response is "where the hell is that?"...and it's within a relatively small circumference from where i'm from. you can hide a lot behind the pine curtain.
gigemhilo
AG
Stive said:

saginawboozer said:

Talco

Absolutely

better yet - SUGARHILL

haha
VanZandt92
I'll take Alba Golden until I think of some other place.
VanZandt92
Tripod17 said:

Can't believe no one has mentioned Grand Saline. Just as much meth/shine as Gilmer with a very umm..checkered cultural past.

Grand Saline is up there.
RockOn
I grew up in Paris and the urban legend in the area was that half of Rivercrest had the AIDS.
Stive
AG
This is as you come into Pritchett from the south headed towards Gilmer from Big Sandy.

magnumtmp
AG
Stive said:

This is as you come into Princeton from the south headed towards Gilmer from Big Sandy.

Autocorrecting from Pritchett to Princeton is the mother of all Freudian Slips.
Stive
AG
Gotta admit. I had Princeton in my head.

I used to drive from McKinney to Mt Pleasant all the time and hit Farmersville and Princeton on my way through.

Auto correct has screwed me many times but this one wasn't her fault.
magnumtmp
AG
Well, that's actually disappointing.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Isnt Princeton where the Guns Donuts and Archery store is or is that Farmersville.

380 has some great signs in general, thr best being Mable Peabodys hair salon, night club and chainsaw repair in Denton.
Bill Bigfoot
AG
Clarksville is the only place I know of that Wal-Mart closed its doors because it was getting stolen from too much.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Bill Bigfoot said:

Clarksville is the only place I know of that Wal-Mart closed its doors because it was getting stolen from too much.
Cville born and raised here! Hearne is the only other that I know of. But, yes, as you come into town on Highway 82 from the west, you'll see two, count'em, two empty former Wal-Mart buildings! And, most of that theft was internal. Clarksville did have one of the last Piggly Wiggly stores in Texas but another store bought them out.

I do like to tell people that, for me growing up, only in Texas did you go through Detroit and Reno on the road to Paris.

When I was in high school, there was a rash of major crimes in Clarksville. Jenny Weeks, 14YO runaway, was raped and beaten to death and left in a burned out house in Clarksville. I was friends with Reggie Reeves, who was eventually executed for the crime. He was an incredibly gifted athlete that (obviously) took a very dark turn. His cohort, Ralph Brown, is still in prison.

Not long after, Ms. Martha Lennox was murdered in her home. The Lennox family was old money in Red River County. Miss Lennox never married and lived in a huge house right behind the aforementioned Piggly Wiggly. A group of guys broke into her home thinking she must have a large amount of money there (she didn't) and shot her. They were arrested on I-30 near Dallas in her stolen car. Willie Poindexter was later executed for his part.

I also remember in about 1990 or 91 there was a fake AIDS scandal at Rivercrest High School. Rivercrest ISD is in Johntown on Highway 271 between Bogata (pronounced buh-GO-tuh) and Talco. It's a consolidated district for that area. Anyway, there was a lady at the Four States Health Authority (or something like that) that turned out to have fabricated the whole thing.

Tons of history in Clarksville and Red River County. But, it's also a poster child for the small Texas town that is dead on the vine. It's sad, actually. Drive around and you can see it once had something going for it. I still have family in the area, but only get back about twice a year.

One other incident I'll always remember: spring of 1987, there was a bond election to build a new high school. The existing structure was built in 1917 (IIRC), was three stories, had no elevator, and no central HVAC. The bond failed and a remodeling project commenced after the school year to install some of the items previously mentioned. In July, after all the records had been removed, the high school somehow caught fire. At the same time, the old fire station (which was no longer in use) in back of the town square also caught fire. The volunteer fire department was left with a quandary: let the school burn and save the town or let the town burn and save the school.

The brand new high school opened in 1989.
ElephantRider
AG
Anywhere in Van Zandt or Wood. Really any county close to Van Zandt.

We were in a whole district of weird schools when I was in HS. Various combinations of Grand Saline, Edgewood, Quitman, Alba-Golden, Winnsboro, Hawkins, Lone Oak, Como-Pickton, and Cooper. I think after that Mineola, Eustace, Malakoff and some other weirdos started getting thrown in.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.