Hollytree Country Club vs. Willow Brook Country Club in Tyler

23,199 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Stive
rebelaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are looking to join more for the social aspect, pool and tennis. Golf doesn't really matter as I am terrible. Any pros, cons, thoughts or recommendations?
Dro07
AG
Are you new money or old money?
Josepi
AG
dromo07 said:

Are you new money or old money?

That's pretty accurate. Willowbrook is old money. Everyone I know who is a member of Willowbrook was born and raised in Tyler. Most of their father's, grandfather's, and greatgrandfathers were all members of Willowbrook. That being said, the vast majority of them are really nice people. I'm not a member, but I always enjoyed events and parties there,and my kids love the pool in the summer. If your family is going to be involved in Rose Fest, I would say Willowbrook. If you are into tennis, pick Hollytree. It has a very active tennis scene.
rebelaggie08
AG
I would say I'm neither old/new money, but we have only lived in Tyler a couple of years.
rebelaggie08
AG
Thanks for the info. The pool is a big factor in our decision.
Come Out Roll
AG
Very apt description....
As I grew up there in the '60's & '70's, we had NO money....had lots of friends whose parents were members of Willow......Holly Tree was brand new when I started college....
Funny story: for a friends bachelor party (while still in college), picked up some girls on the square, jumped the fence at Holly Tree and went skinny-dipping in the pool....
Dro07
AG
another option would be Tyler Tennis and Swim new location off of old Jacksonville should be opening in May.
rebelaggie08
AG
I have not been able to find out much about Tyler Tennis and Swim's new facility, other than it will be farther south of town.
suprafly03
AG
Okay. I'm a weirdo I guess........

I'm a member at WillowBrook and have been so for 3-4 years. I am NOT old tyler. I've lived here for 7 years.

We have great friendships out there. Yes, some are old money tyler, many are not.

It's a great scene for the kids. I don't know if you have kids, how many, what ages, but the pool scene is great. My summer bills out there are outrageous but to my wife and kids (5,3 and 1)hanging out at the pool. (Apparently the pool in our backyard isn't good enough).

Also, the food. Eat at the New Grill at WBCC and you'll see the biggest difference. It is without doubt the best restaurant in Tyler. Hollytree has greatly improved, but still can't touch the overall quality of WB.

Let me know if you want to go see it, grab lunch, play golf...I'm.always looking for a reason to head out there.

Oh, that's the negative. It's far out there...
suprafly03
AG
Agree on the Tennis thing. If that is part of your plans, just go to Hollytree.

I have two friends that are members of both. They golf, hang and enjoy WB, but play tennis out of Hollytree.

If golf is on your radar, I'd recommend WBCC. It's an easier and better maintained course. Too much water out at Hollytree. The bunkers tend to wash out, and greens are often flooded.

I'm terrible at golf too. But it's fun to get out there and screw around...Happy to have you out.
Come Out Roll
AG
Any of you guys that are there in Tyler...
Is the 8-Ball still down the street a-ways??
It's a pool hall where I spent many afternoon after leaving JT....
Memories, memories.....
AsburyAg
AG
I'm not a member of either, but I have been to both with friends. Both have good food and very nice wait staffs. I have played golf at HT and like one member told me, "I have people tell me all the time, 'I can't believe you pay to play out here.'" The water and rough are bit much for a lot of us hackers. I've never played WB, but I hear it is very nice and maintained - and they are reworking the whole course.

But... since golf isn't your thing, that's not key for you. If you want to play though, I would imagine WB would be a better deal for beginners.

With that being said... Wait just a bit and go visit both places. Tell them of your interest and let them schmooze you a bit. Try their food. Play tennis. Swim on their dime. See what fits you best. Then make your choice.

I know at one time HT had a special for younger new members - maybe 1/2 price?

On the Tyler Swim & Tennis - yest, it's a bit further south - but only about 2 miles south of Grande. It's not going to be that much further. They might be worth a look since you are primarily interested in those 2 sports. But - I doubt they will have the same kind of Sunday brunch as WB or lunch buffet that HT does.

Josepi
AG
I know the WB membership chair pretty well if you would like their email in order to ask questions. They also have a junior membership that is less expensive.
Dro07
AG
Ya TT&S will not have hot food. They may have premade food from fresh or somewhere like that but not type of hot food that the other places offer.
suprafly03
AG
Josepi said:

I know the WB membership chair pretty well if you would like their email in order to ask questions. They also have a junior membership that is less expensive.

Hmmmmm, who are you????? Friends with HF?

Junior membership is a bit cheaper dues. And no purchase buy in . Junior is 35 and younger.

The membership buy-in occurs at age 36. You are forced to buy "stock". It is a member owned club which has a lot of advantages over a corporate owned club.

Imagine a problem occurring that needs an expensive repair. The corporate model wants to save cash and get the job done in a way that makes sense to the bottom line. At WillowBrook, they just call some rich guy (you know their names) and he writes a big check for us all to enjoy.

Yay! I turn 36 this year. Time to pony up a check of my own.
Josepi
AG
suprafly03 said:

Hmmmmm, who are you????? Friends with HF?

I'll never reveal my secret identity! Yes, I know the Fr***** clan well.
TOM-M
Come Out Roll said:

Memories, memories.....
No, it's not. Hasn't been there for a long time. Tidmore auto parts and those trashed out apartments are about all that's still the same in that spot.

Spent lots of time there too, when I should have been in class at JT.
Come Out Roll
AG
TOM-M said:

Come Out Roll said:

Memories, memories.....
No, it's not. Hasn't been there for a long time. Tidmore auto parts and those trashed out apartments are about all that's still the same in that spot.

Spent lots of time there too, when I should have been in class at JT.

Hey T....are you a JT alum? When did you graduate???
'81 for me....
TOM-M
Come Out Roll said:

'81 for me....
Yep. JT class of '80. My wife was '81.

Figured we had to be pretty close when you mentioned the 8-ball.
RockOn
You might consider the new tennis and swim if you can wait for it to be completed.
Come Out Roll
AG
TOM-M said:

Come Out Roll said:

'81 for me....
Yep. JT class of '80. My wife was '81.

Figured we had to be pretty close when you mentioned the 8-ball.

Good to hear!!! You don't mind me asking, who are you and the rib???
If you don't want to say publicly on here, email me at aggee85@gmail.com
catfan
Which one do the Brookshire clan attend? Haha.
Dumpster Fire
catfan said:

Which one do the Brookshire clan attend? Haha.
I've been to Willowbrook with some of the grandkids. But I wouldn't be surprised if they had memberships at both.

Reginald Cousins
S
Just pony up and move to Emerald Bay.
suprafly03
AG
Nah, he'll probably wait until retirement to move to the retirement community...
Reginald Cousins
S
suprafly03 said:

Nah, he'll probably wait until retirement to move to the retirement community...

It's getting much younger.
suprafly03
AG
Rebel, pm or reply if you're interested in WBCC. Their membership drive started today, so good deals are to be had.

I can get you the cost info.
rebelaggie08
AG
Thanks, we already joined WBCC a couple of weeks ago. Probably should have waited.
suprafly03
AG
Hahaha.

You'll love it. It's one of my favorite things about living in Tyler. Now you need to get sucked into the money pit known as golf.
stantheman01
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

Just pony up and move to Emerald Bay.

Eagles Bluff hands down
Murphag
Has the new Tyler Tennis and Swim Club opened yet?
Stive
AG
No. They're shooting for June 1.
Dro07
AG
They update their Facebook with videos and pictures on the updates.

https://www.facebook.com/tylertennisandswim

Here is a video of the concept

They are working through some issues but should be opening like Stive said in early June but if you want to tour the facility just get a hold of Tyler Baranowski out there and she will show you around.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Are they doing two pools, the one in now seems to have no kids end and be much smalller than the old one.
Dro07
AG
No idea on the pool. It wasn't part of our scope of work but from what I've heard is that they're expanding the pool from what they have now. But I don't know how it relates to the old pool in size
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.