Weslaco girls softball

1,104 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by sgadeke03
Duckhook
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Weslaco was trailing 9-3 entering their last at-bat in the bottom of the seventh.
Win the state championship on a walk-off grand slam on a 3-2 count. Pretty incredible.
oldord
AG
Way to go panthers!
RGV AG
AG
I was told about the thread on the baseball board so put some info there. Our daughter has played for Weslaco these last 3 years and this is her senior year. She will play at a JC in the fall, or at least that is the plan.

This Weslaco team is a damn good team and can play toe to toe with the best HS in Texas. And they proved it this past weekend. Uncharacteristically they made several errors in the first 4 innings allowing 3 runs in that they shouldn't have.

The MVP of the game was the homeplate blue, that is why Weslaco gave up so many HR's, the guys strike zone was smaller than a match box and Midway has big time hitters. Our big hitters were off and too aggressive at the plate. But the blue called it both ways and we when our girls started laying off the pitches they started walking some girls. 3 of the HR's Weslaco gave up were solo HR's, but they still hurt. The other batters they were able to get out defensively. The score going into the 7th inning should have been 6 to 3.

In the 6th and 7th inning the Weslaco girls started laying off pitches and forcing the Midway pitcher to throw down the middle. In the 7th she gave up 2 walks and hit a batter, my daughter and two other girls had singles and the bases were loaded and Andrea cranked the shot. She was batting like .190 for the playoffs up to that point but she has a ton of power and she showed them.

Also Weslaco left 2 runs on the field by running themselves out of one inning and trying to reach home on a hit that the girl got drilled on, the coach should have seen that clearly and stopped her at 3rd, with one of the best hitters coming up to bat.

But alas they pulled it out in dramatic fashion.
Duckhook
AG
My wife is a HUGE San Benito sports fan, especially football and girls softball, even though we're long past having kids in high school. She followed the SB girls all the way to the state championship in 2022.

She likes to support other Valley teams as well when they advance. On Friday night we were out eating when Weslaco won in extra innings. She was watching the game on her phone. Harlingen South had already won, and she talked about us going to Austin on Saturday to watch the games, but we didn't in the end.

What we missed! Congratulations to your daughter.
RGV AG
AG
Interesting, both games Weslaco played in were worth the price of admission for sure, especially the Guyer game.

If she knows some of the SB softball girls, especially some of the ones that graduated the last two years we have friends in common. My daughter knows many of those girls and is close to two of them, but both graduated last year and the year before. My wife is also close to the parents. Over the years we have had many acquaintances whose kids played at SB.

SB softball is a lot of fun and there are usually some neat girls there, we only know a couple of the girls still there, and then not even very well. My daughter played up in age so many of her friends from softball were older.

Speed is the killer in the RGV, the as you go north the faster the girls get. Nowadays a lot of the Valley girls are playing either completely out of the Valley or with Valley teams that don't play locally. That has helped a lot, but the overall speed component is still lacking. The travel coaching in the RGV can be excellent, but the HS coaching is lacking compared to the softball powerhouse schools.

My daughter just found out she made the Texas Girls Coaches Association All State team, so that was a nice honor. The Weslaco folks are gonna ride this celebratory mule for a while. I hope they, and we, enjoy it.

OXDL45
AG
Congratulations RGV Ag! Great to see for Weslaco, the RGV, and of course the players & families!
RGV AG
AG
Thanks boss, appreciate it. This is a big deal for Weslaco. Actually for the RGV, first state title in something other than soccer and a football one over 60 years ago. So think about that, Weslaco is bursting at the seams with pride.
sgadeke03
AG
This was a remarkable game!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.