Peidras Negras/Eagle Pass Border Situation

3,252 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by StoneCold99
doubleag91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is not Aggie football related, but I wanted to get it to as many eyeballs as possible.

I don't want to sound like an alarmist, but maybe we should be alarmed. There is a humanitarian crisis on our southern border. In Piedras Negras, Mexico people are caught in the cold weather as they wait their turn to ask for asylum. Some left their home countries in the summer and are not prepared for the winter weather they are encountering now. They lack shelter and food.
We can debate what should have been done, what could have been done to prevent their presence, but the fact is that they are at the border, they are lacking food and shelter, and they are fellow human beings. If you would like to help, there are some options.
Mission Border Hope located across the border from Piedras Negras has been collecting warm clothing, blankets, and sleeping bags to pass out to those in need. They are also preparing meals for folks in need.
Mission Border Hope
571 Quarry Street
Eagle Pass, TX 78852
www.missionborderhope.org
You can send a donation to them here: www.missionborderhope.org/donate
$100 will buy 10 sleeping bags or 100 meals; $500 will buy 50 sleeping bags or 500 meals; $1000 will buy 100 sleeping bags or 1000 meals. If you can only spare $10, you can provide one person with a warm place to sleep or ten meals you can change another person's situation.
If you would like to purchase a sleeping bag directly, Academy has one for $8.99 here: www.academy.com/shop/browse/outdoors/camping--outdoors/sleeping-bags-airbeds-cots/all-sleeping-bags?orderBy=3
And have it sent to the Mission Border Hope address above.
If you would like to make a cash or check donation, you can send it to
FUMC Johnson City
PO Box 207
Johnson City, TX 78636; or drop it off at 105 N. LBJ Drive.
If you have warm clothing, blankets or sleeping bags that you no longer use and would like to donate, those items can also be dropped off at FUMC Johnson City. If you have some other avenue to help folks at the border, please help that way. If you have a neighbor close to you in need, by all means, help them. We are called to help where we can. Thank you.

JobSecurity
Here4Wins
AG
You're right, not football related. Post in other board.
CashinOut
AG
Here we go....
Secolobo
AG
They have phones. Should have looked at a forecast. /this is south texas/

Why is this in Johnson City?
Can I go to sleep Looch?
Smoke-N-Mirrors
AG
If they're not smart enough to prepare for winter weather in the middle of winter then maybe we don't want them here anyway.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
You should know the choir you're preaching to. You'll find minimal support here, goodluck in your endeavors and I hope you manage to make a difference!
Daddy-O5
AG
DallasAggie87
AG
Thanks OP donation sent.
FightinTexasAggie08
doubleag91 said:

This is not Aggie football related, but I wanted to get it to as many eyeballs as possible.

I don't want to sound like an alarmist, but maybe we should be alarmed. There is a humanitarian crisis on our southern border. In Piedras Negras, Mexico people are caught in the cold weather as they wait their turn to ask for asylum. Some left their home countries in the summer and are not prepared for the winter weather they are encountering now. They lack shelter and food.
We can debate what should have been done, what could have been done to prevent their presence, but the fact is that they are at the border, they are lacking food and shelter, and they are fellow human beings. If you would like to help, there are some options.
Mission Border Hope located across the border from Piedras Negras has been collecting warm clothing, blankets, and sleeping bags to pass out to those in need. They are also preparing meals for folks in need.
Mission Border Hope
571 Quarry Street
Eagle Pass, TX 78852
$100 will buy 10 sleeping bags or 100 meals; $500 will buy 50 sleeping bags or 500 meals; $1000 will buy 100 sleeping bags or 1000 meals. If you can only spare $10, you can provide one person with a warm place to sleep or ten meals you can change another person's situation.
If you would like to purchase a sleeping bag directly, Academy has one for $8.99 here: www.academy.com/shop/browse/outdoors/camping--outdoors/sleeping-bags-airbeds-cots/all-sleeping-bags?orderBy=3
FUMC Johnson City
PO Box 207
If you have warm clothing, blankets or sleeping bags that you no longer use and would like to donate, those items can also be dropped off at FUMC Johnson City. If you have some other avenue to help folks at the border, please help that way. If you have a neighbor close to you in need, by all means, help them. We are called to help where we can. Thank you.

My God if this doesn't illustrate our relationship with latin america and the rest of the 3rd world I don't know what does.

They put themselves in a situation where this outcome is highly likely, and then ask us to save them from it. I love the old "we can argue about who is right later, right now they need help line".

I'm going to go blow all my cash and post on here "we can argue about whether it was smart of not to light my entire savings on fire and dance around it LATER, right now I need help paying my mortgage"
Courtesy Flush
AG
Why was this moved to the South Texas board? Shouldn't it have been moved to the Around the Globe board?
doubleag91
AG
FightinTexasAggie08 said:

doubleag91 said:

Mission Border Hope
571 Quarry Street
Eagle Pass, TX 78852
FUMC Johnson City
PO Box 207

My God if this doesn't illustrate our relationship with latin america and the rest of the 3rd world I don't know what does.

They put themselves in a situation where this outcome is highly likely, and then ask us to save them from it. I love the old "we can argue about who is right later, right now they need help line".

I'm going to go blow all my cash and post on here "we can argue about whether it was smart of not to light my entire savings on fire and dance around it LATER, right now I need help paying my mortgage"
The bolded part is for you, then. Find somebody who deserves your charity, if you like. Thanks!
Gordon Bombay
StoneCold99
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.