Well the Valley got away with that one...Harvey

1,692 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by oldvalleyrat
scottimus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Imagine 30 in if rain hitting San Benito and Brownsville. You'd have families of 17 on roofs.
Suppose I was an idiot. Suppose I was a member of congress. But, I repeat myself.
PJYoung
AG
That was going to be a disaster no matter where it hit but flooding out a city of 6.5 million seems particularly tragic.

I have no idea how we would fare getting 40 inches of rain over 4 days or whatever it's been up there.
RGV AG
AG
The big problem in the RGV will be the Mexican side when and if a big ass storm hits. You are talking about 75% more population basically getting flooded out with nowhere to go but south into the brush and fields. It will be an issue, on top of major flooding in the valley.
Duckhook
AG
We've got more undeveloped land to soak up some of the rain. Not a lot of elevation change, like Houston. But they've got more creeks, rivers, bayous to drain water. I think with 40" of rain there would be areas of the Valley that would be like a bathtub for weeks.
oldvalleyrat
AG
This is exactly what Beulah was, if you are old enough to remember. My wife and I had just graduated and had gotten our first job in SA with a little one bedroom apartment. Many family members stayed with us from time to time. Our first trip back home was eye opening. You could smell that nasty water all the way to Alice. My brother volunteered to take one of his large bulldozers and help reinforcing the levies. Of course Red Cross was down on the levies SELLING coffee to the volunteers. Never forgive Red Cross!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.