Valley History: Asking Old guys

2,475 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rasslin Cheesehead
Owlagdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Like me.
As a kid, we would drive to Las Flores or Nuevo Progresso to eat at Arturos.
Seems there was a time that before you got to the bridge, there were acres and acres of farm equipment lined up there.
Dad said that it was Mexico who threw the American farmers out and they had little time to get it out before it was confiscated. Anybody else remember this, I have tried to search for the history, just wanted to know if anyone else knew the story, if true, or the real story.
skins74
AG
Not sure about that, but loved eating at Arturos!
oldord
AG
Anybody have any first hand knowledge about the old delta lake hotel? North of Edcouch

I remember going to the lake when I was young in the 70's but drove through there last week and saw the ruins of the hotel (Which i dont remember) and figured there was a great story there. Not much online.
oldvalleyrat
AG
I have to agree that there is some cool valley history. If you haven't gone by and visited the Museum of South Texas History in Edinburg, you have missed a treat. I used to do some presentations in their meeting room and the participants were always given a free pass to visit the collections. If you go on Saturday morning there is no entry fee (not that the fee is much to worry about any way). If you have been around the upper valley much you would be pleased to see how much history is tucked away there.

I have taken all four of my grand kids to MOSTH and they even liked it! :-)

My wife's mom has just taken up residence in an Assisted Living place in Mission and we are going to donate the yearbooks from Moore Air Base back in the early 50s when they moved to the valley. Her dad was a pilot instructor and her mom was a link instructor. If you like history, you should make MOSTH on your bucket list. It is on the northeast corner of the square in the old HEB store.

RGV AG
AG
Owlagdad said:

Like me.
As a kid, we would drive to Las Flores or Nuevo Progresso to eat at Arturos.
Seems there was a time that before you got to the bridge, there were acres and acres of farm equipment lined up there.
Dad said that it was Mexico who threw the American farmers out and they had little time to get it out before it was confiscated. Anybody else remember this, I have tried to search for the history, just wanted to know if anyone else knew the story, if true, or the real story.
I don't think I ever saw farm equipment in the volume that you mention stored near the bridge. I do remember that there were a couple of places down there that sold used and refurbished equipment. I don't think that it is likely that it was US Farmers equipment that was saved from Mexican appropriation, as if that were the case I doubt the Mex's let anything of value cross the bridge.

From what I understand there was not a whole lot of American farming done right across the river because of the law about foreign investment along the coast and a border swath of land. Plus, in a lot of the areas right along the river the land was really broken up into "Ejidos" and that is why there not a whole lot of large scale farming right across the river. It was not until the reforms in the Ejido laws in the late 80's, and through the 90's, that large scale organized farming became noticeable, at least that is my perspective.

Where there was large scale American, and mixed American/Mexican, presence in Agriculture, and there still is, is in the areas starting about 100 miles south of the river and going towards Tampico.

If I had to bet on the equipment you saw, I would think it was scrap stuff being sold into Mexico.
Centerpole90
AG
I am in complete agreement with RGV Ag on this one. Equipment yards you see along the border are used equipment being sold into Mexico. South Texas had a ready market for all it's used equipment - and it all went south. Go up to the midwest and you'll see farmers have generations of old machinery and tractors parked in the fencerows... not so in South Texas; because of Mexico and rust.
Gordon Bombay
AG
I saw it a couple weeks ago while flying and heard that there was a murder several years ago and the victim's body was either placed in or near the hotel, or that they discovered that murderer hiding in the compound at the time of arrest. I know this doesn't help much and I would be interested to know myself but can't find anyone that knows much about it.
oldord
AG
Thanks AGINTX, going to find some info somehwere...
Rasslin Cheesehead
AG
I grew up in Elsa. There's som info about the Delta Lake hotel on the delta area Facebook page.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.