West Texas
Sponsored by

Things to do in Abilene

2,474 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by EC13
EC13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I grew up in Abilene but stayed in College Station for a total of 10 years (most of my adult life) and moved back here a couple of years ago.
I have had difficulty finding things to do since I started my sobriety journey a few months back. Everything I did before centered around the brewery and bar scenes. It also seems difficult to make friends my age, as I'm a 30-year-old single guy, and everyone in my age group is married with a family or still running around with their high school "clique."
Also recently started mentoring an 11-year old through Big Brothers Big Sisters. We've been to the zoo, Prime Time, and the pool, but kid-friendly recommendations are also welcome to help me keep him interested in new activities.
TheSheik
AG
coming up in the next few weeks - the Abilene A&M club will have a booth at the West Tx Fair and Rodeo selling French Fries - would be a non-beer related activity you could meet local Aggies - both of my kids spent time every year starting about 10-12 helping at the booth - making sales - filling cokes - washing potatoes - sweeping the floor - its not a pleasant evening, but it was a lot of fun and was "good for them"

tonight is Aggie Happy Hour at Sockdolager Brewery - there will be non-drinkers there but it is a bar-type activity

next week at noon on the 1st Wed of the month 09/01/21 at Joe Allen's Corral Room is the Monthly luncheon

more Abilene A&M Club info at their Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/225476329101

other big brother options

one of my favorite things to suggest is Frontier Texas

WWII museum with cool army stuff - 12th Armored Division

both of those links have more info at the ACVB tourism board

movies at the Paramount

Grace Museum

send me a PM on here or tell me how to get a hold of you and I would be happy to talk by phone

EC13
AG
Thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately, it is moving day for me (I just bought my first house), so I won't make happy hour tonight.
I grew up eating Aggie Fries every fall. I'd be happy to help out if needed.
Does the club have watch parties for the games I can't make to College Station to see?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.