West Texas
Sponsored by

Possibly Moving to Midland-Odessa

5,105 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by LoudestWHOOP!
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was hoping for this forum's help on some questions I had about the area. I have a job offer on the table and was hoping you guys could give me some pointers or at least hit me with your opinions.

Before getting into the questions, here's some info about me. I'll try to be as detailed as possible to avoid getting sidetracked with background questions:

1) Single male, early 30s
2) No kids, never married
3) I own a dog.
4) Work in sports/news media
5) Worked in oil in the GoM for a few years, so I have a bit of understanding about that culture, but I'm sure there's differences.
6) Native Texan who has lived in DFW and Houston. I've spent significant time working in Corpus Christi, Brownsville, and Beaumont. I'm familiar with the state.
7) The job has an office in northern Odessa, but the work will take me all over the area.
8) The rent I'm looking for is in the max $1,000 range before utilities. Most likely, apartment, but I'm willing to look at all options. I understand oil ups-and-downs can drive prices way up or collapse them.
9) I'm not a loud person, hard partier, or anything of that nature. So, living where there's nightlife Is not a priority.

So, my questions:

1) How safe is Odessa compared to Midland? My preliminary research tells me Odessa seems to be a high-crime area, while Midland is more around the state median.
2) How feasible is it to live in Midland and commute to Odessa? Basically, how is the traffic to-and-fro on a daily basis?
3) Is one city better than the other (This is where I want your biased take on which is better)?
4) Do you have any recommended complexes or neighborhoods to look at?
5) My research says the cost of living is relatively low, but I also see places where certain expenses tend to be higher. What experiences do you guys have with this?
6) For those living out that way, how has the oil crash affected living expenses/rental rates/etc.?

Thanks for the help. I hope to get some good answers.
TequilaMockingbird
IB4 "raise a family in Midland , raise hell in Odessa"

I've lived in the area most of my life, and in my honest opinion Midland and Odessa are identical, except Midland has more tall buildings. Per capita income at the top level is higher in Midland, but I have yet to figure out how that benefits working stiffs like me.

When it was booming you could count on a 20 mile drive from Midland to Odessa taking 30-40 minutes. That has improved. Rents have come down as well. Houses are still high.

TxAg20
AG
Commuting from Midland to Odessa is not bad if you've been working in DFW and Houston. There are 3 highways between Midland and Odessa which flow pretty well until one of them is under construction, then commute times are likely to double.

I don't know what apartment rents are, but they're likely to come down if they haven't already. I moved back to Midland in 2008 and paid $900/month for a new 1 bedroom apartment on the north side of town. I believe rent has increased since then, but many more apartments have been built and many more are under construction. I think the apartment market will be saturated very soon, so I would lease something shorter term in the hopes that apartment rents start falling.

As far as where to live, I would look at any newer apartment complexes which are on the north and west sides of Midland and east side of Odessa. The two cities seem to be growing towards each other. That's also where most of the restaurants are. I'm not up to date on crime statistics, but I doubt east Odessa is any more dangerous than north or northwest Midland.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
1) How safe is Odessa compared to Midland? My preliminary research tells me Odessa seems to be a high-crime area, while Midland is more around the state median.
Parts of any city are worse than others, as mentioned above ... where Midland Odessa are coming together as some of the best areas. (i.e. North and West Midland and North & East Odessa)
2) How feasible is it to live in Midland and commute to Odessa? Basically, how is the traffic to-and-fro on a daily basis?
I have commuted 20 miles to Odessa for 26 years, 20-30 minute drive most mornings and evenings with traffic.
I used to tell people for every mile add a minute. Holds true most of the time.
3) Is one city better than the other (This is where I want your biased take on which is better)?
I consider Midland more Urban, Odessa more rural. They are more alike than than want to admit. Very similar good folks that uses sports as a reason to hate each other.
See #1, unfortunately I have no info on apartments.
5) My research says the cost of living is relatively low, but I also see places where certain expenses tend to be higher. What experiences do you guys have with this?
Cost of living is similar to Dallas from what I have noticed with my daughter. Housing is high and seems to drive everything else.
6) For those living out that way, how has the oil crash affected living expenses/rental rates/etc.?
Traffic has been really nice until there are no oil related jobs. eek
I have heard rents going down a little. I have not heard as much on houses.
I am not sure if more houses are for sale or if it just seems that way.
They are slowly opening up businesses.
Two pipelines (1 oil and 1 gas) were about to come online just before the pissing match with Russia and Saudi. Hopefully they come online soon.
West Texas Oil needs cars and airplanes moving to burn the fuel to get back to normal.
From what I have heard $40-50/barrel oil is enough, but $50-60 would be better.

Die 'Rona Die Die Die!
BassCowboy33
TxAg20 said:

Commuting from Midland to Odessa is not bad if you've been working in DFW and Houston. There are 3 highways between Midland and Odessa which flow pretty well until one of them is under construction, then commute times are likely to double.

I don't know what apartment rents are, but they're likely to come down if they haven't already. I moved back to Midland in 2008 and paid $900/month for a new 1 bedroom apartment on the north side of town. I believe rent has increased since then, but many more apartments have been built and many more are under construction. I think the apartment market will be saturated very soon, so I would lease something shorter term in the hopes that apartment rents start falling.

As far as where to live, I would look at any newer apartment complexes which are on the north and west sides of Midland and east side of Odessa. The two cities seem to be growing towards each other. That's also where most of the restaurants are. I'm not up to date on crime statistics, but I doubt east Odessa is any more dangerous than north or northwest Midland.
Awesome. Thank you.
BassCowboy33
LoudestWHOOP! said:

Parts of any city are worse than others, as mentioned above ... where Midland Odessa are coming together as some of the best areas. (i.e. North and West Midland and North & East Odessa)
I have commuted 20 miles to Odessa for 26 years, 20-30 minute drive most mornings and evenings with traffic.
I used to tell people for every mile add a minute. Holds true most of the time.
I consider Midland more Urban, Odessa more rural. They are more alike than than want to admit. Very similar good folks that uses sports as a reason to hate each other.
See #1, unfortunately I have no info on apartments.
Cost of living is similar to Dallas from what I have noticed with my daughter. Housing is high and seems to drive everything else.
Traffic has been really nice until there are no oil related jobs. eek
I have heard rents going down a little. I have not heard as much on houses.
I am not sure if more houses are for sale or if it just seems that way.
They are slowly opening up businesses.
Two pipelines (1 oil and 1 gas) were about to come online just before the pissing match with Russia and Saudi. Hopefully they come online soon.
West Texas Oil needs cars and airplanes moving to burn the fuel to get back to normal.
From what I have heard $40-50/barrel oil is enough, but $50-60 would be better.

Die 'Rona Die Die Die!
Good stuff.
zachsccr
AG
I know people that live here in San Angelo that commute to Odessa everyday. Probably not very helpful, but sounds like commutes are pretty sane and reasonable.
Ag2Max
AG
I prefer Midland over Odessa for many reasons but if you want to be close to your Odessa office stay on the East side of Odessa. If commuting isn't an issue I would live in Midland over Odessa. Just personal preference.
Baron von Bulsh
They're both trashy hellholes, Midland is just a trashy hellhole with an air of arrogance to it.

I spent the first 27 years of my life living in Odessa, but I never really knew how much I hated it until I left. I went back recently to visit family, and that trip just reinforced how thankful I am that we're not living there anymore. I hope this job offer is a tremendous career move for you.

More to your point though:

I lived in Odessa and worked in Midland for several years, the commute isn't bad at all.

If you're looking for apartments in Odessa, rule out anything south of 42nd street and anything west of Andrews HWY. Exceptions being the apartments around Faudree, around the Mission area.

I can't offer any advice on apartments in Midland because I never lived over there. I would assume that you'd want to stick to the west/northwest part of Midland though.

If you do end up moving out there, be sure to check out this one thing. It's the single, solitary thing that I miss from my time there.... Summer Mummers.
Jjstats08
I have a house you can buy or rent in Midland! You should definitely live in Midland.
TxAg20
AG
Baron von Bulsh said:

They're both trashy hellholes, Midland is just a trashy hellhole with an air of arrogance to it.

If you do end up moving out there, be sure to check out this one thing. It's the single, solitary thing that I miss from my time there.... Summer Mummers.
So, in your opinion, is a trashy hellhole a good thing or a bad thing?
MR Gadsden
So I may be in the minority but I actually enjoy living out here. I enjoy the dry weather and the people. We are only a few hours away from the mountains in NM so escaping the heat on the weekends is as easy as a 4 hour drive to Cloudcroft or 3 hours to the Davis mountains. I live out in Greenwood and am married with kids so my experience may be different than yours. But overall I've lived in much worse environments. If you end up making it out this way, let me know and we can grab lunch or a beer.
Kanyes psychiatrist
Live in Midland, great food. El Banquete is the best Mexican restaurant outside of anything from Rick Bayless.
mslags97
AG
Grew up in Odessa and moved back there almost 14 years ago. My kids go to a private school in Midland, so we just moved to Midland about a year ago. Much prefer to live in Midland over Odessa. Main reason for that is that our lives are over here with the kids/school/sports/friends..... but I do think Midland has better management and parks and neighborhoods.

Cost of living is not low. We moved from San Antonio, and were shocked to find a much higher cost of living here.

Overall good place to live. Good people. Not a ton to do, but you aren't far from mountains and some NM beauty.

Commute is not bad. I do it regularly. It's gotten lots better the last couple of months. Hoping that goes away though.

I second the opinions of others on the locations for apts. $1,000 is probably only going to get you a one bedroom though.
Predmid
AG
Quote:

It's the single, solitary thing that I miss from my time there.... Summer Mummers.

Bunch of weirdos at that show.

Cromagnum
AG
Hot. Dirty. Lots of trashy people and crime, especially oilfield trash when things are booming. Hope the career opportunity is good but I personally would turn down 100% of offers that would move me out there.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Cromagnum said:

Hot. Dirty. Lots of trashy people and crime, especially oilfield trash when things are booming. Hope the career opportunity is good but I personally would turn down 100% of offers that would move me out there.
Funny I feel the same way about most of the eastern half of Texas coming from Houston.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

I was hoping for this forum's help on some questions I had about the area. I have a job offer on the table and was hoping you guys could give me some pointers or at least hit me with your opinions.

Before getting into the questions, here's some info about me. I'll try to be as detailed as possible to avoid getting sidetracked with background questions:

1) Single male, early 30s
2) No kids, never married
3) I own a dog.
4) Work in sports/news media
5) Worked in oil in the GoM for a few years, so I have a bit of understanding about that culture, but I'm sure there's differences.
6) Native Texan who has lived in DFW and Houston. I've spent significant time working in Corpus Christi, Brownsville, and Beaumont. I'm familiar with the state.
7) The job has an office in northern Odessa, but the work will take me all over the area.
8) The rent I'm looking for is in the max $1,000 range before utilities. Most likely, apartment, but I'm willing to look at all options. I understand oil ups-and-downs can drive prices way up or collapse them.
9) I'm not a loud person, hard partier, or anything of that nature. So, living where there's nightlife Is not a priority.

So, my questions:

Thanks for the help. I hope to get some good answers.

So did something change or did you finally make it out here?
If so welcome!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.