West Texas
Sponsored by

Midland Public School

10,136 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LoneStarBQ
DTAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags,

Being evaluated for a good career opportunity out in Midland on Friday.

Was browsing the real estate apps last night and did not see a whole lot of higher ranked public schools in the area.

Do any exist? checked a few pockets and couldn't find above a 5 rating.

Am I looking at private schools for better education? If so, what are some yall recommend?

TIA!
TequilaMockingbird
Grade(s)?
DTAg09
AG
Oldest just started Kinder, 3 year old about to start pre-k, baby as well but she's only 5 months.

Thanks,
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
North and West Midland typically have the better neighborhoods and schools, of course with exceptions.

I think the Elementary level is most vital - discipline, reading, studying, math basics, loving to learn & go to school.

What we did with our kids who are now 25 and 28.
Started at Midland Christian (Church of Christ) for Elementary for good fundamentals and discipline.
Switched to St Ann's (Catholic) to save money through Junior High. Probably would have started here since we are Catholic, but did not check it out thoroughly enough.
Oldest went back to Midland Christian for Freshman then finished with honors at Lee HS is now teaching at Midland ISD. My son really liked MC and would have liked to have graduated from there, but for the $$$.
Youngest left in the middle of 7th, got on the GT track at Abell JH, graduated #5 at Lee HS. Got a full ride to UTD and now works for Dallas ISD.
JD05AG
AG
My kid will be starting kindergarten next year. We are on the waiting list at Hillander, my wife is a legacy at Trinity, but it's more $$$ than Hillander so I'm hoping he gets accepted there. He's currently at Holy Trinity Preschool, the waiting list is long there, but congregation members get preferential treatment. My kid won't be going to MISD if I have anything to say about it.
AG1996
My boys went to Hillander for elementary and then to Abell and the oldest is now at Lee. Hillander provides an excellent foundation and is reasonably priced. We've had great teachers at Abell and at Lee as well.
Mark Fairchild
AG
St Ann's is an excellent school. Academically and socially far superior to public schools.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I almost wish they would do away with public elementary schools altogether, even though my son teaches SpEd at one. He probably wouldn't mind teaching at private if it paid the same.
Jjstats08
Midland classical is awesome!
Predmid
AG
Schools out here are terrible.

No exceptions.
Jjstats08
Do you have any history with midland classical?
Predmid
AG
Really hard to recommend a christian private school if you're not christian.
c-jags
Predmid said:

I wouldn't say that. My kids go to a private Christian school and there are numerous non Christians in their grades. Your kids going to be taught other things I'm sure you won't agree with in any school.

Is Midland Greenwood not a higher regarded school these days?
BourbonAg
AG
c-jags said:

Predmid said:

I wouldn't say that. My kids go to a private Christian school and there are numerous non Christians in their grades. Your kids going to be taught other things I'm sure you won't agree with in any school.

Is Midland Greenwood not a higher regarded school these days?
Greenwood is a separate ISD from Midland and you have to live out close to Greenwood to go there. To my knowledge, it is not nearly as highly regarded as it used to be.

We send our oldest to St. Ann's and we are not Catholic. She is only in 1st grade but we have been impressed by the school overall.
jaggiemaggie
AG
DT: where did you end up sending your kids?
MR Gadsden
DT if you are interested in all in Montessori schools, checkout yucca blossom for the younger kids and yucca studio for the older one. It's based on Montessori type school started about 10 years ago in Austin called Acton academy. If you have the inclination there's a good book that was put out by the founders called Courage to Grow by Laura sandifer. Our oldest is in second grade there and is thriving. Any questions or just want to grab lunch sometime email me at mrichline@gmail.com.

-Mike
LEJ
nu awlins ag
AG
I maybe heading west by July. Wife was looking at Trinity. Anyone know if that is good? Rated high and she knows of others sending their kids there. Problem is my oldest will be a junior and youngest in 6th grade. All boys, so the drama shouldn't be as high....hopefully.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
nu awlins ag said:

I maybe heading west by July. Wife was looking at Trinity. Anyone know if that is good? Rated high and she knows of others sending their kids there. Problem is my oldest will be a junior and youngest in 6th grade. All boys, so the drama shouldn't be as high....hopefully.
Don't believe I have heard much negative about Trinity school except the higher tuition.
nu awlins ag
AG
Sweet. If you can tell me or if you know, is Midland Lee really that bad of a high school? The cost of living there is way more than it is here in Katy, so I'm having a hard time thinking of having to send 3 boys to private school in oil rich Midland.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
nu awlins ag said:

Sweet. If you can tell me or if you know, is Midland Lee really that bad of a high school? The cost of living there is way more than it is here in Katy, so I'm having a hard time thinking of having to send 3 boys to private school in oil rich Midland.
My kids started at Midland Christian for Elementary and it was a great start.
Then they went to St Anns (we are Catholic) for Junior High - Many of the kids went on to college, a majority to A&M.
And then they went to Lee for High School where both finished honors with the daughter #5 earning a full scholarship to UTDallas.
My kids graduated from Lee in 2010 & 2012.
nu awlins ag
AG
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
nu awlins ag said:

Nice. So the schools are decent to good then? My oldest carries a 4.5 GPA, QB in high school, gets "it" so I'm not too concerned with him, it is the other 2, especially my 10 year old who is dyslexic. I know it is more about the parents than the schools, but you need good schools to back up what you teach/encourage at home. Appreciate the feedback.
My daughter got into the GT (Gifted and Talented) program at Abell Junior High so she had a great group of kids, great classes and teachers as a result. I don't know of any changes to the GT program. Maybe others can fill in.

My son just took regular classes and got over a 3.5GPA at Lee, and graduated from UTPB. When he was 5 diagnosed what was eventually called Aspergers, was given Speech and Occupational Therapy from MISD while attending private schools. Now he is a SpEd teacher at MISD.
nu awlins ag
AG
Cool. We know a couple whose son has Aspergers and he's attending Lone Star College right now. Good kid whose fought hard to get to this point. Again, thank you for the insight. My wife is driving me crazy with all the private school stuff.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
nu awlins ag said:

Cool. We know a couple whose son has Aspergers and he's attending Lone Star College right now. Good kid whose fought hard to get to this point. Again, thank you for the insight. My wife is driving me crazy with all the private school stuff.
Larger Private High Schools in Midland that I am aware of and their church affiliations if it matters
Midland Classical (Midland Bible Church)
Midland Christian (Golf Course Road Church of Christ)
Midland Trinity (I believe they were started by Catholic and a few Protestant churches)
Holy Cross Catholic HS (Very new)
nu awlins ag
AG
Thank you. I hope one of them has a football team and basketball team as that is what my boys play.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
nu awlins ag said:

Thank you. I hope one of them has a football team and basketball team as that is what my boys play.
Midland Christian and Trinity normally have very good football teams.
Irwin M. Fletcher
AG
My kids both went to Hillander (private pre k - 6) through sixth grade and it's very good. My son then went to Midland Classical from 7-12, and my daughter chose to go public SJ then Midland High. After seeing that I would recommend Midland Classical over public, they were one year apart and the quality of what each was doing was very pronounced.
nu awlins ag
JADE
AG
My kids' path, St. Ann's preschool through 6th, SJ then MHS. Both graduated summa cum laude Texas A&M University. Whoop!
andrabeth
AG
Late to this post but I am the proud Principal of General Franks Elementary in Midland ISD. Feel free to reach out to me with any MISD questions in general. My contact is on our campus page: midlandisd.net/Franks
andradotlancasteratmidlandisddotnet
I have been off the site after becoming a mom/principal/pandemic in the past 18 months. Plan to be more active.
WildcatterAg
AG
Our children attend HIllander and we have had a positive experience with it.

As an aside, Holy Cross High School currently has 66 students and is growing rapidly.
LoneStarBQ
AG
MISD making a lot of people mad during this freeze. Need better communication and more timely.
LoneStarBQ Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89 Midland, TX
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.